The Tips Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember standing on the drawbar of the tractor and holding onto the fenders while my dad was driving down the road...

when I was a kid... my uncle sometimes borrowed a skidder. We would drive it to the job (they all seemed close to home and the shop) and drive it back to the shop at night, I would ride in the back either sitting on the winch or tucked into the little trunk looking thing... I was much smaller then... Seem to remember the cutter he sometimes had helping just sorta hung onto the side, standing on the step and hanging onto the cab.

When he didn't have a skidder to borrow it was the old cat and I could walk faster then it...

Don't try any of this crap at home...

Someone taking a tour in the way back machine...

when I was a kid... my uncle sometimes borrowed a skidder. We would drive it to the job (they all seemed close to home and the shop) and drive it back to the shop at night, I would ride in the back either sitting on the winch or tucked into the little trunk looking thing... I was much smaller then... Seem to remember the cutter he sometimes had helping just sorta hung onto the side, standing on the step and hanging onto the cab.

When he didn't have a skidder to borrow it was the old cat and I could walk faster then it...

Don't try any of this crap at home...

yep' that's how we always did it, no choise on them smaller skidders

I tried to ride on logs when my dad would skid with the tractor. It never worked out so well lol. One time he looked back saw me trying to do that , he stopped came back to me and knocked me over the head so hard my ears rang. Didnt say a word just got back on the tractor and started grabbing gears. My dad was eh......different ..lol

I tried to ride on logs when my dad would skid with the tractor. It never worked out so well lol. One time he looked back saw me trying to do that , he stopped came back to me and knocked me over the head so hard my ears rang. Didnt say a word just got back on the tractor and started grabbing gears. My dad was eh......different ..lol

ithink yer dad took lessons from my dad lol

I swear the old man would smack me up side the head, and then he would say oh Im sorry did that hurt?

Anybody ever ride the logs up to the landing?

I used to all the time when skidding behind my Belgian...ooosh, ankles an stuff! That crap takes balance...uneven horsepower surges and all :msp_biggrin:

My favorite was riding out (2) 3 cutters , then ya had to use yer legs like suspension. I ran 18' long 1 1/2" leather draw lines. Just start yer horse and get the logs a goin' and hop on...pray like Hell ya stayed there cause Ol' Rock wasn't gonna stop if he lost ya...you could usually find him at the next cross fence, whether it be a hundred feet away or a mile...he didn't care. I think he did that #### on purpose. :msp_biggrin:

Last edited:
Dad and his brother logged plug poles back in the day with a horse. He had a bad habit of lunging in the harness instead of easing into it to start the pull and would regularly break the harness. My grandpa grew up using draft mules back in Kansas and came out and broke that SOB of that in a hurry. Forgot how he did it but he was a good hand with the hosses dad says.

Wes

Dad and his brother logged plug poles back in the day with a horse. He had a bad habit of lunging in the harness instead of easing into it to start the pull and would regularly break the harness. My grandpa grew up using draft mules back in Kansas and came out and broke that SOB of that in a hurry. Forgot how he did it but he was a good hand with the hosses dad says.

Wes

I know exactly what your saying there! Rock was a competition pull horse. I couldn't use tongs with him due to the same clink as a hitch to a pull sled. I ran 3 "stinger" chains on a triangle single tree I designed...well, I didn't really just modified it. Rock didn't like working in the rain...period! He would bump when I was hooking and end up dragging me across the ground...not great! I would just give usually give in and let him off for the day.

After I posted it kind of came back. I believe grandpa got after him with a whip to keep him from lunging. With that popper on his butt he didn't have time to lunge instead just hunker down and pull. I guess before that they had just about bought up all the old harness in the country to keep goin.

Latest posts

Back