The Story of a 60" Basswood Removal(pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very impressed by the homemade grapple! Nice job guys! I love the OSHA approved counter weight add on!:clap:

Thanks Guns, I use that grapple bucket more than any of my 12 other attachments. I built 9 of them myself, from snow pusher to tree shear.

I also have a log grapple I made, but it won't pick up the rakings or backdrag so the grapple bucket gets most of the work. For logging though, it can't be beat.

You gotta do what you gotta do with the portable counterweights. They pay the bills.

Last edited:
Nice work as usual. I love when I get to bring the old bobcat to work it always gets used in more areas of the job then originally anticipated.

Nice work as usual. I love when I get to bring the old bobcat to work it always gets used in more areas of the job then originally anticipated.

Appreciate it Custom. Bobcats are the most useful tool on earth in my opinion. Buy or build attachments when needed and you can do anything.

Appreciate it Custom. Bobcats are the most useful tool on earth in my opinion. Buy or build attachments when needed and you can do anything.

Yup, I only have 3 attachments right now, bucket, grapple, and bachoe. I am thinking about building a new grapple here in the near future specifically designed for logs. How's your shear working out for you? I added a 500lb weight to the back of the belly pan on mine for some extra stability while lifting over head. It works well when you have an attachment on but makes it want to wheelie every where when changing attachments.

Yup, I only have 3 attachments right now, bucket, grapple, and bachoe. I am thinking about building a new grapple here in the near future specifically designed for logs. How's your shear working out for you? I added a 500lb weight to the back of the belly pan on mine for some extra stability while lifting over head. It works well when you have an attachment on but makes it want to wheelie every where when changing attachments.

The shear is working great! Don't use it that much though. I am going to add a grapple to it shortly hear so I can use it on a land clearing job I have. Most trees are up to 10" Popple, so it will be sweet.

The only good way to add weight to a skidsteer is to add it all around evenly. Tracks are the perfect counterweight, you could also fill your tires with fluid. The grapple I have is perfect for logs, here it is.

DSCN1739.jpg

DSCN1730.jpg

DSCN1053.jpg

DSCN0898.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

Thanks for the pics it gives me a couple ideas for the grapple build. The one I have now is great for big stuff but lacks the capability to clamp down on smaller logs and brush efficiently.

They are great in the snow, it's the ice that'll make you slide. I would run over the tire tracks again in a heartbeat. If I was going to get rubber one's I would probably get the Mclaren brand. You can replace the rubber pads when the wear, or bolt steel pads on. They run loose so less wear and tear on your machine.

Other option is the Loegering VTS system if you have 10-12 grand to get a set. Put your wheels back on when you want to sell and put the VTS on your next skid. Very durable because it's such a clean undercarriage. Nice system.

You could run solid rubber too. I don't like the cost vs longevity vs torque on your axles though.

The thing with a wheel machine is they hold their value better because they don't have all the undercarriage maintenance. Track loaders will lift much more and have more stability, but cost much more too. I am happy with mine.

smart work on the offset tines.

The shear is working great! Don't use it that much though. I am going to add a grapple to it shortly hear so I can use it on a land clearing job I have. Most trees are up to 10" Popple, so it will be sweet.

The only good way to add weight to a skidsteer is to add it all around evenly. Tracks are the perfect counterweight, you could also fill your tires with fluid. The grapple I have is perfect for logs, here it is.

DSCN1739.jpg

DSCN1730.jpg

DSCN1053.jpg

DSCN0898.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

i wish the manufactures would figure that out.

Hornett, there is a grapple manufactured almost just like this. It's the Greggory Grapple and goes by other names as well depending on who's selling it. It was around $3400 last time I checked.

Couple of questions and they might sound stupit:
First, you guys throw up some nice notches but why? Pulling 4 foot sections of trunk off when it looked like the whole thing could have been dropped but maybe I am missing something.
Second, Why you let you brother shimmy out on that limb on his sac. It also looked like he could have tied higher in the next tree and did it like he was driving a Cadillac. Maybe I am missing something else but yeah I checked out that limb he was on... NOT GOOD.
Third, did you build that grapple and the bucket grapple?
Fourth, what is the temperature in your beer fridge right now? Mine is around 28 F. Think I should drop it a degree or two?

Couple of questions and they might sound stupit:
First, you guys throw up some nice notches but why? Pulling 4 foot sections of trunk off when it looked like the whole thing could have been dropped but maybe I am missing something.
Second, Why you let you brother shimmy out on that limb on his sac. It also looked like he could have tied higher in the next tree and did it like he was driving a Cadillac. Maybe I am missing something else but yeah I checked out that limb he was on... NOT GOOD.
Third, did you build that grapple and the bucket grapple?
Fourth, what is the temperature in your beer fridge right now? Mine is around 28 F. Think I should drop it a degree or two?

1) We did that so the mess would stay in one spot. We were right on the edge of their nice lawn and didn't want to damage it any more than necessary. That was the boss's call.

2) He was tied in. If it broke, he would take a ride but thats life in the tree. He had it done buy the time you got your Cadillac started.

3) Yes I built them both.

4) Cold, thats as specific as I get on that. I would say 28 degrees is good.:cheers:

Nails I knew exactly what you were thinking the way tha wood was getting chunked, for what its worth. Also nice to see some old chevys there, is old red 4 wheel? I'm still running my 88 K3500 4 wheel, man I love that truck, we also got a 82 3500 but its only 2 wheel squeel so its sort of lame, but does have a lift gate and dump, its my dads I'm temped to buy it and put a 488 locker in it. Nails if you ever put a motor in those trucks go with the jasper and get the rv cam, makes all the difference in the world on hills like we got, just enough so you dont have to shift so much. You should see "big G" (green) pulling his new buddy, the bandit 250 with quads, he's so proud. Thats my style old chevy, giant modern chipper, I could have a super duty and still be fighting wit the 200+, F that. Nice job man.

Nails I knew exactly what you were thinking the way tha wood was getting chunked, for what its worth. Also nice to see some old chevys there, is old red 4 wheel? I'm still running my 88 K3500 4 wheel, man I love that truck, we also got a 82 3500 but its only 2 wheel squeel so its sort of lame, but does have a lift gate and dump, its my dads I'm temped to buy it and put a 488 locker in it. Nails if you ever put a motor in those trucks go with the jasper and get the rv cam, makes all the difference in the world on hills like we got, just enough so you dont have to shift so much. You should see "big G" (green) pulling his new buddy, the bandit 250 with quads, he's so proud. Thats my style old chevy, giant modern chipper, I could have a super duty and still be fighting wit the 200+, F that. Nice job man.

Red's a 2 wheel and Blue is 4 wheel. Blue is one we borrow from a friend when needed. Red's going to get updated from the straight 6 to a suped up 350 my bro has. He had it all rebuilt with some racing crap in it. We don't have many hills right where I am located, I don't mind the straight 6.

That new chipper sounds nice. Those old trucks pay the bills plus they have class.

At least someone understands chunkin off big timber.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back