The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haven't seen any true pack rats in awhile, but we got some norway rats and what not that make appearances off and on, some of the neighbors are less then shall we say tidy... there was a garden hose in a driveway when we moved in here 8? years ago.... parts if it are still there...

I've thought about falling, I don't think it would be too hard to make the transition.

I don't doubt you could transition but finding steady work might be the problem. If you already have contacts you might be alright but around here...because of the push toward mechanization...there are always more fallers than there are jobs. You could try for a job running a processor or a skidder but the really good outfits don't have much turnover and they'd want full production from day one. Same with feller bunchers. Sad but true. There's enough good experienced men available that the employers can pick and choose.
I'm not putting the knock on my profession but if you're eligible for retraining why not look for a growth field? Health care might be a good one. A good RN or even a tech of some kind can pretty much write their own ticket.
A friend of mine retrained as a refrigeration mechanic and he does real well. There are all kinds of choices.

One of the guys from another shop came and BS'd with me today while I was winterizing saws and other small engines. He was interested and seemed to pick up quite a bit. I was just doing the usual -- visual inspection, clutch and needle bearing, drain fuel tank, pull it through til the carb is dry, filters, that kind of stuff -- but of course nobody ever showed him what to look for. I wonder if I could ever generate enough interest where I work do do a class on that stuff?

I was feeling like it was about time to hang up the spurs anyway.

So long as it's your choice and not the Doc's. Lot's of people do lots of things Doc's said they could/would never do again. Hell according to the Doc's I'm not even supposed to be alive, twice now. Livin on borrowed time is the best way to live. Do your own thinking, come to your own answers for you.

Owl

I've thought about falling, I don't think it would be too hard to make the transition.
I thought falling was what got you hurt in the first place........
If that was too soon, I sincerely apologize.
If it's not too soon....... then you and Bob could produce some awesome "falling" videos.
The doc told me I'd likely never walk normal again, let alone run... or hike
Did the doc say anything about stumbling?

Seriously tho, I'd retrain in something that could transition to oilfield. Also, as Bob said, there's good steady work in healthcare

Also, as Bob said, there's good steady work in healthcare

Yup. Climate controlled work environment, interesting things to do, dependable paycheck, decent hours, no travel, and...once you're licensed or certificated...you can go anywhere and work. Three day work week, or four maybe. Pretty good pay if you're an RN and chances to move into different work specialties as you gain experience.

Not to mention the abundance of females. We're talking females who don't move their lips when they read, are known to bathe frequently, smell nice, and have more teeth than tattoos.

The only downside is having to put up with Doctors but you'll get used to that. Some of them aren't too bad and none of them want to hang around long enough to really be a PITA.

You're still young enough to retrain and have enough years in for a decent career. You have a chance to re-invent your whole life. That doesn't happen very often.

I got a horsecrap diagnosis for a mangle leg one time. They threw me out of PT even. My thigh was smaller diameter than my knee joint after 5 days per week of PT for 11 full months. when they gave me walking papers. I bought a pair of telemark skis and two years later I could ski moguls fast and my thigh was bigger on the damaged leg than the good leg. I had 30% use of the leg when the big brains threw me out of PT. Two years later I had 90% use of it. Today it is 5/8" shorter than it used to be, but I don't limp at all (a conscious decision) and I have 100% use of that leg.

It ain't fun and it ain't easy, but keep plugging.

Don't listen to them or you will start believing them.

I got a horsecrap diagnosis for a mangle leg one time. They threw me out of PT even. My thigh was smaller diameter than my knee joint after 5 days per week of PT for 11 full months. when they gave me walking papers. I bought a pair of telemark skis and two years later I could ski moguls fast and my thigh was bigger on the damaged leg than the good leg. I had 30% use of the leg when the big brains threw me out of PT. Two years later I had 90% use of it. Today it is 5/8" shorter than it used to be, but I don't limp at all (a conscious decision) and I have 100% use of that leg.

It ain't fun and it ain't easy, but keep plugging.

Don't listen to them or you will start believing them.
me too........my right leg is way bigger now. i believe i now use parts of it i didn't used to and thats why its bigger now. i don't limp and your right, ya have to think about it at first.

Back