The Stihl MS661 C-M recall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
OK, so this topic has been floated on several other threads, and on may different global forums. I thought I would add a separate thread just on the 661 C-M recall on the AS forum. If you have any information on this, please feel free to post it here. Stihl has been pretty tight lipped about what the problems are with the production models of the 661. Apparently the problems did not occur in the field and beta testing of the test saws, or the problems were not found in those saws until there were problems found in the production run saws.

What I read in the Google translated German arbor forums is that all the 661C-M saws in Germany were recalled, and loaner 660s were given out to anyone that had bought a 661. In the UK, from reading their forums, there was no complete recall, and it is up to buyers if they want to return the saws or not. Here in the US it seems to be a voluntary recall if you want to return or keep them, but not many 661 C-M saws were actually sold in the US (or in the UK or Germany, for that matter). Most distributors had not gotten or shipped these saws in the US. Most unsold, recalled and returned saws have supposedly been collected and shipped back to Germany. Some are said to still be on shelves for sale in the US and the UK, and some are certainly still in the hands of the people that bought them in the US and UK. It is not well known if all saws are affected, or just some saws in the original production run.

As for what the actual problems are with the new 661 saws: several reports from Germany and the UK are that some saws just stopped running completely after running OK for a while, or they started running poorly all of a sudden, or they ran poorly from the start. One supposition is that there are problems with the ignition modules. Another more likely supposition is that there are problems with the cylinders in the production run. I have talked to several Stihl dealers here in this area about them. Most sales guys at the local shops do not know any more than we do here about these saws. Some are not even aware that the 661 had come out at all, or that there was any problem with them. The most informed dealer told me, "...you do not want any of the current 661s out there, and you want to wait until the problems are resolved in the re-released saws before you buy one". He and other dealers have told me that the 660 is again in production, and they have 660s for sale there on the shelves. I asked when the 661 would be available, and I got several answers. It seems that they will not be available in these parts until at least mid-year. According to the German forums, they have been told that it will likely be Q2 of this year before they re-release 661 there.

Its probbly just hearsay but i read it on another forum and it mentioned something about weak cranks ,and that the revised cranks will be beefier to correct whatever the weakness is.............dunno

It sucks never the less. I wanted one but the want went away. At least I did get to handle and run one.

Better now than later.
Fess up when there is trouble.
Like the Ford 6.zero. They could have fixed it.

I probably would have been upset if I had to give up my new saw so I guess this is good. Oh well maybe I can get one in a box needing a piston here in a year or so.

I talked with a guy at the IH dealer about the 6.0. He said they tried to pack it into a space it wasn't designed to fit. He said the warranty rate on them in the mid size IH trucks was 10% or so instead of the 30-40% it was on the F series.

I love my 6.0 psd . Head studs and toss that egr cooler in the trash and a couple updated oil stand pipes and it's a rock solid towing machine. IH had less issues because if they acme in for any egr or coolant issue they got reman heads and updated egr cooler and all the goodies in one shot. Ford just patched them back together and hoped they made it out of warenty

This is why I reconsidered a cm 362
I think they just haven't got it ironed out yet electronically . It is my understanding these technology's are derived from husqvarna initially and stihl hasn't got the kinks as refined

I love my 6.0 psd . Head studs and toss that egr cooler in the trash and a couple updated oil stand pipes and it's a rock solid towing machine. IH had less issues because if they acme in for any egr or coolant issue they got reman heads and updated egr cooler and all the goodies in one shot. Ford just patched them back together and hoped they made it out of warenty
They could be good.
In the same time Dodge and GM had a total of 8 recalls. The 6.0 had 77.
They pushed the design load too high.
And when you have do a load of repairs on a new motor. I don't feel good about it.

Recalls and updated parts isn't quite the same thing, but yes the ford 6.0 psd is laden with a lot of very common issues. It's not if the egr cooler will go its more of when. And please god let is start one more time is said way to often when you have a high pressure oil leak ,....Cummins lots of power and good for many miles but also not without it's issues.4000 $ when the injectors fail in the post injector pump motors. And you have to deal with the worst tarnnies ever along with that joke of a soda can of a truck they bolt around the motor, the AM axles are crap blowing cariers and front wheel bearings every 50k And no lockout hubs , Then we have the chevy durimax .... Fantastic riding truck, no real front axle . Absolutely no power , Alison trans is fantastic. Brakes mediocre for a 1 ton truck and a sub par frame . We need a cummins motor , Alison trans , ford rears and frame and brakes , and a Chevy body and interior and then wow we got a great truck ,that should only cost 100 k lol. They are all crap for the 50 -70 k we spend on them . Kind of like chainsaws . Pick your own flavor they are all good or bad in their own ways none better than the others as far as being without issues . They are all machines , if you expect them to be perfect you will eventually be diapointed

Recalls and updated parts isn't quite the same thing, but yes the ford 6.0 psd is laden with a lot of very common issues. It's not if the egr cooler will go its more of when. And please god let is start one more time is said way to often when you have a high pressure oil leak ,....Cummins lots of power and good for many miles but also not without it's issues.4000 $ when the injectors fail in the post injector pump motors. And you have to deal with the worst tarnnies ever along with that joke of a soda can of a truck they bolt around the motor, the AM axles are crap blowing cariers and front wheel bearings every 50k And no lockout hubs , Then we have the chevy durimax .... Fantastic riding truck, no real front axle . Absolutely no power , Alison trans is fantastic. Brakes mediocre for a 1 ton truck and a sub par frame . We need a cummins motor , Alison trans , ford rears and frame and brakes , and a Chevy body and interior and then wow we got a great truck ,that should only cost 100 k lol. They are all crap for the 50 -70 k we spend on them . Kind of like chainsaws . Pick your own flavor they are all good or bad in their own ways none better than the others as far as being without issues . They are all machines , if you expect them to be perfect you will eventually be diapointed

What about the new 6.7......that everyone loves

6.7 ford made in Mexico is still fracturing valves in the medium duty trucks, and in 1 tons having trans issues and a few drivability issues, cummins 6.7 emissions related issues egr and particulate filter issue. Need to change the ECM program not sure if you can still get a programmer that will let you delete the egr and put a regular exhaust on. Like I said nothing is without issues, but for the most part the majority of the problems on modern diesels is emissions related , so more or less post 2003 . It's hard to make something run clean using filthy fuel to start with . And now we have to use ultra low sulfer fuel . That is another issue the process to remove e sulfer actually removes the lubricating factor in the fuel witch hammers the injectors

I have a few freinds that work at a truck repair shop, mostly medium duty trucks and they are inundated on the amount of drivability issues on the new trucks . It used to be if they started you where good to go now with emissions check engine light you get no power and crappy fuel economy , larger trucks are just getting the emissions the 1tons and regular trucks had 10 years ago, .. Emissions is also why you not going to see cat motors in large trucks anymore. Cat makes a killing with machinery and does not want there rep tarnished by issues with over the road trucks

We are solidly derailed now. Lol
I gave the 6.0 low grades as an engine that had problems.
The point wasn't to bash it.
But to say Stihl is trying to prevent warrenty problems.
Which I feel ford didn't.
They let it go too long. Stihl isn't.

We are solidly derailed now. Lol
I gave the 6.0 low grades as an engine that had problems.
The point wasn't to bash it.
But to say Stihl is trying to prevent warrenty problems.
Which I feel ford didn't.
They let it go too long. Stihl isn't.

You are very correct . It is nice to see Stihl step up and recall the 661 , for a smaller company reputation is everything so I'm thinking whatever issue the 661 has must be pretty awful. It would be hard to get past one of there mainstay saws blowing up all over the place

You are very correct . It is nice to see Stihl step up and recall the 661 , for a smaller company reputation is everything so I'm thinking whatever issue the 661 has must be pretty awful. It would be hard to get past one of there mainstay saws blowing up all over the place
And it wouldnt be repair either. Ford did repair. Good for them.
For Stihl it would be replace.

Ford chevy and dodge where never much for standing behind there products .. I know still gave a pile of new 441 s to customers after the crank smoked on them , my local dealer still has a few laying in his shop they never called back

I just wish they'd nailed it the first time. Cuz I'd be saving my pennies

Latest posts

Back