The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a die hard Stihl head I enjoy reading about the 261. The only thing that bothers me is the exposed fuel tank.Not very attractive and also exposes itself to injury.Ken
Exposed fuel tank? What saw doesn't?

Stihl shows it gained over a pound on their specs. So at 11.6 pounds power head only weight. Does that make the MS261 the heaviest 50 cc chainsaw being sold? That sure seems like it would be closing in on the weight of the MS361 59 cc 12.3 pounds.
I'll be putting the 346, 261, and 026 on postal scales. Both my BIL and myself thought the 346 felt measurable heavier than the 261. Both had 16" B&Cs and were full of fuel and oil. The scale will tell the story.

It's all the dang steel springs they stuffed into the chassis......:monkey::jester:
Leave those springs out, and you'll be behind the curve on AV technology. Most all recently designed saws have spring AV.

Brad, how many did you dealer get? All standard versions or some C-Qs?
Yup, just the one. As Nik said, they drove to the distributor and picked it up, so as to not have to wait on UPS. Can't beat service like that! I'm sure they can get more. Evidentally, the rumor about only C-Q models until January was wrong.

Brad...have you ever opened up an efco 952/152 just to see what happens after you did your thing to it? I know efco does fall a lil short when compared to stihl, husky, dolmar....efco air filtration sucks...i know..i admit it. I just like them cuz noone else does....but that thread you did while back about the cheap husky 350 was an inspiration to alot of us. I guess my question is if a stock efco 952 is more stout than a stock husky 350 what would happen if you got ahold of an efco 952 or would you even mess with one....that question has bothered me for quite some time....what could someone that knows what the heck they are doing get extra out of one of those "decent" saws? I ask you because you are not a hack..you apply science and numbers to the mix and then make a well thought out thread that we can all understand. Someone with money and a efco 952 talk this guy into it....please. I have efcos but no spare $$:cry:
Keep up the great thread!:cheers:
Hey, I'll give about any saw a try. But no, I've never even run one. I thought I was going to acquire a small Efco here a while back, but that never happened.

Brad you Ohio guys get your Stihl out of a distributor than I do, so the January thing is for us dealers covered by Northeast Stihl. And the time frame of them becoming available is based on how many MS260's are left in each one of the 12 region Stihl distributors warehouses.

Last edited:
Brad you Ohio guys get your Stihl out of a distributor than I do, so the January thing is for us people covered by Northeast Stihl.

Hopefully that won't turn out to be the case for you guys.
:( I was really worried about that. Had it been a C-Q, I wouldn't have bought it. I don't mind the feature, as much as I don't want the added weight.

Maybe its time to upgrade the old 026 pro....... Probably not. Is the 261 a real fuel sipper like its big bro the 441?

I'll be putting the 346, 261, and 026 on postal scales. Both my BIL and myself thought the 346 felt measurable heavier than the 261. Both had 16" B&Cs and were full of fuel and oil. The scale will tell the story.

MS 261 50.2 cc (3.06 cu in) 2.8 kW (3.75 bhp)

WEIGHT: 5.26 kg (11.6 lbs.)

FUEL TANK CAPACITY:

500 cc (16.9 oz)

OIL TANK CAPACITY:

270 cc (9.13 oz)

Specifications for 346 XP®
Cylinder displacement 50.1 cc
Power output 3.7 hp

Weight (excl. cutting equipment) 11 lbs

Fuel tank volume 1.06 US pint

Oil tank volume 0.59 US pint

Also Sir since you have a 026 to compare to the MS261. Do you have a older 346xp to compare to the newer 346xp. From what I have read here and everywhere else the NE 50 cc 346xp gained weight over the old edition 45 cc 346. Also do you have a 5100 to weigh while your at it Sir? Thanks :clap::cheers:

Also Sir since you have a 026 to compare to the MS261. Do you have a older 346xp to compare to the newer 346xp. From what I have read here and everywhere else the NE 50 cc 346xp gained weight over the old edition 45 cc 346. Also do you have a 5100 to weigh while your at it Sir? Thanks :clap::cheers:

I do not have a 5100 or a OE 346.

Do you have a older 346xp to compare to the newer 346xp. From what I have read here and everywhere else the NE 50 cc 346xp gained weight over the old edition 45 cc 346. Also do you have a 5100 to weigh while your at it Sir? Thanks :clap::cheers:

OE 346xp is 10.6 lbs, 3.4 hp

1079356721_ETk2P-M.jpg

why has nobody pointed out that that nice new filter design looks much like an echo cs-440 filter?
i guess stihl really likes other people's filter and prefilter ideas. :biggrinbounce2:

filter.jpg

Weights

Since the new MS261 is in these saw catagory of weights I thought this may help. Scale is calibrated to the Post Office Scale.

The 026 Pro is wearing a 16" 3/8ths RSC chain. 14.70 pounds.

The 5105 is wearing a 18" 3/8ths RSC chain. Note: non-cat muffler, lighter.
16.00 pounds.

The MS361 is wearing a 18" 3/8ths RSC chain. 17.10 pounds.

All fluids were filled to maximum capacity.

Sorry about the pictures if they don't show up, not sure how to upload correctly.

volks that's the first thing I thought when I saw the filter. The only thing that concerns me about the filter is the fact the rubber seal in on the inside diameter of the filter, I have reservations about it sealing properly. Time will tell.

She looks like a real runner. Gonna be interesting keeping up with this thread to see if the crown is retained or passed. WOOHOO! I love this forum!!:clap::popcorn:

saw weight

11.6 lbs would seem like a light saw to me. My old 028 super is 13 lbs 3 oz dry powerhead only.

The vids are in! I've also go pics of the 261, 346, and 026 on a postal scale. I think the results will be surprising! Before anyone comments, yes, I know the L is tuned lean. Throttle response is much better with the L on the lean side. I richened it up just a tad a little later one.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WOZTvF2XT4E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WOZTvF2XT4E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9PHbEK849MQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9PHbEK849MQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
The vids are in! I've also go pics of the 261, 346, and 026 on a postal scale. I think the results will be surprising! Before anyone comments, yes, I know the L is tuned lean. Throttle response is much better with the L on the lean side. I richened it up just a tad a little later one.

where are the scale pics?

blsnelling,

Can't wait to see how the 261 runs ported. Seems pretty strong for a 50cc as it is.

Is there any difference in the way the new strato saws have to be ported vs. the reg 2 strokes?

Great vids.

-Sean

Latest posts

Back