The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jani and I went on a drive about this morning and came upon this stump. Is it a block face with a snipe with the added idea of a sloppingbackcut. Should have I posted this in "advanced falling cuts".

View attachment 399985 View attachment 399986 View attachment 399987

Looks to me like they put a tiny Humbodlt face on it, then put a kerf face deeper in.......................and then did the slopping back cut. It slabbed/chaired during the expertly executed back cut. Some true skill showed right there......

Looks to me like they put a tiny Humbodlt face on it, then put a kerf face deeper in.......................and then did the slopping back cut. It slabbed chaired during the expertly executed back cut. Some true skill showed right there......
Yea I thought it might be some super secret super advanced prototype technique

Ummm, we built a log cabin in my third grade classroom with logs that size. Cut and skidded them all by hand. I think we pushed most of them down, hung up in the surrounding limbs. Pretty sure our stumps looked better than that. Third graders with axes and hand saws.

Edit: And the 'hawks are doing just fine, thanks.

Lots old equipment rusting away,

Near my folk's place is a madill? a loader and what appears to be an early processor that have been parked for at least 10 years. The yarder may be the same one that was parked on an old FS road for like 7 before it migrated to its current location... makes me sad cause they could have been repaired or sold... now they are just rust and moss.

I kinda want that ole skagit.

Lots old equipment rusting away,

Near my folk's place is a madill? a loader and what appears to be an early processor that have been parked for at least 10 years. The yarder may be the same one that was parked on an old FS road for like 7 before it migrated to its current location... makes me sad cause they could have been repaired or sold... now they are just rust and moss.

I kinda want that ole skagit.
Madill are nice machines ,double ll down the street from here has a bunch of them
2014-07-169506-19-1695117 (2) madil.jpg

There are ole Skagits all over the place. I'd rather see them working, but they are a bit too big for today's wood.
Question from a non-yarder guy...could you use the big Skagits on smaller wood if you swapped out the heavy rigging for lighter stuff? Seems like a big yarder like that hauling lighter turns wouldn't be pulling its guts out and might not fall apart so fast?
Are the big yarders a lot more expensive to run than the smaller ones? I know they'd be more expensive to move but would that cost be offset by spending less money on rigging and less time on repairs?
If a lot of the big yarders are just sitting and rusting away would a guy be able to pick one up at a decent price and customize it to smaller timber?
I've never run yarders...and have no plans to.. so maybe these questions don't have good answers. Just curious.

But, like the firewood guys say "it went to the ground and nobody got hurt so it must be alright". :rolleyes:
Question from a non-yarder guy...could you use the big Skagits on smaller wood if you swapped out the heavy rigging for lighter stuff? Seems like a big yarder like that hauling lighter turns wouldn't be pulling its guts out and might not fall apart so fast?
Are the big yarders a lot more expensive to run than the smaller ones? I know they'd be more expensive to move but would that cost be offset by spending less money on rigging and less time on repairs?
If a lot of the big yarders are just sitting and rusting away would a guy be able to pick one up at a decent price and customize it to smaller timber?
I've never run yarders...and have no plans to.. so maybe these questions don't have good answers. Just curious.
Ive got a fuzzy pic at home I took last year being used of a skagit on average size timber but a very steep side Ill try and find it tonight.

According to a hooktender, they'll make it work if they have a long yarding distance. He was lecturing me on the need to have fewer helicopter units, except it wasn't the yarding that was making units into helicopter units, it was the inability to build or reopen roads. Anyway, they have a shop and yard along the highway and while their Madill 071s are seldom sitting behind the shop, their big Skagit is.

Decent stumps for guylines needed are getting scarcer, along with tailholds. They could still use a big cat as a tailhold if they could get it where it was needed.

A very small, gypo logger borrowed an ancient Tillman yarder. Besides his crew being inexperienced, that was a very slow machine. They rigged it up to a second growth tail tree and stump, no twisters or reinforcement, and pulled the tree over on their first turn in. I've got a picture or a video of that antique. I'll look for it.

Here's a smaller, antique Skagit. It ran on gas, not diesel. They spent more time repairing it than yarding and gave up. It was taken off the unit in pieces which were hauled to the scrap yard. This yarder was originally purchased by the father of the logger running it. It had then been sold and resold making rounds in the valley. He "rescued" it from the blackberries and got it running. They finished the sale with a larger, well used yarder.
gas powered skagit.jpg

Note the luxurious cab.
gas powered skagit cab.jpg

The Tillman tube raisin. I don't have very many pictures of it.
Tiller yarder tube raising.jpg
And a large Skagit working in second growth.
skagit on PB clearcut.jpg

Skagit yarder on PB w carriage.jpg

adding my own ? here, why not just pull a bigger turn?

Latest posts

Back