Thinking of building a stihl 026 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipmc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My cad itch is flaring up again. This will be a winter project. But before I put to much thought or $ into this I wanted some opinions first. Are parts really easy to get at a decent price ? Right now I do not have a single part for a 026 pro so I would need to start from complete scratch. Maybe do a mild port job on it myself. Make the plastics and case look like new as possible.

Yes I know it would probably cheaper to go out and get a fixer upper and that only needs a little work. But something about bringing parts and carcass saws back from the dead is alot more rewarding. Also hope to do a work log while building it. So thoughts, flames and opinions welcome.

I have 5-6 of these hanging around right now and I can attest that it's easier with a semi complete carcass to start with. The expensive bits will probably be a walbro 194 carb $40-$70ish, rear handle/tank $60ish, good P&C... probably $75-$100 for OEM or really good AM quality. The plastics can be expensive too. Especially the air filter covers in the older 026 flat top style b/c there aren't any AM plastics to match. You can get a new AM set of ms260 pro covers with the hump up top for $40-$60.

You need to make sure that your air filter, tank, and top plastics all match. The pro 026/260 has a short tank vent allowing the wider/larger pro filter, and the pro filter has to match the latch on the top covers. of course you can modify a non-pro tank/handle assembly to take the larger filter with a couple parts too.

Keep in mind the only difference between the pro and non-pro 026's were a couple small things. Decomp on pro that's not needed unless you are pushing 200+psi from a pro porting job. A adjustable oiler that no-one really needs b/c the non-adjustable oiler pushes enough bar oil for a 18-20in bar anyhow. Also you probably got a walbro 194 carb which is an easy swap from the fixed H-jet carb. Guess what I'm trying to say is that after I hunted down all the parts to make a pro version myself... It wasn't really worth the hastle. the non-pro is the same saw and has less gimics to break down the road. Plus non-pro parts are cheaper.

The only reason people got pro-versions is b/c the Stihl salesman sold them on the extra features that they didn't need in the first place!

I personally wouldn't do it...OEM parts available but NOT cheap..and that's all I will use..

You could buy one in real good shape for $225-$275 off Ebay...unless you just want the experience..??

Building (and I emphasize building - not repairing) 50cc saws are generally a "$$ pit" - IMHO..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I personally wouldn't do it...OEM parts available but NOT cheap..and that's all I will use..

You could buy one in real good shape for $225-$275 off Ebay...unless you just want the experience..??

Building (and I emphasize building - not repairing) 50cc saws are generally a "$$ pit" - IMHO..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Well I'm doing it for experience mainly. Also in this neck of the woods 50 cc saws are ideal, very few trees over 24" in diameter. And for those that are we have the jonsered 2071 turbo with 28" b/c. I also have a MS290 with mm wearing a 18" b/c. There will be 2 people cutting. Myself and FIL. So 2 50cc saws would work out well. Also I would like a winter project.

P.S if i finish this project to soon I will be on the hunt for another top handle carcase to build so we will have 2 limbing saws.

Last edited:
Its not the cost that matters, its what the end result is. I am building and 056... And that is not cheap. BUT, I am learning a HECK of alot about them, and it has got to be the best feeling in the world. When you get a major project finished. MUCH more of a rush than just buying something.

thats my input! GO FOR IT SIR! :) But Pics will be needed!

Its not the cost that matters, its what the end result is. I am building and 056... And that is not cheap. BUT, I am learning a HECK of alot about them, and it has got to be the best feeling in the world. When you get a major project finished. MUCH more of a rush than just buying something.

thats my input! GO FOR IT SIR! :) But Pics will be needed!

I did the same thing with an 031 that I bought new in 1981. I had the high speed jet adjusted too lean and siezed it cutting a stump. It sat disassembled in a box for close to 4 years before I found this site and just had to put it back together. It's a good runner again but I probably spent more money on it than it will ever be worth. It was the first saw that I bought with my own money so it has sentimental value.

Pics!

downsized_0512121149.jpg

downsized_1217111023a.jpg

Here it is with dual spikes!

downsized_1005121806.jpg

There are lots of parts/used parts available, we prolly have 20 to 30 parts saws at our shop alone, we sell our good clean used parts for half of new. Brought a extemely nice 260 Pro back from the dead this week, it had set in it's case for 4/5 years without being touched, cylinder and piston were perfect, 97.00 later he walked out with a like new saw. Only reason it cost him so much we could not get the orginal carb to function, seats were wore out, just took one off a donor and rebuilt it, vac tested, new plug, fuel line, fuel filter and complete cleaning and he was as happy as could be.
Great little 50cc saws.

Awesome Saw Hauler

I did the same thing with an 031 that I bought new in 1981. I had the high speed jet adjusted too lean and siezed it cutting a stump. It sat disassembled in a box for close to 4 years before I found this site and just had to put it back together. It's a good runner again but I probably spent more money on it than it will ever be worth. It was the first saw that I bought with my own money so it has sentimental value.

Pics!

downsized_0512121149.jpg

downsized_1217111023a.jpg

Here it is with dual spikes!

downsized_1005121806.jpg

What is the little doodlebug you use to haul your saws?

I don't know what to rebuild next month; I just did a 026 (but not a pro thu)

I have a 031 seating back in the barn but doing a 026 pro sure sounds fun :msp_biggrin:

Sounding more and more like i should do it. I think iv got myself dead set on doing it and my wife convinced to let me spend the $ to do it (we all know how that is) Talked with nstueve in pm and will probably buy a carcase from him, being we both live in IA and only about 1 hour drive away. I will be putting new seals and bearings in it, Getting a good used OEM p/c or new good aftermarket, mauhl ? brand ? is that what it is ?. Also what tools am I going to need to do all this? I have the basic stuff, but pullers, and such I do not have. Will also probably need a dremeal tool. for the light port work. And yes like I said before I am hoping to do a build log with pictures.

Really like 026's. Pro's are ok but don't use the decomp valve, never have on any saw. Seems to start faster without it. Usually don't fool with the oil adjuster, to a point more is better. I have one 026 pro and 3 currently running 026's. All good saws can't tell much difference in any of them. I actually think the oldest 026 I have, with a modified muffler and tweaked carb on eats the others lunch, including the Pro. Would like to do some woods porting on one just to compare. E wouldn't want to shorten life span how ever. As I have no knowledge or experience in porting. I understand the more air flow concept but the timing and squish eludes me.

wow I have an AWSOME wife. After some talk back and forth she will let me do some of it in the house and use the oven. :D

This will be a one time deal in the kitchen before the wife says 'no more'. So while your at it, get the use of the dishwasher for parts cleanup. :rock:

Latest posts

Back