The Perfect Stack of Wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I cut and split some more nice red oak poles this evening. Went to the yard about 6:15 pm and got a half cord cut split and stacked before dark. I think it is my best job stacking to date. Then again it was pretty dark when I finished so maybe it will fall over by morning:mad: I will take a pic in the daylight in the morning for your judgement.

Are you the one that had the beautiful looking stack of wood on here the other day? Wanting to sell by the stick ? If so, I dont know how you could make it any neater , but I respect your good work.

Here it is
101_2654.jpg

101_2657.jpg

That is a pretty good start, and I like (and agree with) your use of square/rectangular pieces on the criss cross ends. However, I would have used some flat half-rounds from the edges of big logs to "tie" the criss-crosses into the main pile about every 4-5 levels. You did good, but I can see room for improvement. :poke: :) :)

That is a pretty good start, and I like (and agree with) your use of square/rectangular pieces on the criss cross ends. However, I would have used some flat half-rounds from the edges of big logs to "tie" the criss-crosses into the main pile about every 4-5 levels. You did good, but I can see room for improvement. :poke: :) :)

Curly,
Can you elaborate, I super vacuum style suck at stacking and am looking for any and all pointers...ps I follow your posts on the Cummins forums too !

A

And here I thought the perfect stack of wood was the one thst I didn't have to do! I am the son of a bricklayers daughter and thankfully it has carried over in my wood stacking. The mortar is a pain to chip off before sticking the wood in the stove though.:laugh:

Nice job on the stacking! I repped you for neatness. Teacher always says neatness counts!:clap:

(Sniff) Man, I feel like a slob now. Anything that doesn't tip over is a perfect stack here.

I hate making criss cross ends, fence posts are my weapon of choice instead.

Seriously neat, rep sent!

Reminds me of my grandpa's woodpiles. He cut with a bucksaw. All measured out to 16" and piled about 10 feet high. You could have sighted along the pile and never seen an end. I still try to do it like he did, but I am not worthy.

Thanks for the compliments, alot of it is just because it's mostly nice straight red oak, I measure for length, and Im just weird about nice looking wood piles. I stack 3 wide rows up until the first of febuary, then the stuff I cut and split in March gets stacked just two wide to get it more air to it. Anything thats cut in april gets stacked one row wide. After that it's back to three wide getting ready for the following year. I posted this pic here before (three wide full cords) this was stacked this past november.
2010firewood.jpg

Latest posts

Back