The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
photoS.JPG

Looks good on the baby saw, but it will prolly permanently reside on the 394. I don't think it is a Sugi Light. There is no insert, but that thing is much lighter than a power match

Mine were cheaper, but I then had to pay for shipping. The hard heads drive great, but they are twice the price. The last longer cause I feel worse when I hit them with the saw

Yeh, I figured they were high. I bet the orange ones at the Stihl shop are pricey too though. I need to go up there this weekend and see if my dual port cover ever came in.

When it is chilly, tin pants are great. It needs to be chilly because it is best to wear a pair of long handles underneath. For a top? It depends. If I'm moving a raincoat is too hot and becomes a sauna coat. Wool sometimes makes me break out. The answer? Layers. A lightweight capilene or imitation shirt with a polyfleece sweater over that. Or fleece vest. Keep more dry tops in the pickup and if you are lucky enough to make it back at noonish or so, you can change into dry clothes. If it is cold, and pouring, then a rubber type raincoat is the way to go. That nylon stuff gets torn up. The rubber gear can be patched easily with duck tape. If you use the tape with the flames on it, you'll move faster.

Tin pants last longer than the rubber pants and breathe. You can use boot grease in a pinch if you live out in the boonies where you can't buy the wax to recoat them. I also have a tin cloth hat that I wear around here, except it makes my hair smell like wet canvas for a while. Hint, be careful where you sit if you use boot grease. I brought a towel along to protect the pickup seat.

today was just special. got caught out in some micro burst's . soaked to the bone in 60 , 75 mph winds. machine acting up. 30 min, stop by a safety stop by the cops . binged me for a marker lamp and plate lamp. wtf . tomorrows another day.

What a fantastic day huh? Went up Gilbert Creek, they dropped me off with the saw and said we'll be back in a couple hours. I just looked at them and said "OK". Then hunkered down and waited. Not one thing hit the ground, nothin. They was none to happy about it either, but I'm still in one piece to tell to tell them to pack it. What kinda fool expects wood to hit the ground in wind like that. The afternoon did pan out to be much nicer though, and much more productive even if it was cotton wood on the bottoms.

How was your drive back? Randy and his Mrs doing well?

Owl

View attachment 317903

Looks good on the baby saw, but it will prolly permanently reside on the 394. I don't think it is a Sugi Light. There is no insert, but that thing is much lighter than a power match

Those white inserts is the light part. The regular sugi are solid with no white polymer inserts. Nate has the spikes in if you haven't got some from him yet.

Those white inserts is the light part. The regular sugi are solid with no white polymer inserts. Nate has the spikes in if you haven't got some from him yet.
Thanks for the info on both counts. That metal man has promised me real spikes for the baby saw for a long time now

I just looked them up. Thanks, I'm gonna order the Weather Watch jacket and see how that goes. Nothing does well in green briars though....except heavy wool! LOL! Thanks!
You really should check out the Filson stuff. Spendy as hell anymore. But if you're working in the brush it'll outlast several pairs of rain gear even Grundens which is topnotch stuff as Bob posted.

You really should check out the Filson stuff. Spendy as hell anymore. But if you're working in the brush it'll outlast several pairs of rain gear even Grundens which is topnotch stuff as Bob posted.

You're right. I like the Grundens for working in the rain but a good set of Filson gear will last better if there's a lot of brush and thorns. I could always move a little better in the Grundens but after a couple of seasons they had more patches on them than original material. I had Filson pants and coats years ago but the last time I looked at the prices I almost bit my cigarette in half. Besides, us semi-retired guys aren't supposed to be out in bad weather anyway.

I'll amend my vote here...TC should probably think about Filson. Long term they'll last better than the Grundens but he'll have to weigh the cost per unit of use for himself.

Well, there is a place in a town kinda near me, named partly for a giant star, and partly for our avian friends, that has what I believe are the lowest prices on Filson stuff. They tend to have slim pickings of Filson Tin pants this time of year. You need to get there in September.

I looked up Filson rain gear, man it's expensive. I think I will check and see if they sell 2nd's maybe. Hey guys, I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question, but what are "tins"? What are they made of? I was imagining something like and oil cloth...like a drover coat. Am I anywhere close?

Close. Super heavy cotton and then oiled/waxed. Super stiff and tough. If it gets super cold warm it up before you do anything with it or it can/will actually break in the creases. If you find it, buy 4 sizes to big. They can shrink down an awful long ways. Tough stuff.

Owl

So I got the missus home today... had to road her all the way, stupid truck driver douche waffle had trouble answering his phone or committing to a set time. Whatever I saved $300. and it didn't go nearly as horribly wrong as I imagined it would. Still driving through a town with really crooked cops/pigs, can be dicey in a road legal vehicle let alone a skidder... Last time I had this many double takes I was wearing a kilt riding a chopper...

Any way got all her covers off and ready for her annual bath and oil change, should be ready to go to the next job on sunday, or the weak after. Found all sorts of missing bolts and $800. in loose change... fixed the fuel leak, finally, and replaced a hose that was crying uncle, you know before it broke and shot $90 in fluid all over my face... cause you know that's where hydraulic fluid always goes...

Tomorrow I get to try and buy another dump truck... (last one sold 5 minutes before I got there...)

Good mornin' :)

Yesterday was exciting... 12 racks of ribs, 4 briskets and two brined turkeys. Dad and mom did most of the work, I came in after halftime. We sent home 4 racks of ribs with those that helped clean up. Brought home a full brisket and pan of ribs mixed with some turkey.

Jeff, I'm glad the chicken worked out for ya!

It's great to see you all posting here at home... Now for some coffee :)

I see a red sky to the east for the first time since returning from the CA road trip. And snowy peaks. The mole people better find their sunscreen and sunglasses today.

When the leaves fall off, I have a nice view.

Back