Thinning bar oil in cold weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40. Davidoff A, Fogarty L. Psychogenic origins of multiple chemical sensitivities syndrome: a critical review of the research literature. Arch Environ Health 49:316-325 (1994).
41. Callender T, Morrow L, Subramanian K, Duhon D, Ristovv M. Three-dimensional brain metabolic imaging in patients with toxic encephalopathy. Environ Res 60: 295-319 (1993).
42. Heuser G, Wodjani A, Heuser S. Diagnostic markers in chemical sensitivity. In: Multiple Chemical Sensitivities: Addendum to Biologic Markers in Immunotoxicology. Washington:
National Academy Press, 1992;117-138.
43. Fiedler N, Maccia C, Kipen H. Evaluation of chemically-sensitive patients. J Occup Med 34:529-538 (1992).
44. Meggs W, Cleveland C. Rhinolaryngoscopic examination of patients with multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome. Arch Environ Health 48(1):14-18 (1993).
45. Buchwald D, Garrity D. Comparison of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and multiple chemical sensitivities. Arch Int Med 154:2049-2053 (1994).
46. Romano T, Stiller J. Abnormal cutaneous perception in primary, secondary and post-traumatic fibromyalgia patients. Arthritis Rheum 31(Suppl 4):S99 (1988).
47. Russell IJ, Vipraio GA, Michalek J, Fletcher E. Abnormal T cell subpopulations in fibrositis syndrome. Arthritis and Rheum 31(Suppl 4):S99 (1988).
48. Goldenberg D, Simms RW, Geiger A, Komaroff A. High frequency of fibromyalgia in patients with chronic fatigue seen in a primary care practice. Arthritis Rheum 33:381-387 (1990).
49. Klimas N, Salvato FR, Morgan R, Fletcher MA. Immunologic abnormalities in chronic fatigue syndrome. J Clin Microbiol 28:1403-1410 (1990).
50. Cotton P. Treatment proposed for chronic fatigue syndrome; research continues to compile data on disorder. JAMA 266:2667-2668 (1991).
51. Cheney P. Proposed pathophysiologic mechanism of CFIDS. CFIDS Chronicle, Spring 1994;1-3.
52. Bell IR. White paper: neuropsychiatric aspects of sensitivity to low-level chemicals: a neural sensitization model. Toxicol Ind Health 10:277-312 (1994).
53. Goldstein J. The evolving hypothesis. CFS: Limbic encephalopathy in a dysfunctional neuroimmune network. CFIDS Chronicle, Fall 1991;19-24.
54. Davidoff L. Symptoms and health status in individuals with multiple chemical sensitivities syndrome from four reported sensitizing exposures and a general population comparison group. Arch Environ Health 51:201-213 (1996).
55. Hafler D, Fox DA, Benjamin D, Weiner HL. Antigen reactive memory T cells are defined by TA1. J Immunol 137:414-418 (1986).
56. Simon G. Question and answer session 3. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Low-Level Exposure to Chemicals and Neurobiologic Sensitivity, 6-7 April 1994, Baltimore, Maryland (Mitchell FL, ed). J Toxicol Ind Health 10:526-527 (1994).
57. Baker GP. Porphyria and MCS symptoms overlap--another chemical connection. Townsend Letter for Doctors 144:72-73 (1995).
58. Donnay A, Ziem G. Protocol for Diagnosing Disorders of Porphyrin Metabolism in Chemically-Sensitive Patients. Baltimore, MD:MCS Referral & Resources, Inc., 1995.
59. Kappas A, Sassa S, Galbraith RA, Norman Y. The porphyrias. In: The Metabolic Basis of Inherited Disease, 6th ed. (Scriver CR, Beaudet AL, Sly WS, Valle D, eds). New York:McGraw-Hill Information Services Company, 1989;1305-1365.
60. Simon G, Daniell W, Stockbridge H, Claypoole K, Rosenstock L. Immunologic, psychological and neuropsychological factors in multiple chemical sensitivity: a controlled study. Ann Intern Med 119: 97-103 (1993).
61. Ziem G, Donnay A. Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and chemical sensitivity: overlapping disorders. Arch Intern Med 155:1913 (1995).
62. Davidoff R. Migraines: Manifestations, Pathogenesis and Management. Philadelphia:FA Davis, 1995.
63. Hagstadius S, Orbaek P, Risberg J, Lindgren M. Regional cerebral blood flow at the time of diagnosis of chronic toxic encephalopathy induced by organic solvent exposure and after cessation of exposure. Scand J Work Environ Health 15:130-135 (1989).
64. Callender T, Morrow L, Subramanian K, Duhon D, Ristovv M. Three-dimensional brain metabolic imaging in patients with toxic encephalopathy. Environ Res 60:295-319 (1993).
65. Callender T, Morrow L, Subramanian K. Evaluation of chronic neurological sequelae after acute pesticide exposure using SPECT brain scans. J Toxicol Environ Health 41:275-284 (1995).

And who do I send the bill to?
Rob.

Nice cut and paste.:) Okay I gather you are claiming that Naptha, Benzene and V.O.C.s are in common kerosene. What is your source for that claim and what are the percentages? Since Diesel and fuel oil are also recommended thinning agents what nasties are in them?

Considering the ammount of spilled fuel and unburned fuel exiting the exhaust we are exposed to, just how significant is our bar lube thinning agent exposure?:confused:

We also have a few thousand more "cut and paste" references within our database.
Justin I don't have the resources to fund your enquiry. Also it's unrealistic to do a study on chainsaw users. Besides what would you do with (or care) about the outcome?

I'm not slamming you for cutting and pasting. I thought it was cute that you filled a couple of boxes after you were called on for documentation. It seems like you could at least furnish one source for your claim that kerosene has nasty stuff in it. My other questions are more rhetorical in nature. I don't expect you to have all THAT info but I do think that maybe we need a little perspective. Just how many V.O.C.s can the fuel for non catalytic lamps and incompletely combusting catalytic space heaters have in our litigous society? If the fumes from the lamp aren't going to kill you in a conclusive manner how much danger is posed by 10% of your bar lube of which 99.5% of (according to Tom's questionable research source) goes somewhere other than on you?:angel:

Brian, who is dragging this thread off topic? Hell not you. Now go back to gathering your peanuts, it's going to be a long cold winter.
Ironwood try some canola oil commonly found at any grocery store. It’s food grade oil and does not contain toxic chemicals of which any responsible arborist or chainsaw operator would recommend using.

Thanks guys...I'll try kerosene. It has to be hard on the oiling system and lack of oil to the B&C if the viscosity is too thick before things get warmed up for the "first cut".

Rob...Since it's only 45deg. here now, I put some canola oil in the freezer. It does get thicker when cooled down, as kerosene would probably not. Canola might be an alternative. Thanks.

Ironwood, I think that Rob meant for you to use straight canola oil. It does work pretty well and doesn't get as thick as summer bar oil down to 15*F-Below that I haven't tried it.:)

Rob, Start looking. You can find claims for all sorts of nasty stuff in food grade vegetable oils. You see, the big corporations are trying to poison us. All in the interest of profits they will kill all of their customers so that they have no one left to sell to.:rolleyes:

Naw... 'cause first I would have to care.

I know how to avoid cancer. -Don't eat, drink or breathe anything. That is 100% guaranteed to prevent death by cancer but it sure shortens and takes the fun out of life. Of course I do care about toxic chemicals and things that are demonstrably bad for me that I can easily avoid, but I can't control everything and worrying about it isn't healthy.

Oh sure Justin,,, it's always ME ME ME isn't it? What about the wild life? No more Fries and chips for you then! And where did Rocky go? Brian don't make me come down there ( January 16 to Feb 16) to kick your butt!

Just as long as you guy'ses statistical proofs doesn't include lab rats i'll listen.

Cuz'i have statistical proof that being a lab rat alone shortens your life span; thereby invalidating many previous theories, based on such results as life span.....?:D

Back to thinning....

I know it's late in the discussion, but I'll throw this out whether or not it's still relevant....

From the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual that I just picked up at the local Stihl dealer the other day, page 89.

Page titled "Cutting in Cold Weather",
"OIL-use a lighter weight of bar-chain oil, or dilute bar-chain oil 25 percent with clean kerosene or diesel oil. Use twice as much of this diluted oil during operation, and be certain your chain is recieving oil from the saw."

So it sounds like (according to Oregon, anyway) that diluting is fine, but you probably need an adjustable oiler on the saw....

Dan

"You can find claims for all sorts of nasty stuff in food grade vegetable oils. You see, the big corporations are trying to poison us. All in the interest of profits they will kill all of their customers so that they have no one left to sell to."

Careful Justin, you started channeling Oakwilt for a minute.:D

I just use lo temp bar oil. I can't imagine working around the stink of diesel or kerosene slinging off the bar.

I guess I'll have to stop using kerosene to kill intestinal parasites.

Where (outside of a lab) would one go to find "pure kerosene"?

How (without playing blind cut and paste) is "pure kerosene" different than retail kerosene?

Is lighting the surrounding woods on fire to raise the outside temp an acceptable solution to cold weather cuttin'?

If I insult Rocky 6 or 8 times will it help him to see things my way?

Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all"?

kerosene

If it's the smell you're after, buy that scented lamp oil at the dollar store, you can get all the flavors your wife loves. Don't tell her it's for the saws.

Don't use canola oil ! ! ! It solidified to candle wax in the "freezer experiment". I vote for kerosene.

Latest posts

Back