Thinking about selling my 361...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know it may sound like sacrilege but I'm thinking about selling my cancer curing ms361. I've only had it two winters of firewood cutting but its kind of the odd man out right now.

For all the bucking I have to have the 7900 in my hands and for limbing I find its just too heavy so I usually grab my anemic 021.

Plus, I just picked up a very clean Jonsered 630 two weeks ago that will fit the few rare times when I only grab one do it all saw.

Finally, I just talked to a small outdoor powershop owner who said he could get me a Husqvarna 346 xp (with a 16" bar) for $440.00 plus tax! That's the real motivator. I think I could get through most everything with the 346/7900 combo!

Should I do it? How much can I get out of my well cared for 361 with 3 chains(one new) and 18 inch bar? Thanks for the input.

Here's a pic of the 361 and its equal, the Jred 630( I ran them both through that log multiple times and they were both at 13 to 15 seconds. The Jred is just a slight bit heavier feeling is the only difference. Amazing for a saw thats over 25 years older!)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Probably you're right if you suffer from lack of CAD. The 7900 and the 346 will be enough for firewood. The 361 becomes redundant if you work with the other 2 saws. I have a similar combination with a 460 and a 270 and for now, these two are more than enough for me to harvest firewood.

I actually like the 361 for limbing, with a 15" bar - but a 346xp sure sound more useful to you, from what you wrote. :)

too many saws

i know what you mean about too many saws , i thought i might take the boys for the first firewood run this year and i realised that i need another ute along to carry the firewood,i like to give the two pro mac 850's a run for old times sake and i enjoy using the 460's so i take them and i use the 660 for falling and the 076 for the trunk as its so gutsy and my wife has pinched my 372 and will not give it back or the little mcculloch which is indesructable and we both like . ijust picked up a makita 6401 i would like to give a good run and also a little 45cc wild thing that has yet to hit wood. i am so glad that i do not have CAD or i would need a bigger ute .
oops, sorry but the 288 just reminded me that it wants a run and now the 090 reckons it being discriminated against , anybody got a double decker trayback for my ute.

Last edited:
For limbing purposes, you really should consider putting a 32" bar on your 7900 so you can sit in a lawn chair while you cut. On the other hand, from the threads on here about Husky vs. Dolmar, you having both would be like that old movie "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" to some of the boys around here. BTW, that Stihl is immaculate, if it was me around here trying to sell it I would probably try to get from $200 to $250 for it only because of its age.

For limbing purposes, you really should consider putting a 32" bar on your 7900 so you can sit in a lawn chair while you cut. On the other hand, from the threads on here about Husky vs. Dolmar, you having both would be like that old movie "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" to some of the boys around here. BTW, that Stihl is immaculate, if it was me around here trying to sell it I would probably try to get from $200 to $250 for it only because of its age.

Good stuff Jimdad! It is pretty old!:clap: I do have CAD by the way, it's just that mine is more like CADOB(Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder On a Budget)!
Well, I'm trying at least. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery they say!
(Did I mention that I bought a saw last week? And now I'm looking at another? Or that I just happened to peruse by the local (if you call driving 20 miles local) pawnshop for chainsaws yesterday?)

Man. I need help. At least its not Crack.

Good stuff Jimdad! It is pretty old!:clap: I do have CAD by the way, it's just that mine is more like CADOB(Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder On a Budget)!
Well, I'm trying at least. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery they say!
(Did I mention that I bought a saw last week? And now I'm looking at another? Or that I just happened to peruse by the local (if you call driving 20 miles local) pawnshop for chainsaws yesterday?)

Man. I need help. At least its not Crack.

I have the same problem with the budget issue vs. the addiction, I have to sell bodily fluids ;)just to buy saw gas. I can't even tell you what I have to do the get saws and power tools, it's just not right.

I have CAD by the way, it's just that mine is more like CADOB(Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder On a Budget)! Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery they say!

There is no recovery. In here, admitting you have CAD is just the first step toward being in good company for the rest of your life. There's some darn fine sports at AS. :cheers:

I have used the OE346, the NE346, the dolmar 5100 and the ms361 for limbing. Best of the bunch is the OE346 with the NE346 a close second. In my opinion, the ms361 is totally out of its league as a limbing saw but you already have a lot of sunk costs in the saw. Why sell it?? Buy the 346xp and keep the ms361 as a dust collector. You never know, it may come in handy someday, just not today and probably not tommorow and........

..... you already have a lot of sunk costs in the saw. Why sell it?? Buy the 346xp and keep the ms361 as a dust collector. You never know, it may come in handy someday, just not today and probably not tommorow and........

Best advice so far! :agree2:

I'd sell the 630 and 021, keep the 361. Find a used p&c for your 350, that could be your limbing saw.

I thought about selling the 021 and 630. I have no problem getting rid of the 021 as its just not enough power, but I kinda like that ole 630 so its staying for now.

I was going for the 350 p/c route but the carb and various other bits and pieces were scavenged from it. My brother inlaw gave it to me free but the excitement subsided once I took the filter cover off. Nothing there but the coil wire! I need to remove that one from the sig. At this point its going to make a great first "real" saw for my 3 yr. old son after I part out the heavy internals!

Let me know how much you want for the saw.

Latest posts

Back