the Stihl QCA Explained

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLD_IRON

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Stihl Quick Chain Adjuster Explained

I started this thread as a guide to people interested in the C-B variants of Stihl chain saws, and I'd like to keep it constructive.

I noticed when searching "QCA" most threads had general descriptions but were very light on detailed user input. Most descriptions either stated how it added too much weight, (.3 lbs) was unnecessary, or worked quite well. So...

My experiences are with 2 MS 361C-B's and a MS 180C.

The often controversial Quick Chain Adjuster (QCA) is a tooless chain adjusterthat works via 2 gears - 1 large gear mounted on the bar and a smaller gear in the clutch cover - which when turned move the bar back and forth - thus tensioning the chain.

The QCA uses only 1 bar stud - to which the clutch cover is tightened via a large wingnut that can be torqued down by hand.

"On Paper" Advantages

Chains can quickly be adjusted using the QCA. Great for people who either don't carry the tool or forget it because they only need to use the saw for a few minutes. I personally find it handy so that I don't have to carry a tool with me in areas with a lot of tripping hazards or when I'm in trees.

In the Field

Generally the QCA works as advertised. It's nice to use and easy to operate under most conditions. The fact thatyou don't always have to carry the scwrench around all the time is nice - especially if you're only gonna use the saw for a short period of time. However, I usually carry the tool around in my chaps since I use other saws and equipment.

I have had the wingnut lock up on me, and I had to wait for the saw to cool off for a minute before attempting to re-tension (I've had bar nuts do the same thing). You have to be careful when you torque the clutch cover down - you can over-torque it - so be careful. You MUST keep the gears clean (and sharp chain is a MUST) or else the QCA will not function. You must also pay attention when cutting dirty wood that throws a lot of powder - it will make tensioning a lot harder. A toothbrush works well for cleaning the gears.

I have only had the chain come off a QCA once so far with no resulting injury or damage. Saw was cold and I didn't check the tension beforehand.

I usually disassemble the bar and QCA each time I use the saw to clean all the components off and clean the bar. The QCA gears do take a couple minutes longer to thoroughly clean than a front tensioner set up for example.

Options

As for the MS 361 (I cannot speak for other C-B variants on this - but it would be interesting to find out) The MS 361C-B cannot be converted to a 2 bar stud and side tensioner setup without splitting the case and replacing the clutch side of the case. The C-B and stock 361 clutch side case halves are different because they do not share the same drill pattern in regards to how the bar stud holes are drilled. The MS 180C can be converted however.

Also, deep clutch covers, dual bumper spikes, and large chain catcher cannot be fitted to the 361C-B. The clutch covers are completely different in their shape and the wing nut is in the way of the mounts. The factory 3/4 wrap handle will fit on the 361C-B without any problems.

Overall

The QCA is a neat little gadget that is handy most of the time, but can be a pain every now and then. It's nice and quick for tensioning the chain but it limits the number of add-ons you can put on the saw.

As far as recommending it - I am not going to recommend it or condemn it - It's totally up to the buyer and how they use the saw and care for it. I personally think its neat for beginners because it teaches them maintenance - because if its not clean it doesn't work - and it's easy enough to teach proper chain tension. However for professional use where good maintenance practice is vital - then it's probably more of a nuisance and a "gimmick."

Last edited:
You MUST keep the gears clean (and chain sharp is a MUST) or else the QCA will not function. You must also pay attention when cutting dirty wood that throws a lot of powder - it will make tensioning a lot harder. A toothbrush works well for cleaning the gears.

I have only had the chain come off a QCA once so far with no resulting injury or damage.

not what im looking for if im tryin' git' er' done making money or wanting a fun day cutting.!

[The QCA is a neat little gadget but can be a pain every now and then. It's nice and quick for tensioning the chain but it limits the number of add-ons you can put on the saw.

As far as recommending it - I am not going to recommend it or condemn it - It's totally up to the buyer and how they use the saw and care for it. I personally think its neat for beginners because it teaches them maintenance -
because if its not clean it doesn't work - and it's easy enough to teach proper chain tension. However for professional use where good maintenance practice is vital - then it's probably more of a nuisance and a "gimmick."

i agree with your assesment for the mostpart.

:laugh:

/wipes tears from eyes

Nice review!!:clap: :clap:

Yes, fits well with my observations on some 250Cs - not a feature I would want or recommend!

:pumpkin2:

Never tried the Husky version of it (they sort of had to), but just the look of it turnes me off.....

Last edited:
Yes, fits well with my observations on some 250Cs - not a feature I would want or recommend!

:pumpkin2:

Me either.just kidding Troll. You know me better than that. It is a great feature for what it is intended to do. If it wasn't so popular then other manufacturers wouldn't copy it.

have it on a 280, because it was the only one available at the time.

I agree. It's ok, concern about breaking or overtorquing, but it's not something I would choose again for ground saw. For tree saw, would be great.

Good write up, Cold_Iron. You put some thought into what you wrote and it really made sense.

My write up is shorter. For me, the QCA is a bad attempt to solve a problem that does not exist. I would not give it a thought if you could buy a 180 without it, but since you can't, I always take advantage of an opportunity to say how much I really don't like it. :)

Back