The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a horsecrap diagnosis for a mangle leg one time. They threw me out of PT even. My thigh was smaller diameter than my knee joint after 5 days per week of PT for 11 full months. when they gave me walking papers. I bought a pair of telemark skis and two years later I could ski moguls fast and my thigh was bigger on the damaged leg than the good leg. I had 30% use of the leg when the big brains threw me out of PT. Two years later I had 90% use of it. Today it is 5/8" shorter than it used to be, but I don't limp at all (a conscious decision) and I have 100% use of that leg.

It ain't fun and it ain't easy, but keep plugging.

Don't listen to them or you will start believing them.
I found too many people, from Ortho's to PT's, treat the injury without due regard to the person nor helping encourage the best patient ownership and participation in their own rehab'. Basically, not enough people seem to have the experience, wisdom, or are secure enough in themselves, to spend enough time working out what works best for that patient, preferring instead blind adherence to a paint-by-numbers textbook approach.

As patients, it might be our first time at that sort of rodeo, or out of respect or insecurity, we defer to the greater wisdom and knowledge of the trained professional. We need to be encouraged more to find our own voice and think of the rehab as a collaboration, with ourselves as a key coordinator in that process.

Obviously, this opinion of mine is born from personal experience as a patient on all-too-many occasions and others mileage may vary.

Has any body noticed that suddenly the wrap handle is the cats meow on the chainsaw forum like its just been invented after years of listening to whats it good for. it gets in the way, its ounces heaver and affects the delicate balance and handling quality's of 70 and 90cc saws with 12 inch bars:dizzy:

Has any body noticed that suddenly the wrap handle is the cats meow on the chainsaw forum like its just been invented after years of listening to whats it good for. it gets in the way, its ounces heaver and affects the delicate balance and handling quality's of 70 and 90cc saws with 12 inch bars:dizzy:

Yup. Same with Humboldt faces, skip chain, square chisel, and caulks. And they're going to really long bars...like 28" on their 660s and 390s. Those guys ( not the eastern loggers but the weekend warriors) have suddenly discovered stuff we've been using for years. It's kinda funny really.
If you want to really see OCD behavior in action read the 661 threads. I mean, it's a fine saw and all but I think some of those guys are in love. The attention to cleaning and detailing makes me feel kinda squirmy.

All I can say about 6 Liter fords is they are a pile of crap. Roomate was using his grandpas for hunting and stuff and the thing is a hard starter and runs like crap until it's almost warmed up. We're pretty sure the glowplugs are toast or whatever electrical gizmo that runs em...

I think there are a few eastern loggers who still use the shorter bars. This weekend warrior discovered the benefits of a 28" bar long before discovering AS but only because it was hanging in my dad's shop. That seems to be considered a rather long bar here. The few shops that carry 660s all have 25" or shorter bars on them. Same with the big Huskys. After I caught CAD from AS, I have found the 32" bar to be my favorite in the woods. Big enough for anything I'll cut in the woods and saves the back when cutting wood on the ground. I only use my 36" bar on the big old yard trees found around here.

As to the full wrap all my old large saws came that way, I converted one to half wrap but it took less than a half day of falling a hand full of trees to decide that was a mistake.

From the comments I use to get from my weekend postings in the CS section, I think the vast majority do very little cutting even using the weekend warrior scale. Many just lack the opportunity; others like saws more than sawing. I love to cut and formerly scouted regularly for opportunities. Now that I am side-lined by my shoulder injuries, I find myself looking for posts of others doing what I had enjoyed. Hopefully, I'll mend soon and overcome the family and medical pressure to permanently put down the saw.

Ron

Did someone say 661? I just listened to a message on my answering machine from the young man at the local Stihl shop advising that they have a 661 in stock. First sales call I have ever gotten from a small engine shop and unsolicited at that. Must be something to the aura floating around in the CS forum. Ron

I love to cut and formerly scouted regularly for opportunities. Now that I am side-lined by my shoulder injuries, I find myself looking for posts of others doing what I had enjoyed. Hopefully, I'll mend soon and overcome the family and medical pressure to permanently put down the saw.

Ron

See if this helps...Slowp shot this at Napa a couple of years ago

Dang right shoulder won't let me sleep, but ... it gives me time to pray for more miracles for my little three week old granddaughter who was born with CDH. Here she is at the NICU at Vanderbilt in Nashville.

IMG_0422.JPG IMG_0423.JPG

She came off the morphine today and the nitrous oxide. Four lines removed in the last two days. Bandage on left arm was removed tonight after the first picture. In her short three weeks and three days she has survived surgery, two weeks on ECMO (heart lung bypass), three weeks on ventilators and umpteen medicines. What a blessing! For me she is an unsurpassed early Christmas present that has taught me a lot.

Ron

PS The guys down at the woodlot say they miss me but the numbers tell otherwise. They delivered their 400th "load" on Wednesday. Last year we stood at 343. Of course my preseason work to help fill the warehouse didn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back