The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey that thing looks familer lol.
bad time for me Bob, been off two weeks for winter shut down........a month from now.......no, i'll get another one when time is right.
i thought you was gonna get it ported? besides ya got to have more than one saw........need a back up.

I was going to get the 461 ported, just never had enough clear time to get it done. You know how that goes.

I don't have anything solid on the books until March...weather permitting...and the PM850 will handle anything that comes up in the meantime. Eccentric sure did a fine job putting that one together.

I'll probably get the 661 from Madsen's and get it massaged a little like Cedarkerf did. Besides which, I can use the saw as an excuse for a road trip.

The guy that ran our local good saw shop died and I don't care to deal with his kids who took over the business. The little bastards offered me a good trade in on the 461 but then they kicked the price of the 661 up to compensate. I think they'd rather sell lawnmowers and leaf blowers to yuppies than deal with a bunch of knuckle draggers in suspenders and hickory shirts. They'll probably get their wish.

Did I get lucky with the local shop? Owner is just a little older than me and a hell of a good guy, my other favorite is a few miles away and getting more then a little old, his kids don't want anything to do with the shop anymore... From what I hear he hasn't learned to slow down any though...

Our local shop switched hands a few times, just not enough business for a stand alone saw shop any more. It closed, then the local hardware store became a Stihl dealer. The owner doesn't do any discounting, but his son that runs the saw shop part does. I really like working with him, nice kid, in his mid-twenties.

Did I get lucky with the local shop? Owner is just a little older than me and a hell of a good guy, my other favorite is a few miles away and getting more then a little old, his kids don't want anything to do with the shop anymore... From what I hear he hasn't learned to slow down any though...

I know what you mean. My dealer, and the way he did business, spoiled me. I dealt with him and his shop for almost 30 years and never had a complaint. If I needed parts after hours he had a lock box out back and I'd just sign the slip, grab the parts, and go. I've seen him rob a display saw for parts if the situation was serious enough... like when somebody...not naming names... clipped a 660 with the blade on a Cat and needed a new clutch cover.

Funny thing about that parts box. There must have been fifty guys that had a key or knew where the spare key was hidden and I don't remember anybody ever having anything stolen. The new owners don't have the parts box any more. They want cash on the counter during business hours.

On Saturday afternoons there was usually a pretty good choir practice behind the shop. Sometimes there might even be a little beer.

I was going to get the 461 ported, just never had enough clear time to get it done. You know how that goes.

I don't have anything solid on the books until March...weather permitting...and the PM850 will handle anything that comes up in the meantime. Eccentric sure did a fine job putting that one together.

I'll probably get the 661 from Madsen's and get it massaged a little like Cedarkerf did. Besides which, I can use the saw as an excuse for a road trip.

The guy that ran our local good saw shop died and I don't care to deal with his kids who took over the business. The little bastards offered me a good trade in on the 461 but then they kicked the price of the 661 up to compensate. I think they'd rather sell lawnmowers and leaf blowers to yuppies than deal with a bunch of knuckle draggers in suspenders and hickory shirts. They'll probably get their wish.
They dont do the dual port cover so thats something that I still have to do to wake it up a bit more . They dont have the dual vovers like they did for the 660s.

IDK if any of you remember last year i looked at a tract that an old [now gone] mill pond water line was a boundry.......well i had to meet with the forester today n he said i did right passing on it. been three different loggers in there, all left.
he even had trouble himself with the LO for illegal burning. boy am i glad i didn't get involved in that..........i hope them guys went by my flags on the property line........it could indeed not be over yet.

Latest posts

Back