The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 318008 The Twins and I made fire this morning

Made a little fire too. No little helpers though. It was a great day for burning - no significant wind and 24 degrees at 8:00 a.m. Last picture is 10 hours later. I hope the FD leaves me alone tonight as I'm sure it will burn through the night. Ron

94372 IMG_3526.JPG IMG_3529.JPG IMG_3531.JPG

What do you do when you don't have the heart to wake them all up? Yup, that's right come here to AS.

Been up for 3 & 1/2 hours. We was gonna leave for round two of firewood duty about 6:30 or 7:00. But the snores of 3 young ladies and 2 young men told me that wasn't going to happen. They busted their butts yesterday, I don't have the heart to wake them up. Not until 9 anyway. Heck I didn't even want to get up this morning. Got a call Friday to come and get some wood from a guy we know just NW of town, Alder, Fir, Maple, and a light sprinkle of oak. He rang the gut hammer to come and get it. So we jumped. Talked to him about 5:30 or so this morning and explained my situation, and we both and a good laugh. HE said it will be there till we can get it out. It's nice to have understanding people. So now we juggle public land permits and this new found opportunity.

Oh, well breakfast is ready when they are, Home cured bacon, fresh dug taters, still warm eggs and some sourdough flap-jacks. That should fill'em up for a while. Yesterday the ate like birds in the morning. But lunch and dinner was a whole hog affair, I think they was hungry.

Good morning everyone, get up and attack the day.

Owl

What do you do when you don't have the heart to wake them all up? Yup, that's right come here to AS.

Been up for 3 & 1/2 hours. We was gonna leave for round two of firewood duty about 6:30 or 7:00. But the snores of 3 young ladies and 2 young men told me that wasn't going to happen. They busted their butts yesterday, I don't have the heart to wake them up. Not until 9 anyway. Heck I didn't even want to get up this morning. Got a call Friday to come and get some wood from a guy we know just NW of town, Alder, Fir, Maple, and a light sprinkle of oak. He rang the gut hammer to come and get it. So we jumped. Talked to him about 5:30 or so this morning and explained my situation, and we both and a good laugh. HE said it will be there till we can get it out. It's nice to have understanding people. So now we juggle public land permits and this new found opportunity.

Oh, well breakfast is ready when they are, Home cured bacon, fresh dug taters, still warm eggs and some sourdough flap-jacks. That should fill'em up for a while. Yesterday the ate like birds in the morning. But lunch and dinner was a whole hog affair, I think they was hungry.

Owl
well have some fun mr. and the drive was long , the visit was great but short. got home about 130 am mon. have things here to do that i put off yesterday. be safe and get some stuff to put in that non epa stove. lol.

Owl

Wow! That's a big crew and a big breakfast. Mind if we fly down???:) It looks like a fairly nice day here, hope it is there too.

Got the missus nickers back on... changed the oil, fixed all the leaks I could get to without dislocating my shoulder gave her a nice hot bath... looks like I'll be ready for the next project about two weeks early...

Now if I can just find a dump truck thats not a total piece of junk or sold 5 minutes before I get there...

By the way, remind me to wear a hat or something next time I have to pressure warsh something that filthy. And maybe invest is some rain pants.

Got some snow fall today. Last two jobs Bob and I have cut have been swamps, absolutely no rocks. This new job is higher elevation, I only cut for five hours today but changed out my chains about four times, was real good at buckin over rocks. Oh, Bob let me know I dumped a beech over the property line, one of the last ones I cut today. I plead ignorance, didn't notice the markers.

Anyone have any advice on a good cheap pair of winter corks?

you dont know me, but have been watching the site for a while. I wear hoffmans and they work out real well, good quality. I ordered them directly from hoffmans and they shipped them super quick as you can put a rush on them for a few bucks more.

Got some snow fall today. Last two jobs Bob and I have cut have been swamps, absolutely no rocks. This new job is higher elevation, I only cut for five hours today but changed out my chains about four times, was real good at buckin over rocks. Oh, Bob let me know I dumped a beech over the property line, one of the last ones I cut today. I plead ignorance, didn't notice the markers.

Anyone have any advice on a good cheap pair of winter corks?

Hoffman Fallers can still be bought as 2nds, you'll have to call for sizing. Oh and, YES they do loose a couple nails. In a years time I lost one nail in one boot and two nails in the other...I can live with that for a pair of 1/2 priced boots!

How you been doing IcePick? You learning a bunch from ol' bitzer? Whats this 5 hour shat anyway?? Pftt! Hey just ask bitzer ifn he ever threw one across a property line! LOL! Cheers man! ..stay safe out there! Tell him I said hello!

Hoffman Fallers can still be bought as 2nds, you'll have to call for sizing. Oh and, YES they do loose a couple nails. In a years time I lost one nail in one boot and two nails in the other...I can live with that for a pair of 1/2 priced boots!

How you been doing IcePick? You learning a bunch from ol' bitzer? Whats this 5 hour shat anyway?? Pftt! Hey just ask bitzer ifn he ever threw one across a property line! LOL! Cheers man! ..stay safe out there! Tell him I said hello!
I'm doing good, bitz as well. The Franklin is down, Bob's workin on the brakes in between cutting. Five hours today cause I got a nasty cold and the rain/snow mix was making for misery. Figured I'd cut out early and save my health a bit or go a few more hours and make it miserable the rest of the week. Hoping I'm going to be able to add a couple more days of logging a week coming soon.

If memory serves and inflation hasn't skyrocketed, the whites paks are around $250... although them vikings will keep your feet pretty toasty as well, all that kevlar makes for quite a bit of insulation add some felt insoles and a pair or two of decent wool socks, should be good to go.

If memory serves and inflation hasn't skyrocketed, the whites paks are around $250... although them vikings will keep your feet pretty toasty as well, all that kevlar makes for quite a bit of insulation add some felt insoles and a pair or two of decent wool socks, should be good to go.

Yup. My Vikings are plenty roomy and two pair of sox seems about right. When I ordered them from Bailey's they told me that they tended to run large for their size and they were right.
I've never worn them in extreme cold like Bitzer or Icepick work in but they were comfortable, and dry, in the 20s.

I think it depends on how much you are moving and how good your circulation is. I've gotten cold feet in the Vikings while standing around in the snow and waiting for somebody. The felt insoles were not enough. Then, they've done well while I was moving around, but I don't think they'd be enough fer da cheeselanders. A couple of guys dere wore bunnyboots in da winter. Isn't that the name for those super insulated white clunky boots?

Latest posts

Back