The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting there. Off to the marine shop for some SS screws.

309763_291645060845985_100000014805212_1231113_1618237023_n.jpg

Now you need one of those fancy personalized license plates.

OK, back to whining. Switch to high whiney voice....My arms are tired. I just had to spend a half day out on the water, in a kayak, and the Timber Is A Renewable Resource bumper sticker which I stuck on my boat is not waterproof. But, it was a nice thought and I tried.

One of my smart companions said it must have been made out of paper....:laugh:

Instead of whining I'll do some grumbling instead. Today was VERY expensive. To set this up you need to know that I'm a very small one man show. I usually have the mill pick up full loads from the job site. This job was too small to get a full semi load so I was using my equipment trailer and my old F350. This is not the first time I've done my own hauling, but today I was a tad on the heavy side.

See the trailer in the pic on the left? It has three axles right? WRONG! While overloaded going to the mill (somewhere north of 1000 BF of red oak) I snapped an axle. It was really loud. The center tube broke into two pieces. This added more stress to the two remaining axles and now the rear axle has kind of a smiley face look. I haven't done a thorough inspection yet but I'm guessing the front axle is trashed too. Fortunately I wasn't moving very fast when it happened or this post might have been in the injuries and fatalities thread. So now I have to pay the mill to come unload the trailer where I left it at some mom and pop convenience store at the intersection of Boondocks and Nowhere. Furthermore I'm shut down until I can buy new axles and springs and get everything welded back into place. My truck is the only one happy about this because it didn't like pulling that load in the first place. I guess when they say each axle is rated at 6000 lbs they mean it.

:bang:

SF, consider going with tandem dually axles when you rebuild (if there's enough space with the frame for duals). I never liked triaxles for all the side loading on them when turning, and blowing 1 tire on a set of duals ain't as big of a deal as blowing a single.

blowing 1 tire on a set of duals ain't as big of a deal as blowing a single.

That's what started the whole problem was a tire going down on the front axle. Actually that's what ended it. The center tube had to have been weak to start with and this was last straw. The sawmill came and rescued me this morning. They unloaded my trailer and went to the job site and collected the rest of the logs. Once the trailer was empty I was able remove the center axle and pull it home.

They'll grade the logs tonight and I can pick up the check in the morning. These logs aren't high enough quality to get get free transport and the load was short. Can't wait to see how small the check is. All I can hope for is to break even, but after I pay the LO and my fuel cost It'll probably be a loser- not counting repairs.

Axle dilema

I'd like some opinions. As previously stated I usually have the mill come pick up full loads from my jobs. When I don't have a full load or I have a load of crap the mill won't come and get I deliver. Usually in the neighborhood of 700 BF or so at a time. My busted trailer has put quite a pinch on my operation. I can't even haul my "farmer logger" tractor which I use to skid.

I'm dumping the tri axle setup in favor of a tandem. I found a pair of good used 6,000 lb Hayes axles about 60 miles away. The seller is willing to trade me for a Taurus .38 special I have. The revolver is like new, only one box of shells through it. These axles will allow me to move my tractor but will decrease the size the log load I can carry.

Is it right to ever part with a firearm, even if it is the smallest in the arsenal ? (not counting .22s) Will I regret not finding at least 7,000 lb axles? Whadda ya tink?

Last edited:
Instead of whining I'll do some grumbling instead. Today was VERY expensive. To set this up you need to know that I'm a very small one man show. I usually have the mill pick up full loads from the job site. This job was too small to get a full semi load so I was using my equipment trailer and my old F350. This is not the first time I've done my own hauling, but today I was a tad on the heavy side.

See the trailer in the pic on the left? It has three axles right? WRONG! While overloaded going to the mill (somewhere north of 1000 BF of red oak) I snapped an axle. It was really loud. The center tube broke into two pieces. This added more stress to the two remaining axles and now the rear axle has kind of a smiley face look. I haven't done a thorough inspection yet but I'm guessing the front axle is trashed too. Fortunately I wasn't moving very fast when it happened or this post might have been in the injuries and fatalities thread. So now I have to pay the mill to come unload the trailer where I left it at some mom and pop convenience store at the intersection of Boondocks and Nowhere. Furthermore I'm shut down until I can buy new axles and springs and get everything welded back into place. My truck is the only one happy about this because it didn't like pulling that load in the first place. I guess when they say each axle is rated at 6000 lbs they mean it.

:bang:

Whining.......Grumbling.
Potatoe.......Potatoe (hey, they're spelled the same too. :laugh:).
It's really all about the same. Isn't it?

Andy

Is it right to ever part with a firearm, even if it is the smallest in the arsenal ? (not counting .22s) Will I regret not finding at least 7,000 lb axles? Whadda ya tink?

I once sold an early-WWII FN Hi-Power with both Belgian and German acceptance marks in order to make rent. I didn't want to sell it, but it was the firearm I was least attached to, even though it was neat as hell. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Randy, go to the supermarket and get some "flushable baby wipes"

this might be the only time I ever get to give you advice but it's advice that's sound as a yankee dollar

Don't get the day after effect from Tabasco, no matter how much, only if I have way too much crushed red peppers on pizza. No heartburn either.
When I get the urge to smoke and can't, I take a hit of Tabasco, it puts it off for about 30 minutes.

Yes, I am slightly deranged.

Since we're off topic....

Yesterday in my Calculus III class (which is fairly advanced for non math majors) I turned to the significantly-younger-looking-than-me kid beside me, who has a much better grasp on the material than anybody in the class, and asked his age.

15!!!

WTF.... He's a sophomore in high school!

Completely unrelated to Forestry or Tobasco for that matter but hopefully somebody will be able to relate to the inferiority complex that has been thrust upon me.

My whine for today? I'm a bit sore from my retirement this week. So, I have told The Used Dog to go out and load up the saw stuff in the pickup, we'll go get another load of wood this afternoon.

The dog just looked at me, and flopped back down. Sigh.....Maybe it is the lack of thumbs?

The Grapple Cat is not big enough.

Back