thinking of rebuilding 044???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axmen365

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a old 044 off ebay and rebuilding it. Has anyone ever here ever rebuilt a 044?? And if you have, was it hard getting parts for it? is it a difficult saw to work on? was it worth it?

I would mainly be doing this to learn about the saw and becoming familiar with the parts and mechanisms.

Any thoughts? Wise investment?

The 044 is well worth its gold if you rebuilt it. Reliable, trusting, balanced and power. What more could you ask for? There are many of people on AS that have them and love them. Personally for me? Its go big or go home, but I have handled and use the 044. Great all around saw. Invest and rebuild it. There are plenty of parts out there. Take pictures and keep us posted, good luck. :cheers:

I'm thinking about getting a old 044 off ebay and rebuilding it. Has anyone ever here ever rebuilt a 044?? And if you have, was it hard getting parts for it? is it a difficult saw to work on? was it worth it?

I would mainly be doing this to learn about the saw and becoming familiar with the parts and mechanisms.

Any thoughts? Wise investment?

Great saw to rebuild due to the abundance of aftermarket and used parts. Be careful getting one on Ebay. Most Ebay parts and projects saws need way more then top end work. However most bidders think that's all there is and bid them up to pretty high levels.

I was thinking of getting one on ebay, I don't know where else i would get one. I was hoping to get one for less then $100 and rebuild it, I don't have a saw at this moment.

I was thinking of getting one on ebay, I don't know where else i would get one. I was hoping to get one for less then $100 and rebuild it, I don't have a saw at this moment.

I hope you have more than $100 in your pocket. Most of the carcasses I've seen go above that bench mark. But you might just get luck enough and find one in that range.

think you can get a air cleaner cover for that money

Worth making sure it's the newer style 044, there is a serial number cut off that can be checked. Ones before a certain SN have 10mm piston pin that kills the idea of using the aftermarket jugs or BB options.

Not likely. For $100 you'll get a 044 carcass that will likely be missing some key parts that are dealer only. In addition they could need bottom end work. (ex: bearings, seals, crank). Splitting a case and replacing seals/bearings usually requires specialized Stihl tools.

You'll likely do better avoiding Ebay.

Not likely. For $100 you'll get a 044 carcass that will likely be missing some key parts that are dealer only. In addition they could need bottom end work. (ex: bearings, seals, crank). Splitting a case and replacing seals/bearings usually requires specialized Stihl tools.

You'll likely do better avoiding Ebay.

Where do you suggest I should go then? Craigslist?

Be prepared to spend another $100 to replace the busted handle/tank. You need to start with a complete saw or be prepared to spend a lot more on parts that you ever dreamed. There's nothing cheap about Pro Stihl saws, running or otherwise.

What I originally told my dad was that i was lookin' to buy a beat up 044/440 and then tear it apart, fix it, then possibly sell it. The main reason for doing this would be to learn alot more about the saw. I was also looking to sell it after wards to make some money from the entire thing. So that's where i am right now. I don't want anything serious to fix like seals and stuff, but mostly jes to educate my self on the parts and mechanism.

Seals are simple. Don't be discouraged to do this. Just be careful what you buy. Know that parts are expensive. Even parts saws aren't cheap most of the time. They're in high demand. Be very clear in what you're getting from the seller. Make sure and ask specific quesitons. The only thing you probably want to avoid at this point is splitting the crancase. The only things that would require this is a bad crank or crank bearings.

Latest posts

Back