The old body is taking a beating!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandriverrat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
But at least I still have all of my fingers and toes.:msp_biggrin: How about all you wood nuts out there. I don't know about you but by this time of the year the winters work is taking it's toll. Lots of cutting ,tossing,hauling, splitting ,stacking, cussing and drinking will wear you plumb out. My wood vocabulary starts to get pretty nasty this time of year too. The other night me and my friend buddy weiser were out takings splits off a tall pile to stack and before you know it son of a b+++++ch smashed finger. That felt good! A little later f===k another smashed finger and then a log to the toe sh+++T! My friend buddy was not helping at all. I will say that when I was feeding the insert before I installed the OWB I used to burn the sides of my arms all the time. Some of you know that feeling I am sure. Pain is good right? Oh well I (wood )not trade my wood adventures for anything. I am going to continue to go like hell because before I know it I will be 100 and have to slow down.How about the rest of you wood crazies? Do you like the pain?:D

I'm much more sedentary during the winder months, and now that I'm getting out and doing more work it's tough getting back in shape. Of course, it will now rain so much here that it will be tough to do anything for a while.

Mostly heating season involves a few smashed fingers, a splinter now and then, and having all the hair burned off my knuckles. Beats the heck out of the pain of writing a check to the oil man!

But at least I still have all of my fingers and toes.:msp_biggrin: How about all you wood nuts out there. I don't know about you but by this time of the year the winters work is taking it's toll. Lots of cutting ,tossing,hauling, splitting ,stacking, cussing and drinking will wear you plumb out. My wood vocabulary starts to get pretty nasty this time of year too. The other night me and my friend buddy weiser were out takings splits off a tall pile to stack and before you know it son of a b+++++ch smashed finger. That felt good! A little later f===k another smashed finger and then a log to the toe sh+++T! My friend buddy was not helping at all. I will say that when I was feeding the insert before I installed the OWB I used to burn the sides of my arms all the time. Some of you know that feeling I am sure. Pain is good right? Oh well I (wood )not trade my wood adventures for anything. I am going to continue to go like hell because before I know it I will be 100 and have to slow down.How about the rest of you wood crazies? Do you like the pain?:D

love the pain,hands are so calloused i dont even feel the bottle cap diggin in when i twist it off. dads 82 and stihl sawin and he said he wont quit till next year.but then he's been sayin that for the last 10 years. yeah love the pain.FS
ps. dad stihl has all his fingers & toes but is missing part of his brain due to a dead hickory limb. he is the ultimate "wood crazy"

Last edited:
I try to stay busy in some fashion in the winter months. Of course this year there was no snow to ride but oh well. I did suffer a few minor burns from welding on my splitter.
My body ain't what it used to be, that's for sure! Two herniated discs, five knee operations on my left knee, right elbow broken twice, I'm thankful to be walking and talking on a daily basis. The weather can affect the old bones too, I hate this rain and damp crap we are having today.

I'm bored out of my friggin' mind stuck inside. Too damp to work in the garage.

Wood heat warrior sh++t I forgot about the splinters, Damn black locust! Steve. May the good Lord bless you and your father! My dad never had a reason to do the wood thing but did love to deer hunt so I got my quality time with him there while he was here doing that. Tell your Dad you love him every chance you get! My son was interduced to the wood thing by me and NOT because he wanted to.:smile2: Now because his future inlaws are heating with wood and because I believe he was introduced to it early he likes it! Loves to deer hunt too by the way. Love the great outdoors!:rock:

I kicked off my splitting season this week, have plenty of rounds cut, some are pretty big. Starting off fresh everything is good. Near the end lifting those big rounds onto the splitter gets a bit tiresome. Maybe a lift is needed but I won't trade the work for anything different.

I am working on a shoulder injury that just will not get better. I usually can rest for a while and feel better, but that is just not working. I know what is wrong, at least I think I do, and I won't be getting an MRI to confirm it. I work on a rehabilitation floor in a hospital, so I can talk to some great orthopedic surgeons for free if they have time. And I have a physical therapy plan worked out. I have seen some amazing results from PT, so I am a believer.

The cuts, smashed digits, and burns are so ordinary they do not even bear mentioning.

Dan

Tell me about it !

I went to a frigen First Aid course for two days. They had us up and down on and off the floor and I striand my sacariliac, man is it sore. Took me two weeks to start to feel better. Sore knees, elbow etc.

Gettin old is not fun.

Dog_River

Mountain,

I get it. Sometimes time heals ALL wounds. I really wish you well!:smile2:Dog. I agree it happens so oftenI think it is funny when it is not hurting.:smile2:

Im actually doing better now than early and mid winter. Both my back and my elbow were out more or less almost constantly then, It was hard for me to do much, but now both are better and I just feel better, more energy. Getting more done and the longer evenings are helping a lot.

Ya know your worken when your calluses are big enough to hurt. Got to file them down.

Ya know your worken when your calluses are big enough to hurt. Got to file them down.

My biggest problem is the callouses on my butt from sitting around all winter. Mostly didn't feel the need to dig my way out to the woods to wade through the snow when I'm plenty ahead. Back when I was almost living tree to stove, it was a point of honor to make it out to the woods every weekend. 2 years worth of wood split and stacked finally (took 4 years on here to get there!) means I don't need to burn $50 in diesel just digging a trail to the woods, and I can cut, split, and stack when I want to.

Trouble is, I'm really starting to want to, but the snow's still knee deep or better out there. Spring fever...

Declining enthusiasm and a deteriorating knee meant no ice hockey for the first time in 40 years. Halfway through the winter I'm feeling like I'm really needing some excercise. That motivated me to get out and cut/split whenever I could, despite being 2 or 3 years ahead on firewood. Deliberately picked some stuff that had to be dragged/carried to the truck when at the woodlot. Last Sunday I started working on a pile of blocks at the top of my driveway and didn't fire up the quad or the splitter. Split it with a maul and moved it all by wheelbarrow to fill one of those face cord racks by my woodshed.

I did get a slightly smashed finger and also a scraped shin from a split that made an unexpected change of course. Minor bumps and bruises are just part of the process. Fortunately, I've never gotten banged up any worse than that. :clap:

Declining enthusiasm and a deteriorating knee meant no ice hockey for the first time in 40 years. Halfway through the winter I'm feeling like I'm really needing some excercise. That motivated me to get out and cut/split whenever I could, despite being 2 or 3 years ahead on firewood. Deliberately picked some stuff that had to be dragged/carried to the truck when at the woodlot. Last Sunday I started working on a pile of blocks at the top of my driveway and didn't fire up the quad or the splitter. Split it with a maul and moved it all by wheelbarrow to fill one of those face cord racks by my woodshed.

I did get a slightly smashed finger and also a scraped shin from a split that made an unexpected change of course. Minor bumps and bruises are just part of the process. Fortunately, I've never gotten banged up any worse than that. :clap:
Your right if all you get out of doing something this potentially dangerous is a couple of smashed fingers and toes once in a while you are fortunate. When it actually comes to cutting I try my best to approach it with safety in mind and keep myself and others that may be with me safe as well.

Very open winter here but due to my attacks of "wuss hood" I don't work when it is cold and breeze. Jusst now getting what little is left of "condition" backs. Cut/hauled my first load of wood last Friday, finally out today to start splitting it, disappeared about 1/2 the load splitting manually.

As for injured extremities, my shins think there is something wrong if i don't hae at least one new scab starting and several old ones coming off. I swear I was born with "wood magnets" in both shins. 78 next week and if it weren't for the "wooding" I'd be a 400lb couch potato or dead.

Harry K

I two week post shoulder surgery, 1.5" tear in one of the ligaments, arthritis, scare tissue, bone spur irritating rotater cuff, and he shaved some off the end of the bone to try and make more room in there:msp_scared: been pretty much laid up till this week were i was able to go back to work on "light duty" (M-F 8-5) and that shi& suc@s:msp_angry: was told Im still looking at another 6-8 weeks before I mite be able to go back on line:msp_wink:, wife and kids are still not used to me being home every night (keeping her sancho away:rolleyes2:) told her its just a prelude to when I retire in 5 yrs.....hope all are feeling better than me

I hear ya Harry! 78? Where the hell do you live? Send some of that good stuff this direction.:laugh:

I come from a fairly tough, long-lived tribe. But I and two brothers seem to hae inherited the good stuff. There were 11 of us and 9 are still with us but most are fighting some serious health issues. I am apparently goint to be like the 'old one horse shay' and jsut fall apart suddenly, the only real health issues I have had are two hip replacements.

Harry K

my back always seems to hurt ever since the mishap in high school auto shop surgery was awful then laying on my stomach for 2 weeks but im glad i can still walk even though i can't feel much in my feet or legs, pinched nerves,screws,plates in my back.

it sucks but i would trade it in a heartbeat for some simple hand pain and a headache because the pain is very severe at times.
i hope i make it as far as you gentleman did, don't know if i can make it past 35.

Back