The newest 50 & 70cc saws in the market

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 681 kinda pissed me off the first I took a look under the hood and the starter...... I had to park my T-27 Torx and go find a T-25 Torx????? :deadhorse: :monkey: :bang: :bang:

Scott

The 656 is hardly all new. It is built on the same chassis as my 651pro. I recognize many parts. Crankcase, tank, muffler, air cleaner, side cover. Some small stuff that's different: primer, throttle lock is part of choke linkage instead of a button on left of handle. Starter is different but looks like it would interchange. Top cover obviously different, and certainly the cylinder under it. New model, but not a new saw.

Hi,

Solo-Germany told me, the 656 ist the new model with new technics. The 651pro only looks like the 656 - but technik ist like the old one. The new 651 has 1000rpm more than the old one. I`ve the new 651pro with 4 hp. Not the best ist the airfilter. But the "big" rest is a very good chainsaw. I would buy it again.

Roteiche

.......Solo 656 / 56cc / 5.3kg / 3.2kW
Dolmar 5100S / 50cc / 5.1kg / 2.8kW

.....Solo 681 / 81cc / 6.6kg / 4.7kW
Dolmar 7900 / 79cc / 6.3kg / 4.6kW

Slight misprint, corrected above......

...and the Dolmar weights are a bit optimistic - wonder about the Solo ones?????

Solo has a reputation for optimistic hp ratings, wonder how they are this time........

Hi,

Solo-Germany told me, the 656 ist the new model with new technics. The 651pro only looks like the 656 - but technik ist like the old one. The new 651 has 1000rpm more than the old one. I`ve the new 651pro with 4 hp. Not the best ist the airfilter. But the "big" rest is a very good chainsaw. I would buy it again.

Roteiche

I love my 651 and didn't mean to suggest that it was a bad design. I think that it still holds up pretty well against many newer models. If the rest of the Solo line had been as good as the 644/651 they would be way more popular than they are today.

+1 on computeruser's statement. I really LIKE their older boxy design...its all business...and I know I'm going to get cr*p for it, but I'm not that keen on the bubble top thing on the Dolmars (wouldn't stop me from having one, though.) I hear Solo builds very nice saws.... I've been hoping to luck onto one that needs a few small things, but nothing has come down the pipe.

Double Standard????

The 681 is pathetically similar to the 7900. Come on, an ounce of originality would be nice. Especially on non-functional, aesthetic elements. Geez.

Looks to be very true.

Don't the Chinese get "hammered" for making copies of products.:help: Wonder if Solo will get a free pass.:monkey:

I do sincerely appreciate the posts and the information. Thank you.:clap:

Well I just peeked at the clutch side of the 681........... First off the chain tensioner is inboard with side access, But the hole in the clutch cover is too small for a standard scrench to fit through????? So now you either need Solo's Scrench or carry a small screwdriver to the woods. Took a look at the clutch drum and Hmmmmm it has the Dolmar Logo on it I know where Solo bought that. same with the Clutch it also has the Dolmar logo on it also the oil pump driver is the same.. Looking at the crankcase castings it looks like they just changed the gussets in the mold the same basic design is used.

So Yea SOLO gets a C- for Originality

Scott

656, 675, and 681

Bailey's has been testing these "new" saws for over a month now. The 656 is basically a next generation saw based on their sucessful 651 chassis. A little more cc and some different plastic, but overall just a larger cc saw. The 675 and 681 have a lot in common with the Dolmar 6400-7900 saws, in fact many of the internal parts (cylinders, crankshaft, etc) are interchangeable. Apparently, Solo had an agreement with Dolmar to manufacture certain parts for them (Solo in Europe is a major chainsaw brand name), so they built all kinds of parts for the Dolmar 6700-7900 molds. They obviously had a disagreement down the road, so now Solo is using those molds for themselves. We are waiting to go to market with the 675 and 681 for further testing, but we will be offering the 656 in about 3 weeks. The good news is many replacement parts that fit the 6400-7900 will be interchangeable with the 675-681.

EPA credits? They don't need no stinkin EPA credits! Ha.
I have heard they have something up their sleeve, but I haven't all the details yet.

It sounds like if you own a solo and don't have a solo dealer nearby, you may be able to get some parts from the dolmar dealer and vice versa. This may be beneficial for some members here. Now if we only knew all the details of what parts are in fact the same.

We will be working on that this fall on our website. Many saw parts are interchangeable between manufacturers, and we plan on listing as many manufacturer part numbers as we find them.

It sounds like if you own a solo and don't have a solo dealer nearby, you may be able to get some parts from the dolmar dealer and vice versa. This may be beneficial for some members here. Now if we only knew all the details of what parts are in fact the same.

You can buy parts from Solo online...I think that would be quite handy.

Latest posts

Back