The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually cut up a broken hatchet head then preheated the face beveled and dual pass welded my dad loves it for the limb hanging out of the loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Great idea. You'd have to be careful when you bumped your tires though.

e680ea32ed737254341b2818469df5c2.jpg
eed99412b437fc454181df57c8e384ea.jpg

A nice little limb beater for the truck, and on a side note are you still looking for an air cooled tig setup Matt?

Yes... I just picked up a MIG welder I was intending on flipping, but keeping the bottle and regulator... then get either a scratch start torch, or a carbon arc torch.

Tonight I pick up an engine drive air compressor... so carbon arc/air arc might be the next thing I get.

As for the binder beater/limb wacker/tire banger... one of my self loader jockeys has one like that, works pretty damned good.

Yes... I just picked up a MIG welder I was intending on flipping, but keeping the bottle and regulator... then get either a scratch start torch, or a carbon arc torch.

Tonight I pick up an engine drive air compressor... so carbon arc/air arc might be the next thing I get.

As for the binder beater/limb wacker/tire banger... one of my self loader jockeys has one like that, works pretty damned good.
How big is your welder source for running Carbon gouging? Regulators if you end up needing one let me know I think I have a spare I'd sell.

Another good option is what I do is just get a gen set big enough to run a small invertor tig stick machine, even on 110 I can do 90 amps to glue something together to get it home and to run the dual shield wire on it.

welder is a 225, 100% duty cycle, separate 8000w generator.

I know that most everyone is going to say you need 300 amps to arc gouge, but with 3/16 carbon rods 225 will do, and yes I know its hard on the welder... and its slow... and not ideal, but I don't have the 10k to blow on another engine drive that can push 400amps, nor do I really need it.

Its what I got so its what I'll use.

The inverter machines are cool and all, but spensive... See above...

Regulators are fairly cheap new, and I get nervous with used regulators, even the one on the new to me Hobart is iffy, even though it has very low hours, ****ing thing isn't even discolored yet. Tank that came with it is still at 2000#s plus. nearly full spool of wire on it too...

welder is a 225, 100% duty cycle, separate 8000w generator.

I know that most everyone is going to say you need 300 amps to arc gouge, but with 3/16 carbon rods 225 will do, and yes I know its hard on the welder... and its slow... and not ideal, but I don't have the 10k to blow on another engine drive that can push 400amps, nor do I really need it.

Its what I got so its what I'll use.

The inverter machines are cool and all, but spensive... See above...

Regulators are fairly cheap new, and I get nervous with used regulators, even the one on the new to me Hobart is iffy, even though it has very low hours, ****ing thing isn't even discolored yet. Tank that came with it is still at 2000#s plus. nearly full spool of wire on it too...
This is new in box, invertors aren't expensive honestly they're cheaper then a transformer setup. We used a 225 for a lot of years it finally died from gouging and honestly it's a lot faster then a grinder on heavy stuff.

New welders of decent power and quality are spensive in general... Used inverter machines are unobtainium for now.

I'm pretty gentle with my machines, so I don't see doing like a lot of welding or gouging, but it will be nice to do it when I need it... grinding sucks...

Though the genius that owned the skidder before me taught themselves to weld on the missus... so a bunch of the cracks that 440-A's get are boogered to all Hel, most are holding as of now, but some are definitely going to need attention, probably sooner then later.

New welders of decent power and quality are spensive in general... Used inverter machines are unobtainium for now.

I'm pretty gentle with my machines, so I don't see doing like a lot of welding or gouging, but it will be nice to do it when I need it... grinding sucks...

Though the genius that owned the skidder before me taught themselves to weld on the missus... so a bunch of the cracks that 440-A's get are boogered to all Hel, most are holding as of now, but some are definitely going to need attention, probably sooner then later.
These guys make good welders and plasmas I have one of their 80 amp plasmas it was 1100 shipped.

Yeah, I'm thinkin like 500 is about more then I can afford...

That essavator as cool as it is was spensive... and I'm not sure I've made any money with it yet...
It'll take a while to get efficiency out of it, a big thing holding you back is the bucket and thumb you really need a set of grapples and heel rack.

Plasma would be extra sweet as well... but also not in the budget right now, though the bad ass engine drive compressor made plasma a viable option.
Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist for Thermal Dynamics, or Hypertherm plasma cutters. A guy might be able to find used one, and maybe even somebody willing to trade some tree work?

Latest posts

Back