The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vaguely remember parts of season 1, and the highlights of illegal "water logging" in season 2... I had to be told about both of em, haven't had regular TV since 2002?

I don't understand what half the "entertainment" is anymore anyway. The faces staring back at me in the grocery store checkout line have been strangers for well over 10 years now...

I can see where each of you would find little entertainment in the show and wish you could throttle someone for producing it. I originally watched it to learn something - didn't take too long to absorb all it had to give in my area of interest. I continue to flip to it to see places I've never been and likely will never go (I flip the Alaska shows for the same reason). Swamp Loggers seemed to be the closest to reality but as you all know most any mechanized work is repetitive and loses its appeal to the observer.

Having seen a few of these shows and the YouTube videos, I can understand somewhat the flood of absurdity posted from time to time on AS.

I shouldn't have been, but was, surprised by the inclusion of the Wyoming crew. They must be to loggers as the fly by night tree trimmers with a rope and a (insert here the name of your least esteemed and cheapest big box consumer saw) are to a professional tree service.

Ron

I don't understand what half the "entertainment" is anymore anyway. The faces staring back at me in the grocery store checkout line have been strangers for well over 10 years now...

This is my sentiment, exactly. I watch a lot of current cartoons but I download them so I can get away with not paying for cable that I won't watch.

does it have a little fur on the end of its tail?

No. And that made me wonder if it was a packrat. They have hairy tails. My kitty had shown no interest in attacking a full grown packrat. He's not a very big cat, but he is very mean, and smart.

The body seems to have disappeared. I fear it has been placed under the porch by The Used Dog.
I hope he buried it.

No. And that made me wonder if it was a packrat. They have hairy tails. My kitty had shown no interest in attacking a full grown packrat. He's not a very big cat, but he is very mean, and smart.

The body seems to have disappeared. I fear it has been placed under the porch by The Used Dog.
I hope he buried it.

Probably kept it for a snack.

when mom had a rental trailer down the road here, some fine renters brought with them some type of rat/mouse.........real small for a rat but to big to be even a deer mouse. they were about the size of what you had there but fatter with big eyes and a tuft of fur on the end of the tail. i thought we'd have a big problem but with cold winter, they all froze.........pick up a board behind that trailer and half a dozen lay froze. i was glad to burn that trailer. never have seen one since that year and still don't know what they were.

Been finding various rodents in the trail to the rigging shed, mice, moles, few small rats... The cat ( The Boll Weevil, cause she's lookin for a home) that hangs out around here really doesn't like being petted, or human contact in anyway shape or form, she's happy to eat her fud, and has a little cat house she hangs out in, and will bang on the door if she thinks its too late for fud, or WHINE i mean WHINE... when shes hungry... but pick her up and scratch her belly Hel No...

Anyway I think its a sign she likes us deep down where she won't admit it...

It turns out there's 23 kinds of woodrat (packrat).

I believe ours are the bushy-tailed woodrat. I've always liked them, & thought one would make a neat pet. They're very much like a chinchilla.

You would have issue with their strong urine I think though.

I had one in my chevy motor last summer camping. I coaxed it out with Fritos. Docile enough that he/she would take them from my fingers.

I've killed a bunch of them over the years, unfortunately they can be very destructive critters.

209259bd5eaf23bbd4b9d411cc5640a3.jpg

I live trapped one of those and killed it. The woodshed still smells and I have not caught anything but mice that were half the size of the dead beast of yesterday. It still seems too big for a mouse. A friend says baby packrats don't have bushy tails. I don't know. I'm sure it was a varmint.

Packrats try to take up residence each year in the woodshed. They make very nice nests using nice soft moss, but then they stink it up. I go out and fling peppermint oil around because I've read where that will keep them out.

It turns out there's 23 kinds of woodrat (packrat).

I believe ours are the bushy-tailed woodrat. I've always liked them, & thought one would make a neat pet. They're very much like a chinchilla.

You would have issue with their strong urine I think though.

I had one in my chevy motor last summer camping. I coaxed it out with Fritos. Docile enough that he/she would take them from my fingers.

I've killed a bunch of them over the years, unfortunately they can be very destructive critters.
Destructive even overnight just begins to cover them. Still jumping the starter
solenoid on the backhoe.
Cassie dog points them out on the rigs/
equipment then I'll get after them with
A .22 pellet pump pistol or set a Muskrat
size leg trap on the motors. Here where I'm
at lots of seed stock left from the old cabin
That was torn down several years ago as
Only got a few over 2 dozen this year,
so I'm gaining. :) spent half a day hunting
A set of keys left on a block by one of the sea containers & found them in a nest underneath
Trade Rat another name for the #$&# @×/%
Rock Chucks are a most as bad urine wise.

Back