The Tips Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a dozer guy.... I can grade fairly well, but when I have tried to grade with a skidder it was some sort of twisted mangled contorted mess of job....as Old timer said dont do it unless asked too. Plus unless that thing has cable stops to keep the blade from goin under it can lead to trouble. JMO

Damn this is good stuff... As some of you know I haven't ran a skidder since I was 13-14... (less the last few months...). So heres some stuff I figured out in short order...

Grading is a #####.

skidders are very tippy.

Diesels use oil.

Grease Grease grease, and more grease

Side hills are a bad Ju Ju...

Bring lots of water... and sport drink type stuff... or coffee

And get some gloves, if you forget the TP you could use the old gloves first.

If you need to use pockets, sleeves, or cuffs... dark side out... no one wants a sliver there:msp_biggrin:

Dunno if any one mentioned this but be on time before ya worry bout anything else lol ......All bosses I know get a bit grumpy if ya late

If you get frustrated, slow down for a bit. You'll get more done.

When you drop a drag, get that grapple clammed back up, they don't agree with tires and get hung up real good in chains.

And have fun.

That's all I got.....Only did a few months in a grapple.

Make sure your makeup is all done before you get there, no time for fussing with that. Oh and bring a sharpie so you can circle the spot were the silver is, that's also on your time.
If think you brought enough water add 1

Bears don't poo in the woods they poo in the road, you shouldn't follow their example... log trucks tend to go faster then is wise and you're shiny white tuckus may blind the driver, thereby ending your reflections on why the bears don't go in the woods...

Bears don't poo in the woods they poo in the road, you shouldn't follow their example... log trucks tend to go faster then is wise and you're shiny white tuckus may blind the driver, thereby ending your reflections on why the bears don't go in the woods...

And, don't go poopy where the next landing is going to be, or where folks walk. I saw a chaser get chewed out when the yarder was being set up.

Yuckers. This is a gross thing to discuss. Do ya think it is going to rain? Oh, and always bring your rain gear. If you leave it at home, it will rain.

Camera, Jake. Don't forget your camera.

You could also open a 'Skidding Pics' thread.

First rule of Skidding Club. . . You don't talk about Skidding Club. :msp_biggrin:

2nd rule is, don't forget to call yer buddy Nate to come shake hands with yer boss, and watch you work while I drink coffee. I can also take video and pictures -- my fee is a box of doughnuts to eat while I take pictures and video.

Also, don't try to grade with that teeny blade. . . Talk your boss into buying a fancy pants slip on grading blade -- which is convenient, cause I can fab something like that. :msp_biggrin:

3rd rule is, I get to bring my saw and juice the largest tree on the job and then drive away -- I don't limb or buck. :msp_biggrin:

This is Skidding Club. :rock:

First rule of Skidding Club. . . You don't talk about Skidding Club. :msp_biggrin:

2nd rule is, don't forget to call yer buddy Nate to come shake hands with yer boss, and watch you work while I drink coffee. I can also take video and pictures -- my fee is a box of doughnuts to eat while I take pictures and video.

Also, don't try to grade with that teeny blade. . . Talk your boss into buying a fancy pants slip on grading blade -- which is convenient, cause I can fab something like that. :msp_biggrin:

3rd rule is, I get to bring my saw and juice the largest tree on the job and then drive away -- I don't limb or buck. :msp_biggrin:

And if this your first night at skidding club, you have to skid

LOL, I'll make damn sure and do that, hahaha

except the juicing the largest tree bit, that's mine mang

As Skidding Club moves out of the woods, it will be called Project Beer Keg.

Don't mash the cutters pack jugs! Sometimes when we get on a run we let them get out of sight. I'm always partial to mine.

Don't mash the cutters pack jugs! Sometimes when we get on a run we let them get out of sight. I'm always partial to mine.

Might wanna add .......don't mash the cutters either.....they won't like it

Back