The truth about Auto-Tune and M-Tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This stuff is pretty exciting. On the one hand, it's basically just TBI reheated and sped up. On the other hand, it offers digital control over things that had always been strictly mechanical. I've done some time with PWM and I can see how this tech could really save some maintenance costs... and wonder if that's in the best interests of corporate minds. Oh, and I am really impressed by the 562. I may just have to get me one a' them.

Kinda unrelated but close

Last night was the last night of racing for mini sprints here in the PNW

Every team has a lap top that the plug into the brain of the race cars; they change the settings of the motors before heat races and main events depending on moister in the air - they don't change them self so each team makes the changes right before the cars go out on the track

I can see the advantages and disadvantages of a new system like this from what I've seen on race tracks. The teams that have it figured out rock on the track and then some don't have a clue about them

I'm waiting on buying something on a saw to make sure they have a better handle on things and I understand it more IMO

Intellicarb was always good. They been aiming at this mark for some time. M-Tronic is better than the old way. They burn real clean--I don't think they save any gas, though whatsover.

A well tuned MS261 or MS362 will save you a ton of gas. Not an M-Tronic MS441. They are a guzzler.

I have not found this at all,my ported 441C will get 30 to 35 min per tank,stock 460 20 to 25 mins per tank,ported 660 about 5 mins lol.
The other ported 441C i just got gets about 25 to 30 mins per tank.

I am a little surprised by the number of 441 owners have responded and the relatively few 576AT.
I don't have much run time on my 576 but no problems yet.
I like my 576AT. I need to contact Mastermind!

Wish I had posted HUSKY... Its seemed the only possibility. This is how Polaris-Ski-Do and Arctic Cat have handles inovations and infringements on snowmobiles.. Honda bought gen 1 hybrid technology from Toyota. The list goes on.
There really was no other options left, was there? :msp_biggrin:

The Komatsu corporation holds the patent on what Stihl calls the Stratified scavenging 2-stroke engine design and what husky calls X-Torque. Both Stihl and Husky have made enough changes to the original patent that they were able utilize the technology? With Husky, this process was made a little easier as their parent company (Electrolux) purchased the Komatsu Corporation a few years back. With respect to auto-tune or M-Tronic, this design has been used for decades in the bike/marine/automotive industry and did not require "permission" or "purchase"

That is inaccurate at best, and E-lux was no longer the parent company of Husky, when Husky bought Zenoah (Redmax in the US) from Komatsu in 2006.

Spike60 posted how Stihl became able to use the first generation Husky technology. :msp_smile:

If Spike is right, I would say Husky sold the wrong version based upon the delight my M-Tronic is to use. Easiest starting manually started internal combustion I've ever operated.

Last edited:
I am a little surprised by the number of 441 owners have responded and the relatively few 576AT.
I don't have much run time on my 576 but no problems yet.
I like my 576AT. I need to contact Mastermind!

The low responces on the 576AT are due to the fact that the 372XT outsells it something like 10-1.

The low responces on the 576AT are due to the fact that the 372XT outsells it something like 10-1.

When you handle them in the showroom, that's easy to understand. The 372 feels lighter than the advertised weight difference vs the 576 in my hands. It's only in the cut that the 576AT's torque shows it's particular strength.

I've got 9 months on a 576AT. I use it for firewood - 10 tonnes so far this year - and mainly run a 24" bar with Stihl semi-chisel chain. I've run it back to back with a mate's 372XP and the 372 feels better in the hands without a doubt. But I didn't buy the saw to swing it around like a lightsaber - I bought it to bury up to the dogs in manna gum, blackwood, candlebark, peppermint and stringybark. And that's where the 576 really shines. *Much* more torque in the cut, and in difficult wood like the stringybark (which has long fibers in the bark that can really clog up your bar and stall the saw) it just keeps on cutting - long past where the similarly set up 372 was calling it quits.

It starts effortlessly, uses less fuel than my old 455 Rancher, and is probably the smoothest saw I've ever used. It hasn't missed a beat in that time. Oh, and it's a doddle to maintain. Aside from the price, no complaints from me.

I have not found this at all,my ported 441C will get 30 to 35 min per tank,stock 460 20 to 25 mins per tank,ported 660 about 5 mins lol.

I'll do some timed cutting, Stihlman. 660's and 044's and 441's flat out. I was only estimating. I usually got to drag me own brush. But I'll do some flat out and see how the gas usage is. It is so hard to tell. Winding up the Stihls takes me to the happy place...where there is no such thang as, "Time."

Im with you. My 441C seems to make a tank last longer than the boss's 290 Stihls. I can easily outlast my ported XPW almost 2 to 1.

The Komatsu corporation holds the patent on what Stihl calls the Stratified scavenging 2-stroke engine design and what husky calls X-Torque. Both Stihl and Husky have made enough changes to the original patent that they were able utilize the technology? With Husky, this process was made a little easier as their parent company (Electrolux) purchased the Komatsu Corporation a few years back. With respect to auto-tune or M-Tronic, this design has been used for decades in the bike/marine/automotive industry and did not require "permission" or "purchase"

:msp_rolleyes::msp_thumbdn:

There really was no other options left, was there? :msp_biggrin:

As a avid snowmobiler, cant tell you how much reading and research I looked at for 2 cycle snowmobile engines. From the basic carb, to the SDI, and now DI fuel injecftion systems. Rotax of Austria provides engines for Doo. They have the most advaced Direct inject engines. The technology, IIRC< was from Orbital, and was being developed with some Marine engine companies. There was also FIGHT, and another. Well, companoies ran out of research money, got gobbled up by bigger fish, and now we have the E-Tec snowmobile enhgines, and also E-tec EVINRUDE :D

I can see this technology being applied to small OPE in the future. Just like in snowmobiles, turning 9K, timing is the issue , and they use dual injectors to " Keep Up ". Interesed to see that Stihl injected saw, to see how its coming along. Should be cartching up to the sled technology someday.

As a avid snowmobiler, cant tell you how much reading and research I looked at for 2 cycle snowmobile engines. From the basic carb, to the SDI, and now DI fuel injecftion systems. Rotax of Austria provides engines for Doo. They have the most advaced Direct inject engines. The technology, IIRC< was from Orbital, and was being developed with some Marine engine companies. There was also FIGHT, and another. Well, companoies ran out of research money, got gobbled up by bigger fish, and now we have the E-Tec snowmobile enhgines, and also E-tec EVINRUDE :D

I can see this technology being applied to small OPE in the future. Just like in snowmobiles, turning 9K, timing is the issue , and they use dual injectors to " Keep Up ". Interesed to see that Stihl injected saw, to see how its coming along. Should be cartching up to the sled technology someday.

Rotax...ahhh that one was like a breath of fresh air. Rotax, yes. Just mentioning that got your rep meter lit up, Buddy.

I'll do some timed cutting, Stihlman. 660's and 044's and 441's flat out. I was only estimating. I usually got to drag me own brush. But I'll do some flat out and see how the gas usage is. It is so hard to tell. Winding up the Stihls takes me to the happy place...where there is no such thang as, "Time."

My times are based on blocking only,start the saw block up non stop until the tank is empty.

Really, and the Stihl460 does it out sell the 441? I wonder?

Most people are old school and dont like change,most fallers get 460s because thats what they know and trust,but its funny how most of the cars we use are fuel injected andor turbo ed these days but thats all good.Its a bit like internet,I phones we all have um.:msp_smile:

Back