The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Same with Humboldt faces, skip chain, square chisel, and caulks. And they're going to really long bars...like 28" on their 660s and 390s. Those guys ( not the eastern loggers but the weekend warriors) have suddenly discovered stuff we've been using for years. It's kinda funny really.
If you want to really see OCD behavior in action read the 661 threads. I mean, it's a fine saw and all but I think some of those guys are in love. The attention to cleaning and detailing makes me feel kinda squirmy.
Yup been reading them fun entertainment tho. Watching the video of the 661 fever thread I see why the complain about long bars tips in the dirt

So I went and cruised a job today... its 10 acres of a 197 acre parcel that hasn't been logged in 100 years, some of these trees where left when they logged way back when ever...

Any way its steep ground, I've logged steeper, and there is a road sorta through the bit he wants logged, Doug Firs approaching 4', hemlocks not far behind, Alder with 30' of good peeler logs, the evergreen timber all knocking on 100' tall everything sounds great right?

Now for the problems, dude started cutting already, has at least one tree parked in another, slopping back cuts... lengths are a little funky, but I can deal with that if he stops now...

Other issue is dude made a deal with some other "logger" says he gave him 5k to "move equipment in" well suffice to say, the "logger" never showed... Makes me nervous, I mean I don't mind shafting a crook, but crooks tend to show up and demand retribution, then I have to shoot somebody... anyway it gets messy...

There is also an ongoing dispute with the county... county wants part of his property, county morons already have a hard on over logging because of the Oso slide... so dude don't want to get no permit... which I really don't care one way or the other, but if the county wants to get pushy I get stuck in the middle... though a DNR permit would be plenty...

So to make a long story short, this is the kind of job I've been looking for, but do the less then optimal circumstances add up to make me walk away? I've done dumber ****, and I'll probably do it again... but somethings telling me to walk on this one...

Forgot to mention some jack wagon Has been sneaking in and stealing maple... not for firewood but for instruments and such.
Run away. . . Don't walk.

Dang right shoulder won't let me sleep, but ... it gives me time to pray for more miracles for my little three week old granddaughter who was born with CDH. Here she is at the NICU at Vanderbilt in Nashville.

View attachment 386083 View attachment 386084

She came off the morphine today and the nitrous oxide. Four lines removed in the last two days. Bandage on left arm was removed tonight after the first picture. In her short three weeks and three days she has survived surgery, two weeks on ECMO (heart lung bypass), three weeks on ventilators and umpteen medicines. What a blessing! For me she is an unsurpassed early Christmas present that has taught me a lot.

Ron

PS The guys down at the woodlot say they miss me but the numbers tell otherwise. They delivered their 400th "load" on Wednesday. Last year we stood at 343. Of course my preseason work to help fill the warehouse didn't hurt.
I hope for the best. By looking at the little smile in the last pic we can see which direction shes heading[emoji106]

Thought this was interesting. Shows some steep ground anyhow. Must be southern hemisphere types.

The D7 using the arch: .

They must have wanted those logs real bad. Either that or the contract said they had to take them. They kinda acted like they didn't much care if they busted up the logs or not.
The guy on the Cat did a good job backing that arch. They're hard to back for any distance. Those things can be tippy. Pretty good job yarding with it too.

Latest posts

Back