The right saw for the right person..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jibber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
When I moved to the woods back in '94 I had an old Sears Chainsaw.. 18" bar.. quickly found out it was underpowered. Since then I've been accumulating bigger and bigger saws and taking apart bigger and bigger trees to heat my home. A few years ago a neighbor borrowed my 039 Stihl and used regular gas in it. After a rebuild.. I decided to invest in another "budget" saw.. a throw around that I could use for limbing and stuff AND LENDING TO NEIGHBORS. I purchased a Husky 142. I use it sparingly. A neighbor borrowed it recently and was impressed. I told him I rarely used it and he asked about buying it off me. What the heck.. I went to Amazon to find a current price only to discover they no longer sell the 142. But, they still had a listing for it (with the "unavailable" flag).. and I was amused by one of the three reviews that someone left for what I considered an underpowered saw.. even with a 16" chain. I've attached the review below. Hey, maybe I should keep this 2.2HP machine for those 3 foot trees!

----

2 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
Excellent perfromance and light weight compared to Stihl, July 20, 2007
By Joern F (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews

I bought this saw at Lowes and have been cutting lots of big and small trees with it. My neighbour has a 16" Stihl, so we compared when we cut wood together. The saw is extremely light weight, which is very useful when cutting down thin invasive trees close to the ground. I used it in the winter time, too, and it starts without problems. I have 3feet thick trees to cut so I bought a 28 inch after market blade and chain at baileys-online and it works!! The only thing is one has to be careful with overheating but usually my back aches before the saw gets too hot.

That would be one funny looking saw. For kicks me and a buddy put a 20" bar on a little lowes husky. I thought that looked hilarious, but a 28" that would be downright ignorant. But with them big ole 3 foot trees you gotta do what you gotta do!!

Latest posts

Back