The stockpiles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Too hot to split today so I took pictures. Just like an indoor stove dry wood means much less burned in the OWB.
Almost everything we burn is 2-3 years old.

2013-2014 fuel is at home and stacked in the woodshed.
View attachment 312229

2014-2015 wood which is to the left side was split and stacked at the farm last year about a third of this wont be used until 2015
View attachment 312230

Been working on 2015-2016 wood about 5 cords to go and done.
View attachment 312231

Last edited:
Too hot to split today so I took pictures. Just like an indoor stove dry wood means much less burned in the OWB.
Almost everything we burn is 2-3 years old.

2012-2013 fuel is at home and stacked in the woodshed.
View attachment 312229

2013-2014 wood which is to the left side was split and stacked at the farm last year about a third of this wont be used until 2015
View attachment 312230

Been working on 2014-2015 wood about 5 cords to go and done.
View attachment 312231

It's nice to have some breathing rm. Good wood there, congrates. I have split and stacked covered to winter of 2020-2021 with 2022 waiting to be split this winter.

Wow!! Great supply you've got there. Lots of labor involved and a lot of sweat equity.

What's on the other side of the razor wire topped chain linked fence?

I'm guessing that the 2012-2013 stack is going to last a long time.

Mr. HE:cool:

Hey, you stole my wood splitter! Just got mine 2 weeks ago and can't believe how well it works for such a small machine. Nice piles, I've never split that far forward, I'll have to give it a try, Joe.

Impressed

Now that's impressive. Let's compare woodpiles, shall we?
You are several years ahead, I, well I am actually a few months behind.
Unless you count all the trees still standing out back in our woodlot.
Hoping to have time to cut firewood in September.
You have a nice looking splitter there too.
Mine got a new handle last year, the old one gave up after 33 years!

Just noticed all the my years were one behind, now corrected good grief! Official excuse is I was tired when I posted

Fence is the Gas Company's material storage yard. Funny thing is when they put that fence up they insisted on a new survey and guess what? It showed the old fence was 30' on me, haha! Then all of the sudden they said Oh, we will just put the new fence where the old one was,,, ya right. My wood shed is sitting on what they thought was theirs. That shed was built from used grain bin panels (free)

Bad thing about having a stockpile of seasoned wood is all the teary eyed requests for "emergency" firewood. Campfire wood etc. We have discovered a good fix though. We have a special pile saved for those people,,,, of wet sycamore. We have no repeat firewood bums:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
I am a few years ahead ;)

bunches_zps3d863528.jpg

Right hand stack 25'x32'x6'
Near stck 12'x18'x6'

morebunches_zps14c5d2af.jpg

Left hand stack 23'x15'x6' Does not count theunsplit rounds holding up (or did) the ends of the ricks.

Right hand stack all unsplit rounds 24'x15'x6'. That stuff will bulk up a lot bigger after splitting for Locust does not split into nice regular chunks to make tight ricks.

The height is conservative on all the stacks as I pile as high as I can reach without straining. Probably averages 6.25-6.75'

All Black locust except for a few cords of shoulder season (Willow and Box Elder). Black locust just does not rot. I burned the last of my locust I cut in '93 two years ago - as solid as the day I cut it.

Coming seasons 6 cord is all in the wood shed and back porch already except for about 1/2 cord shoulder season to still add to the porch.

Harry K

Man some of you guys really got ahead. Don't you ever worry about the stuff on the bottom rotting before you burn it?

Not that I wouldn't mind being that far ahead.

Had all of this years wood split and stacked last fall so it's plenty dry and just recently finished up wood for next year so technically I'm only 1 year ahead. Truthfully we don't have enough room to get more than a year or two at most ahead (in the amount the OWB uses)

I was about 3 years ahead when we just used the wood stove, but switching to the OWB really changed that

View attachment 312696 Three piles plan on filling a 24 by 24 pole building up to the peak . The trap pile been burning out of it 4 years the higher part is what I put back the size of this 24 by 40 . The building with the 2 wings the center is full to this 14 by 30. Running out of room

Latest posts

Back