The new ms362!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a cellphone pic wouldn't be much to go off of because most cellphones suck at pic quality, but how could he have stopped you to begin with? Call it chainsaw papparazzi if you will. I'd have whipped the phone out and snapped a few pics in 4-5 seconds and been done with it regardless of what he wanted. Later!

I talked to a high volume dealer around here a couple months ago about the ms362. He said he has been running a prototype for almost 2 years and he was less than impressed. He said "it's cold blooded like the 441", (I don't think the 441 is cold blooded). He said "If you want a good 60cc saw, you better get a 361 while you still can". I'm sure he was just trying to get me to buy a 361, but I have no use for a 60cc saw right now anyway.

The worst part is that he said "there are no plans in the foreseable future for a 661 or a 261". He claimed that he knows about all new saws at least 2 years in advance and that he has heard nothing about them.

Also, my prediction for the next strato stihls, after the 362, are the farm boss saws 290/310/390.

I think wtiht the volume stihl does on the 260, keeping it much longer is not going to be much of an option. I could imagine that the 660 and 880 will be around longer, just because they don't use that many of them, and I imagine they will want to save up all the credits they got from the 4-mix stuff to use on those models.

This concept of an omniscient dealer with two years worth of knowledge seems nearly impossible; I'll put money on the fact that there will be a replacement to the 260 within the next two years.

I think wtiht the volume stihl does on the 260, keeping it much longer is not going to be much of an option. I could imagine that the 660 and 880 will be around longer, just because they don't use that many of them, and I imagine they will want to save up all the credits they got from the 4-mix stuff to use on those models.

This concept of an omniscient dealer with two years worth of knowledge seems nearly impossible; I'll put money on the fact that there will be a replacement to the 260 within the next two years.

I hope you are right about the 260. The dealer I am talking about is the number 1 volume dealer of stihl saws in the US. He claims to have sold something like $1.5 million in saws last year. He said stihl brought him and some of his best costumers (loggers) to Germany along with a few other dealers and their costumers to ask what they were looking for in 70+cc chainsaws. I don't know if he is full of BS or not. But another AS member and Stihl Tech pointed me in his direction when I was looking for parts for an older saw. The other AS member was the one who told me about him being the number 1 Stihl dealer in the country. When I went to his shop, he had a dairy barn full (literally) of parts saws.

So if what he says is true, then they must be working on a 461 or 661 or God forbid an 881(I doubt it!). But it will not be out for at least a few years.

That being said, if the eventual 661 is to the 660, what the 441 is to the 440, then I will be the first in line!

The way it looks, the 261 will share its "platform" with the 271 and 291 - and the 362 with the 311 and 391.

That doesn't look promising too me.........:censored:

The way it looks, the 261 will share its "platform" with the 271 and 291 - and the 362 with the 311 and 391.

That doesn't look promising too me.........:censored:

I don't see the 260 being replaced with a clam shell design. On the other hand if it runs like the 211, I'll buy one anyway.

I don't see the 260 being replaced with a clam shell design. On the other hand if it runs like the 211, I'll buy one anyway.

From what I understand, the ms270/280 was supposed to be the replacement for the ms260, a few years back, but people still wanted the 260 so they kept making it. (That is what I was told by a couple dealers). Note, the ms270/280 are clam shell design saws! I don't know, but maybe that is the direction they are looking to go for -60cc saws. I hope not.

From what I understand, the ms270/280 was supposed to be the replacement for the ms260, a few years back, but people still wanted the 260 so they kept making it. (That is what I was told by a couple dealers). Note, the ms270/280 are clam shell design saws! I don't know, but maybe that is the direction they are looking to go for -60cc saws. I hope not.

That is true, but I hope they learned something from it! :givebeer:

kinda like Ford in 1988, when they were going to switch the mustang to front wheel drive and use a n/a 4cyl to power the base model and a turbo 4cyl to power the gt. the public didn't like the idea so ford decided to name their new vehicle the Probe which went in to production in the 1989 model year. so they kept running the same style mustang until 1994 when they switched to the fox4 body....... sorry kinda went off on a tangent:cheers:

kinda like Ford in 1988, when they were going to switch the mustang to front wheel drive and use a n/a 4cyl to power the base model and a turbo 4cyl to power the gt. the public didn't like the idea so ford decided to name their new vehicle the Probe which went in to production in the 1989 model year. so they kept running the same style mustang until 1994 when they switched to the fox4 body....... sorry kinda went off on a tangent:cheers:

If the R&D guys at Stihl were AS members, they would know exactly what folks were looking for! It amazes me sometimes, that people in the business of making things that costumers are passionate about, can be so out of touch with their costumer's passions. Anything to make a buck.

If the R&D guys at Stihl were AS members, they would know exactly what folks were looking for! It amazes me sometimes, that people in the business of making things that costumers are passionate about, can be so out of touch with their costumer's passions. Anything to make a buck.

AS members are not typical chainsaw consumers and are certainly not Stihl's target market. It would be foolish to expect them to design a product for our demographic. The best we can hope for is that the market-driven design criteria and our desires happen to intersect in a particular saw model, as they happened to with the MS361.

AS members are not typical chainsaw consumers and are certainly not Stihl's target market. It would be foolish to expect them to design a product for our demographic. The best we can hope for is that the market-driven design criteria and our desires happen to intersect in a particular saw model, as they happened to with the MS361.

as far as I know, AS members are either, pro loggers, pro tree service folks, pro firewood cutters, chainsaw techs, carvers, chainsaw mill operators, serious woodcutters, chainsaw enthusiasts, and the occasional homeowner types looking for answers, all of whom care enough about saws to spend countless hours discussing the ins and outs of them with strangers from around the world. If this doesn't fit the bill for "target market" or at least market cross-section for Stihl's pro line of chainsaws, then I would have serious reservations about purchasing another Stihl pro saw. My point is, there is a reason why people on this sight love certain saws, it would make sense for the saw manufactures to know why saw geeks love the 346xp or the 7900 or obviously the ms361. It is about more than weight/power. If such a discriminating crowd loves it, the general public probably will as well.

Last edited:
I want Stihl to remain healthy and stick around. So, if they need a wide range of saws to sell to remain so, fine with me as long as they still have and develop the pro line. I don't even look at the others, doesn't matter to me. Just give me a range of 60cc to 80cc saws [pro] and I'm happy.

I want Stihl to remain healthy and stick around. So, if they need a wide range of saws to sell to remain so, fine with me as long as they still have and develop the pro line. I don't even look at the others, doesn't matter to me. Just give me a range of 60cc to 80cc saws [pro] and I'm happy.

+1 but I'd like to see a little broader range than 60 to 80cc!

Exactly! :agree2:

i doubt Stihl pays too much attention to AS, especially when it comes to non-pro. they have enough experience building saws to know that power, weight, and ergonomics are major selling points to pros and serious wood cutters, and price, style, color and name-brand are what sell saws to the more casaul user.

i doubt Stihl pays too much attention to AS, especially when it comes to non-pro. they have enough experience building saws to know that power, weight, and ergonomics are major selling points to pros and serious wood cutters, and price, style, color and name-brand are what sell saws to the more casaul user.

You would think. But as stated before, the ms270/280 was intended to replace the aging ms260. But the pros who like their split mag case pro design had something to say about it, by way of not buying them. If that idea would have been run by AS, it would have saved a little time and energy.

as far as I know, AS members are either, pro loggers, pro tree service folks, pro firewood cutters, chainsaw techs, carvers, chainsaw mill operators, serious woodcutters, chainsaw enthusiasts, and the occasional homeowner types looking for answers, all of whom care enough about saws to spend countless hours discussing the ins and outs of them with strangers from around the world. If this doesn't fit the bill for "target market" or at least market cross-section for Stihl's pro line of chainsaws, then I would have serious reservations about purchasing another Stihl pro saw. My point is, there is a reason why people on this sight love certain saws, it would make sense for the saw manufactures to know why saw geeks love the 346xp or the 7900 or obviously the ms361. It is about more than weight/power. If such a discriminating crowd loves it, the general public probably will as well.

You have a great argument but we are a very small peice of the pie. Sales numbers generated by this site might be in the 5-6% range. You could also look at it like this: Most of the people around me know I love saws, AS helped me gain alot of knowledge along with a few members I have met here in person. When someone asks what saw or OPE they should get, I can usually point them in the right direction. Most of the time it's a Stihl, that is one brand I'm keen on and have the most experience with. I have recommended other brands though.:jawdrop:

i guess 13lb plus

i keep checkn this thread for a cell phone pic or pick of some sort. i cant belive all these prototype saws are out there and theres no pics on this site.

maybe its a 12lb turboed 50cc saw makn 6hp now wouldnt that be cool

Latest posts

Back