things that annoy climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch. Handsaw cuts definately hurt and are troublesome to heal quickly.

Today - burned-out. A dead oak that they built the house around. Easy and fun climb when bid, cut and toss and rig and zing. However the standing-seam reflective roof was like working in a solar hot-dog parabolic cooker. Dripping wet wis goo, eyes burning, soaking wet and sunBURNed like an albino offshore of Hawaii. I had two other trees to do there, tomorrow instead. Zapped, drained, sore. Burnt. Crispy. Fried. Now got the chills.

No beer, just water tonight.

Sure made a dusty chip mess in the kitchen - and the hardest cut was the thin slice near the ceiling, inside. The trunk had calloused around the sheet metal roof so lot's of thin slices to work it out of there. Ever chunk a biggie inside a house? Man, it was pretty loud. Not only burnt out but ears are ringing too.

I miss the pines, especially the ones so tall the wind keeps you cool no matter how hot and humid it is.

My fisrt 'nick' with a silky led me to the ER, where I got 3 stitches to close the vein on the top of my forearm. Now I don't cross hands while trying to cut a branch and hold it at the same time!The second time, it was wet, and my hand sliped off the handle. Me finger got stuck on the teeth, and my thumb webbing got sliced on the TOP of the saw - even the non cutting parts are sharp!

Groundie cutting a climb line in half and then insisting that I must have done it.

Groundie sending up the 200T with out securing the oil cap and spilling oil all over my climb line.

Getting a throwball stuck in a nasty locust that was covered in thorns, only to have that cheap Fly-lite throw line bread and ya gotta do the monkey hump up that thing.

Launching a throw ball up into a crotch that is wayyyyyy up there, only to have it stop about 6 inches from the target cuz you were standing on the line.

Showing up to dead wood a tree and 1/2 of the tree is dead. but the sales man says, he couldnt see what was dead and what was live because its winter. (like the bark sloughing off the leaders wasnt a dead give away.

Drinking a pot of coffee in the morning and having the home owner want to watch you work, so there is not a chance in he!! of being able to pee out of the tree.

Having the home owner leave thier brand New SUV parked under the tree your going to trim, and then head off to work.

These are just a few of my favorite things

Kenn
:Monkey: :angry:

Clients offering beer at ANY point during the day.

Clients who take off during the job saying that they will pay you when you get back, and then never seem to come back.

Originally posted by OutOnaLimb

Much deletion ...

Launching a throw ball up into a crotch that is wayyyyyy up there, only to have it stop about 6 inches from the target cuz you were standing on the line.

More deletion ...

Oh, my, thought that was my personal thing. Hate it!

Jack:p

Since I've listened to all you arbor stars, Ive got many nicks in my climbing ropes from that favorite saw mentioned here. what is it called ... zooblast.
:D
Jack
:D

Originally posted by oakwilt
Ou

......Today - burned-out. A dead oak that they built the house around.........

Sure made a dusty chip mess in the kitchen - and the hardest cut was the thin slice near the ceiling, inside. The trunk had calloused around the sheet metal roof so lot's of thin slices to work it out of there. Ever chunk a biggie inside a house? Man, it was pretty loud. Not only burnt out but ears are ringing too.

I have some pictures of a job we did like that about 20 years ago. The only job I remember having pictures of with my dad, brother and me together. I’ll try to find them and post them.

That sounds cool Tim. My son was my helper today. He kept making sure I had iced-down bottled water along with his duties of moving the brush and belaying the chuncks so I had zero trash to come down to.

It's something special when families can work together, if everyone gets along. The drive home was awsome, like anytime we spend together.

Why do people build a house around a tree and soon forget about little details like compensating for growth and such? The roof clearly killed this behemoth, assisted by solar cooking.

Blaster, I shall acquire some liquids that replace. I wasn't thinking about the tin roof and sunshine and 95 degree temps when I bid this baby. It was a cool Spring day. Lesson learned, again.

Customers that...

...have you cut a tree in the front of their property only to find out that its on city property. I now check with the city first and have customers agree to take all responsibility if tree happens to be on city property. My father always says "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see, find out for yourself and proceed with caution" !!! ;)

Speaking of throw ball frustration...

Do you ever have one of those crotches, that you just can't get?
Yesterday, I hit the crotch, only about thirty feet up and fairly big. Got it on the first throw and the ball gets stuck. Second toss with different ball, hits targat gets stuck, line breaks.
Then for about five minutes, throw after throw, I just can't hit it.
It's a simple throw. I could normally do it in one, maybe two throws. Is it a mind block? I don't know.
I finally got mad and put the ladder up.

i do like it when i can walk/swing the ball/line into a good position from a bad one, without rethrowing. Especially the few times i have intended to do that from the start; and it actually all worked out!

groundies that throw rakings into the chipper

you're done with the job, customer says, "hey... I'm a little short on funds, can I pay you the balance at a later time?"

customers that are too cheap to pay to have the stump ground, but want you to flush cut thru dirt, rocks, etc... BELOW ground. (I tell them NO)

You see a dead branch, you throw a line in it, and it breaks off just from the weight of the lowering line... just as you're starting the saw. (couple weeks ago)

I can think of a hundred other things, I'm sure.

:laugh:

Things that annoy me.....

When climbing a huge beech or oak that is 100% healthy, and I have to answer 5 times a day..."No, we are not cutting this tree down".

The people asking these questions standing under me.:mad:

Being asked to reduce a healthy tree for sunlight reasons.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
I like Kenn and Mikes peves best. Others can tick me off some, but no one else can piss me of like I can.:D

Favoritism?:D

That tics me off.:D

Jack:cool:

Groundies just standing there watching the chipper smoke it's belts with a jammed up log and don't move until you scream at them. They can't get it unstuck and you have to climb down and fix it. 15 mins later as you get back up they stick it back in because maybe it will work this time
ARGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Coming down out of a large tree, only to find that you have a LARGE mess to help clean up because the ground crew can't keep up.

Having the tail of your climbing line get caught up in a piece of brush on the ground or under a piece of wood making it a PITA to pull up.

Originally posted by treeman82

Having the tail of your climbing line get caught up in a piece of brush on the ground or under a piece of wood making it a PITA to pull up.

... while the groundie is standing there like a dumbass...

eh?

Back