The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm heading to bed. I've got wood to cut in the morning:clap:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SIsO5AqzJaI?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SIsO5AqzJaI?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Darn I thought I was going to have more fun with this.:cry:

I've got to say the 261 is better than I expected. First it feels plenty light, it also has great throttle response for any new saw, especially for a new strato saw. This may be too early in the game, but I think it does have more power than my 346, and it has great torque for a 50cc saw. Remember my 346 has a MM and non limited coil. Time will prove or disprove my currant opinions. I don't think it handles like the 346, but it's a close call, better than most Stihl's in that respect.

Anyway here's the full vid of Brad's 261 in the wood.. We were cutting hard dry Oak, and some hard maple.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYdiJe5X7Fo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYdiJe5X7Fo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Woohooo!!!!!

First on the Block with the new toy!!!!!!!LOL!!:bowdown:

If I can ask, and before Nikko starts nagging politely, could ya toss the thing on the scales before ya go to hogging around with the burr?

I don't want to hear "Yeah it was 11.7lbs before ya took a pound out of the jug", and ya just know it will come up.LOL!!!

That filter is interesting the way they have it fastened.
I kinda like it. Looks about the same size as a 395xp Filter.:hmm3grin2orange:

Cool points galore on the captured bar nuts!

Little known fact is that 50% of the bar nuts cannot be tamed, and will escape to the wild at first opportunity, especially during Bar nut mating season in december through Mid March when they seek thier mates in deep snow.

The question is, how hard are they to replace when they get boogered?
Thall is gonna have a ball with them things...:biggrinbounce2:

Thanks for doin' a MM but otherwise stock comparo Brad!
Should be interesting to follow all the way through.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

lookin good guys....really lookin good! Thats a very impressive saw. I especially enjoyed watching it cut noodles. No clogg at all! My 660 would clogg almost instantly......This could be the new king of the 50cc saws.....

well I gotta tell you boys I'm just thrilled with the 261. What neither Andre nor Brad will tell you is I was at my dealer first! I go in the back door and as soon as I walked in, there she was on the bench. I walked right into the work area and my dealer says; "Grab a scrench and take the top cover and the bar nuts off" I grab a crench and he comes over and starts; I said "No worries Don, I saw it on youtube, I know how to take the top cover off and I know about the captive nuts". He looks at me and says "it's on youtube already?!?!?!?!" yup and on AS! Anyhow, I LOVE THE 261! IMHO Stihl has recaptured the 50cc saw crown once again! In the late 80's Stihl captured everyones heart with the venerable 026 (one of my own persoonal favorites) with the latest releases from Husky and Dolmar, she fell by the wayside. Not so now! It does weigh slightly more than the 026/260 but it's LIGHTYEARS ahead in technology! I love it. Long live the King!

The Stihl MS261 really is great! Have about only 5 tanks through mine (got it July 2010 for around 850$) and absolutely love it. Here we don't have many extra large trees, so 50cm3 class saws are most used. Have had MS260 from 2002 and on the first cut the difference in power and speed is very noticable although MS260 was well broken in and MS261 brand new (the RPM on stock saws have increased from 13500 RPM for MS260 to 14000 RPM for MS261). The anti-vibe compared to MS260 is a whole new game. The fatigue I get from vibrations of MS260 is much larger than fatigue from carrying that extra 0,4kg from MS261. The air - filter system is amazing - 5 tanks and I look at it after every tank and I go like: "When is it going to get dirty?!". But the most noticeable part is the fuel consumption. I cut and cut and it just keeps going. I admit - I often stopped just to look in gas tank and feels like it will cut for ages. Great saw! Until 555XP becomes available it definitely has taken the lead in 50cm3 class, despite being more expensive than competitors, but if I had to make the choice again - I would not doubt a second!

Last edited:
thanks BSn, FG, and Andy!!! OCSM......... it looks like another hard day in the woods!!!!

i am awaiting the MM 346 comparo.

it does look strong, especially when it was noodling....it does look stronger than a 346.

Looks pretty strong. I might have to run one of those one day.

I've got to say the 261 is better than I expected. First it feels plenty light, it also has great throttle response for any new saw, especially for a new strato saw. This may be too early in the game, but I think it does have more power than my 346, and it has great torque for a 50cc saw. Remember my 346 has a MM and non limited coil. Time will prove or disprove my currant opinions. I don't think it handles like the 346, but it's a close call, better than most Stihl's in that respect.

Anyway here's the full vid of Brad's 261 in the wood.. We were cutting hard dry Oak, and some hard maple.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYdiJe5X7Fo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYdiJe5X7Fo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks like you guys had fun!

Congrats to Brad! :D

The question is, how hard are they to replace when they get boogered?
Thall is gonna have a ball with them things...:biggrinbounce2:

Thanks for doin' a MM but otherwise stock comparo Brad!
Should be interesting to follow all the way through.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Another question, how do you take that clutch cover off with those nuts still on the bolts? :confused:

Sweet!!!

Congrats Brad!!! I like it! :clap:

Another good example of why we no longer have to fear the word "strato", huh? Let the good times roll.......:rockn:

Blood: Gonna have one by Thanksgiving?

my dealer hasn't even heard anything about a 261:bang: guess ill have to drive to cincy to gets me one of those

Thanks for sharing guys!

Looks like this saw is going to break some hearts.........or piss a few off :hmm3grin2orange:

TT

Latest posts

Back