The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had Madsen's do my Husky 372 Big Bore. Runs real nice. They charged me $150.00. They will only do saws they sell, so you can't send them one if you didn't buy it from them.

I had Madsen's do my Husky 372 Big Bore. Runs real nice. They charged me $150.00. They will only do saws they sell, so you can't send them one if you didn't buy it from them.

Thanks for that Joe. It might be just the excuse I need for a road trip to Warshington.

Can you explain the tubing part of this? I'm not picturing tubing in my head.

Owl

Just some 2" ? schedule 80 round tubing that fits over the ram on the jack, I may even have some more floating around, all it really does is keep the plate in one place, and allows it to sit against the but of the log. Weld the tubing to the plate set plate assembly on jack, pump away... One jack on a back leaner 40" fir and I bent the handle but it did lift it, with some help with the wedges, 2 jacks on a 5' spruce was no problem

Just some 2" ? schedule 80 round tubing that fits over the ram on the jack, I may even have some more floating around, all it really does is keep the plate in one place, and allows it to sit against the but of the log. Weld the tubing to the plate set plate assembly on jack, pump away... One jack on a back leaner 40" fir and I bent the handle but it did lift it, with some help with the wedges, 2 jacks on a 5' spruce was no problem

Got it. For some reason I was thinking rubber tubing. Don't know why. Now I know why I couldn't picture it. I was thinking like the springs on a Silvey or something. Are you talking just a nub, enough to cover the head of the ram to hold the plate in place? Our local Napa has a fair sale right now on 40 ton bottles. Will the plate still pivot some to keep good contact with the wood, so it doesn't try and spit? Bottles have made me nervous in the past, not much other choice now, unless someone looking is willing to sell an organ or something.

Thanks

Owl

There's an outfit in OR making new tree jacks. They are not affiliated with Silvey, to the best of my knowledge. I just googled them and not much came up but they're active on the Facebooks. Borntrager is the name of the outfit. They make a neat little toolbox/carrying case for them, too, which uses the pump handle to contain and carry everything.

Borntrager is the one I was thinking of, they advertise on C's list...

Owl, the tubing just slips over the top of the ram, and keeps the plate centered, should be enough slop to allow it to tilt but keep planted on the ram, the tubing is about an inch long, also helps to reinforce the top plate a wee bit. One of mine has a bit of a curve to it now, but it still works pretty good. Maybe I'll get some pics later.

Ran the 661 a bit today the anti vibe is so smooth compared to the old 066 I would say its at least as smooth as my 372 xpw. Really like the new control switch it no longer has a warm start position and after you kill it switch snaps back to run position automatically so ready to start when you pick it back up. Punched the oiler pin in and at 2/3 setting more than plenty of oil for 36" bar. Feels like a typical stihl my husky still feels foreign to me. Good throttle response revs as soon as you pull the trigger. Very well balanced with the 36" light bar. The Stihl light weight bar is much more rigid than the flexy flyer Oregon RW bars. Single pull starts every time after its warm. Glad somebody figured out stainless is the way to go for a muffler. Doesn't have the fat bottom girl feel of the 066 they narrowed it up a bit. I can take or leave the flippy caps wouldnt mind screw in caps. Just some random thoughts some may be interested in.

DSC_0408.JPG

Ran the 661 a bit today the anti vibe is so smooth compared to the old 066 I would say its at least as smooth as my 372 xpw. Really like the new control switch it no longer has a warm start position and after you kill it switch snaps back to run position automatically so ready to start when you pick it back up. Punched the oiler pin in and at 2/3 setting more than plenty of oil for 36" bar. Feels like a typical stihl my husky still feels foreign to me. Good throttle response revs as soon as you pull the trigger. Very well balanced with the 36" light bar. The Stihl light weight bar is much more rigid than the flexy flyer Oregon RW bars. Single pull starts every time after its warm. Glad somebody figured out stainless is the way to go for a muffler. Doesn't have the fat bottom girl feel of the 066 they narrowed it up a bit. I can take or leave the flippy caps wouldnt mind screw in caps. Just some random thoughts some may be interested in.

View attachment 391384
Dang it. Who can get one tax free out there?

Do you realise the rest of us mere mortals relied heavily on you lot to show us the real path of chainsaw enlightenment?

But now I see you sages teetering on a sycophantic Stihl brink and drooling like lovestruck teenagers, there simply is no point denying the world has tipped on it's axis beyond the point of no return.

As soon as the banks open from the holidays, I'ma gonna order me a pallet of these here wondersaws, shipping all of them to any hotrod saw builder that does good t-shirts, hats and fridge magnets, signing your names to the loan document, then sending them on to some Ebola plagued area or perhaps just to the UN so they can cure cancer or some such blight on humanity.

Ummm, could I please have your full names and addresses for the credit checks? I'd use mine but I'm drowning in debt as it is.

Thanks in advance.

Anybody interested in a 461R? PHO. Stock except for a Weber full wrap and a dual port muffler. Approximately 75 hours of run time since new on 100LL and Bailey's synthetic at 40:1. Good saw. $850.00
If there's no interest here I'll put in the Trading Post.

These pictures were taken when it was new. It's not quite this nice now but it's close. No major scars, scratches, dings or dents. Nobody ran it but me.

P4120254_zps5d19f895.jpg

P4120248_zpsf55860be.jpg

Anybody interested in a 461R? PHO. Stock except for a Weber full wrap and a dual port muffler. Approximately 75 hours of run time since new on 100LL and Bailey's synthetic at 40:1. Good saw. $850.00
If there's no interest here I'll put in the Trading Post.

These pictures were taken when it was new. It's not quite this nice now but it's close. No major scars, scratches, dings or dents. Nobody ran it but me.

P4120254_zps5d19f895.jpg

P4120248_zpsf55860be.jpg
hey that thing looks familer lol.
bad time for me Bob, been off two weeks for winter shut down........a month from now.......no, i'll get another one when time is right.
i thought you was gonna get it ported? besides ya got to have more than one saw........need a back up.

Latest posts

Back