The Tips Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We must get back to the task at hand...teaching the green skidder operator what to do and what not to do.. I say he should just watch 2 or 3 episodes of AXMEN and he will learn everything he needs to know...spit while speaking cajun, yell until he is blue in the face, throw his saw and wear bib overalls sewn together with fishing line....

Are you getting all of this sportfaller? this is important stuff here

When you get yer shiny "new" skidder stuck remember to give er full throttle and did a nice big hole... Then video the excavator getting you out after three days... The idea being that eventually you will hit bedrock and get some traction.

If the fallers are packing in or out a long ways on steep ground offer them a ride. Or if they're stashing gear all week offer to haul it to the road for them on Friday. I know it's usually against the rules but believe me the fallers won't dime 'ya

Note... I have never, nor has anyone of my acquaintance or in my employ, ever hitched a ride on a Cat, a rubber tired skidder, a shovel, or any other self propelled piece of logging machinery. :msp_rolleyes:

The rise of the machines has made fallers an endangered species so nurture them, give them sneaky rides, don't squish their kit or them.

After all on many tracts and jobs you and others wouldn't have a job if the fallers hadn't done their's ........so be good to them lol

Good luck in ya new job be safe and get it done

Oh and ps don't get caught lol

Fully-Mech eh?

Then watch fer engine and hydro fires. . . Seems like them crazy Frostback fellas logging just Norff of us burn one to the dirt about every two weeks or so.

At least that's what I've seen in that "Canadian Logger" FB group I'm in. :popcorn:

Fully-Mech eh?

Then watch fer engine and hydro fires. . . Seems like them crazy Frostback fellas logging just Norff of us burn one to the dirt about every two weeks or so.

At least that's what I've seen in that "Canadian Logger" FB group I'm in. :popcorn:

Really? damn man that's a helluva lot of equipment fires, we had a forklift go up in smoke here at the shop a couple years ago, we hosed it down with 13 fire extinguishers and that didn't even stop it, the tires finally caught and it looked like some #### from '84 Lebanon

Really? damn man that's a helluva lot of equipment fires, we had a forklift go up in smoke here at the shop a couple years ago, we hosed it down with 13 fire extinguishers and that didn't even stop it, the tires finally caught and it looked like some #### from '84 Lebanon

Yup, but they've been from different companies. . . And usually clippers, and old ones at that.

One of them that burned they didn't even have insured, it was so old and well used.

They use their stuff balls to the walls too, which may be part of it? I shudder to think of the annual hours those dudes are pumping into their fleet of logging gear.

I'm no skidder jockey, but spend a ton of time on farm machinery with similar problems.

Keep that neck stretched out, look around while you're on a straight pull. Just looking back will have you driving home sitting sideways so you can see forward at the end of the day. The first couple days will have you beat up from the bouncing and being in a position you're not used to (sitting, twisted around, etc.) It may look stupid, but a couple minutes doing some stretches when you get started in the morning and whenever you get a quick break really helps.

Like Nate was saying, fire is a bad thing. When doing your checks, look for sticks, leaves, debris, etc around places that get hot, and keep the radiator and oil coolers cleaned out. Dry fall harvest conditions sell more new combines lately than worn out machines do, it seems.

If the fallers are packing in or out a long ways on steep ground offer them a ride. Or if they're stashing gear all week offer to haul it to the road for them on Friday. I know it's usually against the rules but believe me the fallers won't dime 'ya

Note... I have never, nor has anyone of my acquaintance or in my employ, ever hitched a ride on a Cat, a rubber tired skidder, a shovel, or any other self propelled piece of logging machinery. :msp_rolleyes:

Sure lol......he typed this from his smart phone whilst riding on the hood of a skidder lol dont tell anyone shhhhh

Keep the blade close to the ground when your feeling tippy.

Always be ready to abandon a drag and or throw it in neutral in a hurry, so you don't turn it over...

I was packed in about a mile one day and a skidder op asked if I wanted a ride....I was pretty beat up so I said sure. I crawled in...barely room to even get in there. He backed up to get the last hitch, and by the time he was done...I got out! My legs went to cramping n there, not to mention the edge of the bucket seat balanced on one cheek :msp_rolleyes: was just more than the ride was worth.

I just rode on the hood and gave the operater a view of plumbers crack......:msp_biggrin:

After spending a day cutting blow downs, I didnt care lol. That was the last time I rodae on the hood of a skidder. After that day we had an excavator on the job. That worked out pretty well.

when I was a kid... my uncle sometimes borrowed a skidder. We would drive it to the job (they all seemed close to home and the shop) and drive it back to the shop at night, I would ride in the back either sitting on the winch or tucked into the little trunk looking thing... I was much smaller then... Seem to remember the cutter he sometimes had helping just sorta hung onto the side, standing on the step and hanging onto the cab.

When he didn't have a skidder to borrow it was the old cat and I could walk faster then it...

Don't try any of this crap at home...

Back