The "Name That Wood" Game

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elektrobot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone?..........anyone?

So this guy I work with calls me up and asks if I want some firewood. Being the scavenger that I am, I immediately say yes, swing past to pick it up......and this is what I find. Anyone have any idea what this stuff is? I'm guessing this tree was no taller than 18 feet, it doesn’t really smell like anything, not sappy, and the foliage is just a stinking plain old round leaf. Most of the stuff was pretty small in diameter, 1-4 inches, this photo shows the very bottom section of the trunk.

Thanks for any info!

View attachment 34137

View attachment 34138

View attachment 34139

View attachment 34140

The leaves are very similar to cottonwood...wood, maybe as well. Is it soft, and easily split?

Looks to be a flowering pear. aka: bradford pear.

Its very heavy wood but im not sure of the heat value. Ive burned a piece here and there but never enough at one time to say its good or bad. Id lean toward the good side.

I concur on the flowering pear. I have one right outside my window here and the leaf is identical.

Tom

Yup thats appears to be a bradford. No heat value to speak of.I'd imagine you had about maybe 6' of trunk and then 100 small leaders
split off and went straight up.

Sounds Like It

Thanks-

I asked the person whos yard this came out of, and they said it did flower.

So.....No real heat value huh. Maybe it will be just enough to burn for when the temp. starts to change, but still to warm for big fires.

Thanksk everyone!

Fruit woods are often good for smoking meat due to their aromatic smoke. You may check with someone who likes to BBQ and see if they want any of it.

Worth a shot:)

If its good for BBQ.....

HickoryNick said:
Fruit woods are often good for smoking meat due to their aromatic smoke. You may check with someone who likes to BBQ and see if they want any of it.

Worth a shot:)

If its good for BBQ, then its priceless to me.....

Now you've got me all excited. I'll light some up after it dries for awhile and see what it smells and smoks like. Thanks for the thought!

Round 2

Eastern Pine?

Definitely some sort of pine, but I'm not sure what type. If anyone can help that would be great. I would like to know what kind of heat value it might have -or if I should just use it for kindling. The power company took down a bunch of trees last winter -and I tried to take as much of it as I could. This has been sitting in my driveway ever since. I have about a half cord of it....

View attachment 34300

View attachment 34301

elektrobot,

looks to me like Austrian Pine.

If you saw the trees prior to cut, were they dense canopies or open/sparse?

As for burnablility, Id burn it as a last resort or in the campfire. Very little heat value and hard to split....very stringy. You could split it really small and use it as kindling. Think of it as burning a 2x4. Fast.

I thought it kinda looked like blue spruce. If it is, it splits easy and burns hot for a short period, kinda like the 2x4 that was stated.

White Oak? Red....Black....?????

Ok,

Can anyone tell what type of oak this? It has a pretty strong smell to it, not really sweet....just smelly...... Any chance it can dry in time for this winter if its cut into 16" lengths and split within the next week? There are 3 more of these trees tagged by the city to come down. Anyone who lives near Fort Wayne and wants to pick up some of this stuff, let me know. Thanks for any info, I really appreciate everyones help on this forum.

View attachment 35525

View attachment 35526

View attachment 35527

I'll jump in,
pics in post 17 looks like elm, or black walnut, I lean towards elm.
pics in post 19 is pin oak
-Ralph

Post 17 is black walnut, not sure of the other. The white ring around the darker tells me its walnut. I have a million of them around here.

Latest posts

Back