The Science and Fine Art of Tree Spiking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good examle of when free political speech goes too far. The wood cutter who cuts these things could DIE from kickback. Dude that worked at the local Stihl dealer told me about a friend of his, was cutting up a tree here in the area...the chainsaw hit a nail and kicked back on him, severing his wrist....the guy died. This could easily happen with spiking... maybe it has? My opinion...you can say whatever thing you want to in political speech... however irritating, wrong or offensive....but when you take action that has the intent of harming the person or property of another that is when you should be stopped

I think that is one of Fishes fat chicks!

I hit some steel yesterday in a 24 in. hard maple out on the farm we were cutting at, spent an hour this morning bringing that chain back.

However, more power to them as they are attempting to save some things for future generations before we cut it all down in the name of greed and they really believe in what they are doing. It is always good when some act as a concience as it equalizes things.

Reminds me of the tree i cut last winter, nice 20' pine, cut it bucked it, went to the landing, when i got to the landing they had it set out, some deer hunter had spiked a later about ten foot up the tree, it was kinda viney so i didnt see them, got lucky didnt hit them

Man this kind of tree-huggin', bark-eatin', sandal-wearin', eco-terrorist-freak attitude crap just pisses me off!!! :blob2:

There is a lot of that kind of crap up here in the Pacific Northwest. I have logger friends that have been hurt (maimed) due to this type of terrorism. It never ceases to amaze me that some people will support a cause so far fetched. Even if it means hurting or killing another human to save a tree (or animal for that matter). No tree is worth a human life!

Gary

This is just plain stupid and assinine. When are people going to wake up to the fact there is two sides of the coin. Yes, we do need our trees, but this is one natural resource that can be renewed and replenished. As long as we build houses out of wood, wipe our rear ends with toliet paper, read newspapers, and whatever else requires a tree or parts of a tree, there will be a demand to cut on trees.

WHAT THE HELL IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS CONCEPT!!!!

It just escapes basic logical thinking that one side of the enviromental battle can't seem to grasp.

Larry

Last edited:
HardAssTP.jpg

I hate that crap! You know that they live in houses made of wood, they just don't want anyone else to!

My sawyer hit some iron in some stuff I had him saw for me.It came from the edge of a 40 acre woods,and was about 13 ft up in the log,the remains of a deer stand some yahoo had nailed up about 20 years previously.That little trick cost me the price of a bandsaw blade.

see what kinda looks you get wearing this around town these days. found it on ebay...

Depending on your circumstances it might be a good idea to look at a metal detector. One of my favorite episodes of PBS's New Yankee Workshop showed Norm (This Old House) using a Garret one hand metal detector to check boards that were salvaged from timbers old buildings. He was using a Garret metal detector similar to what they use in airports to run up and down a person's body. These might not have enough pentrating power for say a larger tree so you might have to use a larger two hand model (the type people use on beaches). I use a Garret GTA 1000 that I bought new I think in the mid to late 1980s.

One of coolest episodes of New Yankee Workshop (if I recall the show correctly) was an espisode where they showed a company a guy started to recover old growth trees from the bottom of lakes. The trees were floated down rivers in years for transportation and many of them ended up on the bottom of the lake where the conditions of bottom of lake help preserve them - take of the outer core and you have solid old growth wood. Can't remember what region of the U.S. it was (West or Great Lakes), but it was certainly cool seeing these guys with a barge and crain outfit pulling up logs from th bottom of a lake.

That episode about the sunken timber was lake superior.That gent has several websites,"Timeless Timber" and "Superior lumber".Some of that old growth has 17 or more growth rings to the inch.
They also discovered an assortment of fiddle back and Birdseye maple.They sold one log for over $40,000.It is now believed that Stradivarius used water soaked wood to enhance the sounds of his masterpiece violins.
They are interesting websites to visit.The lumber prices,considering what they are,aren't really that high.They of course would be used for very special projects.

Diesel JD said:
.the chainsaw hit a nail and kicked back on him, severing his wrist....the guy died. This could easily happen with spiking... maybe it has?

It has happened, and some tree huggers have celebrated and DO openly encourage spiking specifically in order to injure or kill loggers.

Latest posts

Back