The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I gotta tell you boys I'm just thrilled with the 261. What neither Andre nor Brad will tell you is I was at my dealer first! I go in the back door and as soon as I walked in, there she was on the bench. I walked right into the work area and my dealer says; "Grab a scrench and take the top cover and the bar nuts off" I grab a crench and he comes over and starts; I said "No worries Don, I saw it on youtube, I know how to take the top cover off and I know about the captive nuts". He looks at me and says "it's on youtube already?!?!?!?!" yup and on AS! Anyhow, I LOVE THE 261! IMHO Stihl has recaptured the 50cc saw crown once again! In the late 80's Stihl captured everyones heart with the venerable 026 (one of my own persoonal favorites) with the latest releases from Husky and Dolmar, she fell by the wayside. Not so now! It does weigh slightly more than the 026/260 but it's LIGHTYEARS ahead in technology! I love it. Long live the King!

Easy there cowboy,:hmm3grin2orange: I think it's a bit premature to call this one case closed, I have my hunch, but at this point that's all the empirical data we have. However I do feel you may indeed be correct.

I've had an order in for two months now, still no delivery date as of yet. Sure looks good but will remain on the buy list as long as things check out with Brad and his posse of saw evaluators.

Always liked the old 026, they're a real strong workhorse saw, I used one in the bush for a few years as a thinning saw where the 60cc and 70cc saws rule, but the 026 big advantage you could travel light with half the gas and oil to lug around and so much lighter and maneuverable in sh!t terrain, the engine is tough man, working it's ring out on the bigger trees but just keeps on keeping on, end of the day so much more comfortable to be carrying and first thing in the morning a relief to travel with half the weight compared to 60cc and especially 70cc's. Don't quite get what the hyped-up "clinging" bar nuts are all about on this new 261 though, what's the difference? you've still got to remove them to take off the bar dont ya?

the cool part about the new bar nuts is that they always stay on the clutch cover so you cant drop them and lose them. not sure how they will hold up bet its definately a good idea.

What I did observe of the video is that lack of any smoke at all...if the richness was increased would that increase power? Of course the EPA mandates "the clean burn" but still, was there any smell/smoke evident?

Curious. Great video, and evaluations of a new saw. Good job, will await the further results. Thanks!

Nice looking saw, seems like it runs good too. I might have to see if I can run one at the local dealer, not sure I could force myself to throw that kind of money at it though!

Yup, I went and did it. I had my dealer check with the distributor early this week with no luck. Then Andre and Nik checked with their dealer and got a different story. A couple days later, and good persistence by their dealer pressing the distrubtor, I've finally got a MS261. Just yesterday they still didn't even have a price in the system. These babies are hot off the rack.

Why am I so excited about this model? Despite catching plenty of flack for calling Stihl out where I feel they fall short, I'm still a pretty hard core Stihlhead. Yes, I wear orange goggles, but I don't wear blinders. For the last couple of years, I've probably worn you guys out going on and on about the 346XP. It is my favorite saw, the most impressive saw on the market, once modded. IMHO, a fellow only really needs two saws, 50cc and 70-80cc. So this class of saw is very important to me. I'd love to see Stihl take back the crown of the 50cc class. The MS260 just doesn't have what it takes to keep up with the 346, or even the 5100. I'd love to see this 261 surpass the 346, only because I love Stihls. They're all great saws, but this is fun seeing a new kid on the block with potential.

So, straight from the dealer to the wood lot, we had to test it out. We were all impressed, to say the least. It's super strong in the cut. Very impressive. It's smooth as silk as well. The filter is the best I have ever seen on a saw. It twist locks on and seals with a rubber lip. NO dust should get past this filter. Andre has the video of it's first cuts and should be posting them tomorrow. I'll be putting several tanks of fuel through it tomorrow and should have more pics and vids.

It's nice to have friends to share with. Both Andre and Nik met me at the dealer. I think they enjoyed it as much as I did. We were all three like kids in a candy store. Thanks guys!

For now, here are the obligatory partial disassembly/inspection shots.

1079380438_yjCMQ-M.jpg

1079380522_BeFzn-M.jpg

1079380598_nbrFD-M.jpg

1079355482_8ujgq-M.jpg

1079355482_8ujgq-M.jpg

Sir,

I know I am not a reg here so my opinion doesn't count for much but my wife just walked by the computer and chewed me out b/c men have not respect for their wive's nice dinner tables.

Would you mind continuing to post the great pics of the saw...in the shop, yard, I don't care but not the dinner table. Thanks. :bang::biggrinbounce2:

sir,

i know i am not a reg here so my opinion doesn't count for much but my wife just walked by the computer and chewed me out b/c men have not respect for their wive's nice dinner tables.

Would you mind continuing to post the great pics of the saw...in the shop, yard, i don't care but not the dinner table. Thanks. :bang::biggrinbounce2:

what????

Sir,

I know I am not a reg here so my opinion doesn't count for much but my wife just walked by the computer and chewed me out b/c men have not respect for their wive's nice dinner tables.

Would you mind continuing to post the great pics of the saw...in the shop, yard, I don't care but not the dinner table. Thanks. :bang::biggrinbounce2:

:hmm3grin2orange: i know what you mean! if i was to ever toss a saw on the dinner table (or coffee table for that matter) i'd be strung up by the little guy and flayed:laugh:

What I did observe of the video is that lack of any smoke at all...if the richness was increased would that increase power? Of course the EPA mandates "the clean burn" but still, was there any smell/smoke evident?

Curious. Great video, and evaluations of a new saw. Good job, will await the further results. Thanks!

Once a saw is warmed up, full-synthetic 2-mix does not smoke.
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
i love your cutting clothes snelling, at least you look good while doing it :bowdown:
Lol, cutting wasn't in the plans. But you know how it is when a few saw nuts get together:)

I know you are chomping at the bit but, run it with a bone stock 346 first, no mm's on either.

Then both with mm's.

Then both ported.
I'll try to do that.

There shouldn't be any smoke once warmed up.

Sir,

Lol, you don't know me. Should I post pics of saw parts in the dishwasher, or freshly painted once curing in the oven:clap:

:hmm3grin2orange: i know what you mean! if i was to ever toss a saw on the dinner table (or coffee table for that matter) i'd be strung up by the little guy and flayed:laugh:
The funny thing is, this isn't even my table. It's my wife's parents. I had the saw on news paper for the disassembled pics. Once I had it back together, I took the final complete saw pics without the paper. Nary a scratch was put on the table, even though that Oak did look a little tempting:)

The 261 makes a great bucket saw:) Pretty cool old Farmall H.

1080413961_ZqWj7-M.jpg

The old Willow blew down and needed removed. My BIL Sam and I got it all down this afternoon. I ran 1 1/2 tanks through the 261. Quite a few cuts were with the bar buried. It still continues to impress me for a 50cc stock saw. It's amazing the RPMs it holds in the cut, and when lugged down, just keeps cutting.

1080434207_6dm7w-M.jpg

Latest posts

Back