the oak tree from hell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If i was closer i would bring my chevy down there and pull it out for you there isn't anything that has stopped that truck yet :laugh:

Pictures must be real deceiving, cause from what I see, you could drive an ATV/trailer right up between the houses without even slipping a tire, but I know how pics can be when looking at angles/depths.

One more idea for you to chew on. Get a large set of log tongs, grab the rounds on the ends, right in the center, (pivot point) and pull em up the hill with a winch or what have you. If the rounds are actually roundish shape, they should roll easily.

I think on the standing dead, I'd ask the owner even thought it doesn't bother him now, where will the SD go when it decides it's stood long enough? You never know.

Maybe it's the pictures but it doesn't look all that difficult to me.
Rope it right above the break and use a come-along to the tree by the retaining wall.
Getting the wood up the hill might be a little tougher. I think I'd quarter the large rounds and wheel borrow them up to the retaining wall. At that point the wood can be loaded into a cart a the back of a garden tractor and taken away. I'd have a couple of teenagers there for the wheel barrow work.:msp_biggrin:

I took it that the reason vehicles couldn't be used was homeowner's preference.

Pictures must be real deceiving, cause from what I see, you could drive an ATV/trailer right up between the houses without even slipping a tire, but I know how pics can be when looking at angles/depths.

One more idea for you to chew on. Get a large set of log tongs, grab the rounds on the ends, right in the center, (pivot point) and pull em up the hill with a winch or what have you. If the rounds are actually roundish shape, they should roll easily.

My son, when he was a kid, had me weld up a yoke out of lawnmower handles that attached to rounds with a lag bolt in the center of each side so he and his sister could pull the rounds up to the truck. I had forgotten bout that!

I solved that type of problem ( walking it out) with a motorized wheel barrow. My spring done sprung quite awhile ago. Got a nice big ash out from behind a home and down a 20 deg incline to the tree, that was about a 40 yard hike. No way to pull it up and no way to get equipment down there. Naturally it was on the opposite side of the access point. Tried just with a younger muscle power , that didn't last long, bit the bullet and got a kit to power the wheel barrow. works slick for those. got to add a wide swivel tire in the back so ya only have to lift it to clear something once in awhile. 3 25"dia. 18" rounds in the barrow and me hanging on behind. Went up that incline like it wasn't there. got that whole 60 ft ash out and loaded in about an hour and 1/2 and lived to tell about it.

I solved that type of problem ( walking it out) with a motorized wheel barrow. My spring done sprung quite awhile ago. Got a nice big ash out from behind a home and down a 20 deg incline to the tree, that was about a 40 yard hike. No way to pull it up and no way to get equipment down there. Naturally it was on the opposite side of the access point. Tried just with a younger muscle power , that didn't last long, bit the bullet and got a kit to power the wheel barrow. works slick for those. got to add a wide swivel tire in the back so ya only have to lift it to clear something once in awhile. 3 25"dia. 18" rounds in the barrow and me hanging on behind. Went up that incline like it wasn't there. got that whole 60 ft ash out and loaded in about an hour and 1/2 and lived to tell about it.

Show us the kit!

I would think a garden tractor and trailer from the low road. Must be deceiving, I've been in terrible places with my 1962 Simplicity!

go to HF and buy some aircraft cable or acquire some chain. make necessary connections. hook to truck on the road. trim the branches. pull the tree from the road up the hill to the road. short sections of cable can be hooked together then removed when the truck runs out of room. back the truck up, hook the remaining cable and do it again. that's how i do it; beats the H out of carrying individual rounds anywhere, especially up a hill. i devised my method one day while struggling up a hill with a 2' round in my loving arms while thinking there had to be a better way. sure nuff there is.
to allow the truck to travel along the road you can set pulleys on some of the stouter trees. that eliminated rubbing the trunks with the cable/chain.
just wondering. is it possible to snake the cable between the houses and pull the log up the hill between the houses?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back