thinking of rebuilding 044???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ain't none of us trying to discourage you from buying it. An 044 would make one hell of a good day. This is your first rebuild on one correct? If so, the 044 might be an expensive first. On the other hand. The turn around profit might well be worth your time and effort. I'd buy it for the hell of it, but it wouldn't be the my first rebuild. I'd fine something a little cheaper or withing a decent budget range to tinker with. Just my 2 cents. But have faith!

Danger Will Robinson!

What do you mean?

That saw looks really rough and is missing parts. Buyer beware.

Yep.

from wikipedia:
“Danger, Will Robinson!” is an English catch phrase from the classic 1960s American television series Lost in Space. The Robot says this to the child Will Robinson.

In hacker culture and in English-speaking society, this catch phrase currently serves to inform someone that they are about to make a mistake—that there’s a factor he or she overlooked which ought to be taken into account.

When given in person, the vocal klaxon is more-often-than-not accompanied by a brief and careful oscillation of one’s arms to and fro and up and down, parodying the body language of the original chrome-plated character.

Despite the popularity of the phrase in everyday culture, it was only said once on the show. This was during episode 11 of season 3 "The Deadliest of the Species". The Robot gave warnings intermittently to Will and the other crew members of the Jupiter 2, in the form of the expressions "Warning!" and "Danger!".

I said this because:

Ain't none of us trying to discourage you from buying it. An 044 would make one hell of a good day. This is your first rebuild on one correct? If so, the 044 might be an expensive first. On the other hand. The turn around profit might well be worth your time and effort. I'd buy it for the hell of it, but it wouldn't be the my first rebuild. I'd fine something a little cheaper or withing a decent budget range to tinker with. Just my 2 cents. But have faith!

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting one on ebay, I don't know where else i would get one. I was hoping to get one for less then $100 and rebuild it, I don't have a saw at this moment.

Word of mouth, G-sales, Estate Sales, Dealer's junk pile, pawn shops, AS Trading Post, Nickel Ads.

All of the above are usually better then Ebay.

what about something like this??

My rough estimates:

Rear shroud - $35, Side Cover - $25, Tank - $100, Air Filter - $25, P/C Kit - $100, Misc. - $50, Final Ebay price - $200.

I'm guessing this will be a $500+ project.

Be prepared to spend another $100 to replace the busted handle/tank. You need to start with a complete saw or be prepared to spend a lot more on parts that you ever dreamed. There's nothing cheap about Pro Stihl saws, running or otherwise.

There is a thread on handle repair, actually on an 066. JB Weld and #9 wire.... Very sturdy. But you still may be better off with a complete saw to start with. Check the Trading Post here on AS daily, put the word out, and you may be surprised at what pops up. Good luck!

Yep.

I said this because:

Dr. Joat, you would make a very good schoolteacher, but I'm afraid you may not have the requisite masochistic tendencies....

A very good warning. I just saw where the OP was looking to make money on this whole thing. If you want to make money, go to your job and save your paycheck. You will spend many hours and dollars restoring an old chainsaw. You may come out OK if you are willing to count the time and money as "tuition." If you are super-shrewd, and want to refurbish saws full time, you may eventually do OK at it, like Curt B. in NC, and some others. However, it takes much time and money to get "there" from "here."

So, I echo Dr. Joat's warning: "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"

Remember the principle of "Caveat Emptor" (let the buyer beware)

It's a fun project, but don't expect it to be cheap if you want it done right, with the result being a like-new machine.

I've been wanting to rebuild another over the winter, as I'm still kicking myself (hard) for selling the one I rebuilt a while back with some nice parts from AS members...

Dr. Joat, you would make a very good schoolteacher, but I'm afraid you may not have the requisite masochistic tendencies....

A very good warning. I just saw where the OP was looking to make money on this whole thing. If you want to make money, go to your job and save your paycheck. You will spend many hours and dollars restoring an old chainsaw. You may come out OK if you are willing to count the time and money as "tuition." If you are super-shrewd, and want to refurbish saws full time, you may eventually do OK at it, like Curt B. in NC, and some others. However, it takes much time and money to get "there" from "here."

So, I echo Dr. Joat's warning: "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"

Remember the principle of "Caveat Emptor" (let the buyer beware)

TM,

Well, I am a teacher of sorts. I ply that craft, with a dose of art, every Sunday morning in the Preschool area.

Of course, "Caveat Emptor" should be conveyed as warning to the preschoolers and thier control agents.

I remain,

Joat

I've done an 044 and a MS440 and these saws are easy to come by, and easy to work on.
But they are often BEAT! here's pictures of the two I've done. I didn't make any monye but I atleast recoup all of parts I put into them.

Before
3192_1.jpg

After
100_0826.jpg

MS440
Before
b513_1.jpg

After
DSCN0139.jpg

Both saws I bought running so most of the work was costmetic and I could have held off on making them both look so nice.
The 044 I bought for about 225$ and when I was done had 400$ in it, but that includes a new handle assembly,
bar and chain, elasto start handle and a few other misc. things. Sold it for about 450$

The MS440 I bought for 200$, and ended up with about 550$ in it. It ended up being a money pit,
I had to replace all of the plastic on the saw, air filter, clutch cover, bar and chain luckily I had a nice used rewind because even that was busted. I sold the MS440 for 600$

I mainly do it get more experience and knowledge about bigger Stihl saws since not many bigger saws come into the shop.

i'll also echo the warning for ebay parts saws. I will never buy another unless it costs under $20. I got one recently that i figured the piston and cylinder were fried, but darn near every part was broken or unusable. Crank bearings toast, crank damaged, rear handle busted, top handle busted ect. That saw on ebay is a dumpster queen, i'd only take it if given to me, then sell it on ebay :spam: Keep your eyes open for something local, or find another saw to tear into to do the learning.

i'll also echo the warning for ebay parts saws. I will never buy another unless it costs under $20. I got one recently that i figured the piston and cylinder were fried, but darn near every part was broken or unusable. Crank bearings toast, crank damaged, rear handle busted, top handle busted ect. That saw on ebay is a dumpster queen, i'd only take it if given to me, then sell it on ebay :spam: Keep your eyes open for something local, or find another saw to tear into to do the learning.

If thats garbage, then I should constantly be on the lookout on the trading post? I don't want to spend more then $100 bucks. You are right, I don't want to deal with nothing working on the saw, but that saw won't sell for more than $100, right?

Back