The sweet stench of red oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Spent the weekend hauling in 4 to 6 cord of fresh cut red oak rounds. They are in a pile 150 ft from the deck. When out on the deck or anywhere in the yard, all you can smell is oak. I love that smell of free heat. Kind of hope the neighbors are the kind that think it smells like crap, they are new and annoying.

Spent the weekend hauling in 4 to 6 cord of fresh cut red oak rounds. They are in a pile 150 ft from the deck. When out on the deck or anywhere in the yard, all you can smell is oak. I love that smell of free heat. Kind of hope the neighbors are the kind that think it smells like crap, they are new and annoying.

It does smell great, and that is what wet wood smells like :msp_smile:

Yes, a friend and I split mostly oak for 4 hrs Friday and 7 hrs on Saturday. We had split for a couple hours and the smell was delicious. I picked up a nice, wet, aromatic piece and told him to smell it and tell me what it smells like. He smelled it a couple of times and says "alcohol". I said "Bingo, Jack Daniels to be exact". It is obvious where JD gets some of its flavor---from aging in oak barrels. Brought back some memories of our younger years. Neither one of us drink anymore---19+ years for me; but that aroma made me want to take another little sip. Maybe someday for the right occasion.

If the oak smells like burbon

Yes, a friend and I split mostly oak for 4 hrs Friday and 7 hrs on Saturday. We had split for a couple hours and the smell was delicious. I picked up a nice, wet, aromatic piece and told him to smell it and tell me what it smells like. He smelled it a couple of times and says "alcohol". I said "Bingo, Jack Daniels to be exact". It is obvious where JD gets some of its flavor---from aging in oak barrels. Brought back some memories of our younger years. Neither one of us drink anymore---19+ years for me; but that aroma made me want to take another little sip. Maybe someday for the right occasion.

It's white oak! Love that smell!

I kind of like the smell of new cut green red oak, but if it is standing dead when cut or it lays around and gets sour before splitting there is a funky odor.

Rep sent for the neighbor comment. Now get out there and split that oak.

Thanks for the rep. Waiting for the cold, dark, doldrums of winter To split them. Keep me off my fat arse when it's dark at 4 pm. A wobble light, a few glasses of whisky, and the ox head, to bust them up in January. I have plenty of wood, so no hurry in the drying time for me. Of course that means where going to get 20 ft of snow this winter. Your welcome snowmobilers and plow guy's. You owe me.

If the smell doesnt bother them fire up the saws and start cutting at 7am might get under there skin?

Only thing I do that bothers mine is clean the snow out of the driveway when I get home at 3:30 am for the wife that way I can go to bed

Love that Oak stink, smells like money (stayin in muh bank account that is!) The last Oak I cut up was down for a year or two, it had a lil water layin in a crack, and it had that whiskey barrel smell big time. (was that what granny meant by "stump water" on the Bev Hillbillys?) I was a lil worried about hauling that load home cuz I was cutting on city property and right across from where the local po po like to set up their speed trap. I could just envision them pulling me over to check out my overloaded F150, or why I don't have tail lites on my spitter, walkin up all *sniff-sniff* havin you been drinking sir?!

Ah, the sweet sweet smell of cat piss and citronella. I haven't had any red oak in the yard in a few years now...just stinky Black Locust which in it's own right smells like cat piss and a old gym locker.

I've split a lot of red oak that smells just like ketchup (catsup) as soon as it cracks open.

I kind of like the smell of red oak, has a stink that reminds me of my Dad. He cuts so much that he ALWAYS smells like it, even after a shower or good rain storm.

Red oak is nice... splits easy and straight, stacks well. Termites don't seem interested in it.

Yep it smells like money to me. :)

If I only had the choice of one wood.... I've said it before and will say it again, Red Oak. Yes it takes a while to cure but splits great, Don't mind the smell and think it burns just dandy. Split some hickory tonight, smells delicious and burns great but the bugs make a mess of it, Does not split as clean as Red Oak & its dirty in the wood shed. Yes it puts out more BTU's than Red Oak but if I could only have one firewood to burn I'd probably vote for Red Oak. I think my second choice would be White Ash.

I've got fresh split red oak, cherry, birch and white oak all stacked together, dang near look like a crack addict out there walking around sniffing it! Almost intoxicating.

I've got fresh split red oak, cherry, birch and white oak all stacked together, dang near look like a crack addict out there walking around sniffing it! Almost intoxicating.

I got a few cords of red and some black or chestnut oak. I love the red oak smell, it smells like bread rising or yeast. The black im not fond of. Smells like cat pee or something and the grains split up too loose. Real stringy. Burns great though. Takes forever to season.

I'm with ya, when I get down wind of my pile with cherry and oak mixed. When the evening thermals start falling, I can smell that mixture from way down the hill and it puts a smile on my face. I would cut a couple cherrys every year just for the aroma............

:big_smile:

Last edited:
When I have fresh red oak in the pile the wife and I look at each other wondering which one of us let one out. It smells of sulfur to me. And rotten sulfur at that. But it does burn just fine.

I do love the smell of freshly cut or split fire wood. Just bought a Huskee 22 ton spliter (two weeks ago) and have been splitting about an hour every morning before work. I've got 3 cords stacked. Also milled some Hickory planks. The court just smells great. I've got several cords of Black Locust to split when I get done with this pile, and I even like the smell of the Horse Pee Locust. My wife used to say I was on the computer too much. Now I'm out on the court every extra minute. I've said it before, I just don't know what I'll do If i ever get too old to split wood, Joe.

Back