The Official "Buckin'" Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a question, I'm going to buck up a 30 inch oak log in the morning. i already have bucked some of it up. Anyway i use a wedge to keep the kerf open if i think it's going to pinch the saw. What else could be done without using a wedge? Probably still 30 feet of the tree left to buck up.

Got a question, I'm going to buck up a 30 inch oak log in the morning. i already have bucked some of it up. Anyway i use a wedge to keep the kerf open if i think it's going to pinch the saw. What else could be done without using a wedge? Probably still 30 feet of the tree left to buck up.

Stay home.

what i do is reach as far over the log as you can and cut letting the bar rollover toward the bottom of log then pull back and cut straight down when log starts to pinch pull bar back but not all the way out then cut down to the bottm and then come back up thru the cut . never stopping the cut. i think i explained that right. its easy for me to do or show how to do it but hard to explain. hell i drop ,top and buck all day long but telling someone how is a different story.

Well, I guess I am queer. I have wedges along and will use them if it looks like I might have a problem. Sometimes the blowdown won't do what you think it ought to, and a wedge will save some work.

I also launched a round of wood pretty high in the air when I missed a bit of vine maple. It was impressive. No hurts, just a lesson in looking more closely for that stuff.

attachment.php

I was nervous about that tree the farthest out but it turned out to be OK. I just had to stand on my tippytoes after cutting it off the rootwad. I used a wedge in the rootwad cut.

I am winding down after having attended the Lawnmower races in Morton. I believe I am deaf now.

Last edited:
what i do is reach as far over the log as you can and cut letting the bar rollover toward the bottom of log then pull back and cut straight down when log starts to pinch pull bar back but not all the way out then cut down to the bottm and then come back up thru the cut . never stopping the cut. i think i explained that right. its easy for me to do or show how to do it but hard to explain. hell i drop ,top and buck all day long but telling someone how is a different story.

Circling, I definately do that a lot.
I buck in woods much my saw timber sometimes because of length as logging pieces over 40-50' becomes problematic in a number of places. other times because logging pieces over 600 bf also becomes problematic, in some ways the same and some ways different. Yes, more hooking for the hookers, but its faster in the end- easier and faster to get to the road, especisally wround residual timber, easier to set out for the skidder, easier ona skid trail switch back, and easier on the loader at the landing- not to mention the advantages to me when merchandising the stem. I'm talking about big oaks, and big and/or tall poplars for the most part. All the junk pulpwood, etc., which there can be plenty of, goes out unbucked. I'm generally on some pretty damn steep ground.

one leg up- a lot of the time thats the best way to stand too, but if theres is real tension there before the end of the cut I am going to get both feet on the ground, one way or another.

I like wheeling and use it when I can, but it can also have suprising results because there is no easing over of anything so when you break 'er free its all happening at once. Hopped up and modded saws are what allow progression into more and more advanced technique. God bless lots of torque and as many rpms as you can get!

I used to not buck in the woods much. Now, its all the time. I like it, one reason being it gets everything laying better across broken ground, you can break a tree down in different patterns depending on binds and all to get it all merchandised better and more safely.

Last edited:
The Beam is working, I ditched the tape but typing onehanded, so this will probably be brilliant.
I love to buck, the challenges presented by trees layin' on the ground, are sometimes more complex than putting the tree on the ground. I spent some time bucking big conifers, most you needed to drag your sorry ass on top the bastards, dragging some great wad of steel and alloy with you, just to get started. You find yourself standing on what used to be a great verticle column, I mean, I knew it was a big tree, I sawed on it, but when I stood on the trunk, preparing to lop it into chunks, it seemed huge. Measure off the first cut, drop a plumb or tape over the side, your partner would line up the cut, then you would hang the great wad of steel and alloy as far over the edge you could and set the spikes like Ahab woulda.

I'm havin' another shot

Even though buckin' big stuff out here can be a chore... I definately will take it over buckin' big crowned trees anyday. The terrain out here is the killer. It's what adds to the complexity of buckin' big wood. You gotta be able to read the land, and how the wood is layin' on it.

I too will put a boot up on a log to feel for movement. I wish I had a 3rd eye sometimes... One to watch the kerf, one to watch for compression or contraction and roll, and another to watch the end of the log.

Sometimes (like Burvy said) feeling through the bar ain't enough. All of your senses come in to play on steep ground and big wood. I too misread a log when I was young... got sent for a ride about 15 feet and landed sqare on my back into a Doug Fir stump. I have had the wind knocked out of me before... but not like that. I got sent home early that day... was out for a week with bruised ribs and a messed up shoulder.

Sawbuck had a dunce cap for me at work the next week... :laugh:

Don't use dynamite...

Gary

Gary--- Wish I did.With all this flooding weave bean pulling stuff out of the river and got a big beast of a log I had to cut up so skid steer could drag it to the pile.I got about 11in.into the cut and it just exploded tossed me back about 10ft.I just don't no what happened what I did wrong or how to avoid something like that aegean.Any help could be good wear planing to pull more out in a week and I'm kinda nervous about it still

Is there a way besides experience to learn to read the log? Is it all just all feel and something you have to feel to know, or are there other methods to recognize pinch points and stored energy aimed at you?

Is there a way besides experience to learn to read the log? Is it all just all feel and something you have to feel to know, or are there other methods to recognize pinch points and stored energy aimed at you?

practice practice practice

You can always power buck! LOL just gotta sacrifice a little wood :)

26753_368592729843_355234984843_3534444_6112071_n.jpg

Jack has some cool bucking videos.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCWRU8k0nYI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCWRU8k0nYI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Oh man I miss those days Cody! Nice vid... sharp ass chain made that cut like a knife through buddah... the log moved as soon as the chain touched the wood...

That shows how much force was on that log.

Gary

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back