things that annoy climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
treding in a dog turd and not knowing it then speading around tree and on my rope when foot locking.

groundie not puttin a knot in the end of the rope then pullin it up to the pulley when your not lookin

as above but even more so when your along way from the pulley

gettin whiped by tail end of rope when you don't know groundie is pullin rope upto pulley

empy saw being sent up

blunt saw being sent up

any other contributions?

Groundies that:

Take longer to open a carabiner than untie a knot; as you are trying to speed things up and make easier at some expense of dollar$ and learning curve.

Will disapear with every 25# branch, and not be there to unhitch limbs etc. to keep climber going; especially when huge pile can be drug by motor power; but they're doing man's work so shouldn't be disturbed....

Wear theirselves out lifting etc. when not necessary.

Drink the last of your water, while your in the tree busting it

Go home early cuz it may rain, but will leave a window open

constantly want to store lines but won't follow whatever the procedure is.

Will never try to think if they need anything from truck when dragging to it, the item itself requires a seperate empty handed trip back to truck. They should not have to think both ways.

Think "Clear" yelled by climber includes only people, and not 044's etc.

Ones that you have to say :

Your other left,

Down........towards the ground i mean........Down

Why would you check the oil and not water?

What do you think was meant the last 8x times someone polightly mentioned that you should have sent the carabiner back up with the line each time (before lunch)?

No, you hold your rope tight, he let's his a lil'loose, and it comes towards you, away from him and the house... like the other 4x...

Ain't Life Grate!:D

Training ground person and they are GONE after 3 days.

The word 'just' and pointing at the work should be the same as doing it and saving the beds and decks etc. A quickie in their minds when it is not. And the client complains that it took to much.

The pain in your knee is killing you and the passion to climb and get the job done over rides all else.

Some cotton woods, old ones. (This climber anyway.)

A whole tree of nothing but tight crotches.

Stuck throw bag.

Jack

Not keeping the lowering line uncrossed, adding more friction and frustration for just a simple limb lowering.

Larry

Originally posted by rumination
Ha! How about TWO stuck throwbags?:cry:

Real bad; 2 stuck throw bags and a stuck monkey fist. And it's getting dark and about to rain.

Has happened,
Jack

When you've just finished a BIG removal and your d#$@ is in the dirt you've got two more to do and no one is around to help you gather up all the gear it took to do the job. You look over and see the others drinking water, looking around, or asking what to do. Now that will get you p*$$@#.:angry2:

Groundperson that is paying more attention to the neighbor than the climber.

Customer that waits until feet hit the ground before asking "Are you going to cut that one too?"

Chain saw that start with 2 pulls on the ground and then gets hauled into a tree and will not.

Throwing your rope up higher and it lands where you do not want it and then gets stuck.

Weatherperson says no rain in forcast and as soon as you get tied in top of tree you hear thunder.

:mad:

Groundie says that the lowering line is tied on to climbing line. Start to pull climbing line up, lowering line starts sliding down the climbing line.

Groundie starts to pull hard on the tag line way before you need them to.

Groundie starts shaking top of tree when you are nice and high up on a very skinny spar.

The tree service owner or owner’s son on the job causing slowdowns and aggravation while they think they are getting the job done faster.

My father owned a tree service for over 30 years. He told me “I learned a long time ago to show the crew the job and leave them alone so they can do it. If I stay on the job with them it takes longer to get the job done and they break more things.” I totally agree with him. A good crew knows what to do and they work better together without the owner screaming at them. A climber needs to be able to work. Every time the owner bothers the climber it slows him down, not speed him up.

Originally posted by Tim Gardner
My father owned a tree service for over 30 years. He told me “I learned a long time ago to show the crew the job and leave them alone so they can do it. If I stay on the job with them it takes longer to get the job done and they break more things.” I totally agree with him. A good crew knows what to do and they work better together without the owner screaming at them. A climber needs to be able to work. Every time the owner bothers the climber it slows him down, not speed him up.

Sweet! Dam straight, too!:blob2:

Sales arborist telling you in the morning "todays job is a no brainer, slam dunk dude" Funny hearing that makes the veins stand out on my forehead.

Originally posted by TreeCo
Climbers that think they know better than owners when the owners butt is on the line for damage done.

Dan

:D

My father was still in his 20’s when he had to hire a full time climber to take his place on the crew because he didn’t have time to climb/run the crew and bid jobs etc. How busy are you that you can stay on the job with the crew? He!!, most owners couldn’t get their fat, out of shape a$$ up a tree with a trebuchet much less know how a difficult job needs to be rigged out. Why would a tree service owner hire a climber if he did not have confidence in his skills? Keep yelling and making the crew nervous or pi$$ed off and they will screw up or walk away. How’s your turnover rate with employees?

I did say a "good" crew. There are some crews you can't turn your back on. :D

I learned enough about tree service ownership while working for my father. I'll have none of that thank you. When I go home I don't take all that worry with me. I won't even run crews anymore. I'm making about $200,000.00 less per year than my father was but I can spend time on other things that he could not. Like my family for example. :)

groundie tying a drill onto your new rope with the gas cap not on all the way. new rope covered in oilgas mix while you rappel the rope through your new split tail.

Latest posts

Back