Thinning the Herd (MS361,460,660)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't sell any of them as i already have similar saws and is about to buy a 660 with a 30" bar :cheers:
And i could never sell any of my kids :cry:
CAD for ever.:givebeer:

I think you'd be better off with the 460 in place of the 660. I'd sell the 660 and keep all the rest. I have a very similar lineup and the spacing is just about perfect between the saws regarding weight to hp increase. I don't really need my 210, but it's just a fun saw to have around. Plus, your 660 will bring in the most money to buy your next saw.

-Mel

You're thinking TOO much. Just keep the saws you have. You've got a fine lineup that will do anything you want. You will regret the day you let go of any one of them...especially that 660.

either keep them all or sell the 361.. its a good saw, but the time I used one, it didn't live up to the hype..

I have the 460 and love it. It is a little heavier than the 440 but the power diff is noticeable. Sounds like you may be best suited with a 24" inch bar as this preserves most of the power.

I rarely run my 50cc saw anymore (see sig, I guess) I try to keep it full of fresh fuel so it does get some hours... but a 16" bar on the 361 outclasses it in power, and I don't feel it penalizes you with excess weight and bulk for limbing applications.

It also will run the 16" bar buried faster, and has the option of stepping up to a 20" bar. I find a 59cc-60cc type saw the best one all around saw. Since you do have a 192t you like for limbing, I think the 260 could leave the line up, and not be sorely missed.

For the larger end of the spectrum, a 460 would be a nice take off point from the 361. I have never ran a 660 so I can't comment on its weight and bulk, but I usually find if I am in wood big enough to make my 361 work a little too much, its big enough the 394xp can really come out and play. Surely the lighter 660 would be at home with a 24" bar.

Good luck, I often debate on ditching my 353... but I never bring myself to posting the ad in the trading post... ITS TOO HARD!

Well it is official......I am in the market for a 460. Yesterday a Craigslist buyer came and got the 361 and a very nice member of this site came and got the 660. The herd is now a little thin as it just has runts left in the herd.....I only have slightly used 192T and a 260 that I bought in parts and needs to be assembled. Hopefully I won't have a need to cut anything big for a while.

Not sure if I should buy new.....or watch for a used 460. I have bought a couple of very nice used Stihls....and am not opposed to getting a very clean used one.

Let the Shopping begin!!!!

Last edited:
Just my thoughts, but I would keep the 361 and the 660 and dump the 260. The 260 is a little light for some of it, the 361 does everything, and it cures cancer. The 660 can cut anything that you would ever need to cut, including stumps and it isn't too heavy to use in place of a 460.

This is exactly what I am thinking: I have an MS360 which is a great goto saw; combining that with a small tophandle (MS200T /192 I actually like my little Echo CS3000) and an MS660 seems perfect to me. The MS660 power to weight ratio is very good so I would prefer it to the 460. I just tried a 660 the other day and I did not find it difficult to handle. Of course time of use is a factor as I am sure that I would rather use my 360 for 8 hours straight to a 660 if cutting smaller logs that the 360 can handle. But if the logs are larger the 360 will take more time to get the job done and would likely be more taxing to use in the long run. For me it is going to be a reliable top handle for small trimming, an MS360/361/362 and a MS660. I think that will more than cover it for a do it yourself homeowner and maybe even for some who make their living at it...

I like my MS460, great power and not too heavy. It pulls a 25" bar like nothing. The saw I use the most is my MS260 also, love that little saw. My MS200t gets a lot of miles on it too, it travels good in the tractor for liming around the fields. Those are the saws that I use the most. I have the others because of CAD!!!! and this site!!!!!! I LOVE CAD but my wallet doesn't...

This thread is about 1.5 years old....but I don't mind talking it over again.

I ended up selling the 361 and the 660 and I bought a 460. For me this three saw lineup works just great. The 192T with a 12 inch bar works great for cutting the limbs and branches that are destined for the brush pile or chipper. I can cut a branch and then hold onto the saw with my right hand while I drag the limb out a bit to make room for the next cut. The 260 with a 16" bar works well for anything that is up to about 8 inches or so and is very easy to carry around and pretty good on fuel. (MS260 has the ports cleaned up, the piston smoothed out, and a muffler mod). If I only have a few cuts in a bigger diameter log and I have the 260 out I might just use the 260 - but if I get to a tree with branches or a trunk that will have lots of larger diameter cuts I break out the 460. The 460 has a 20" bar most of the time and a 32" bar when necessary. (MS460 has a muffler mod).

I currently have several years of wood cut, split and stacked and I spend most of my time cleaning out downed limbs and trees and cleaning up brush. Therefore I spend most of my current time with the 192T or the 260 just cutting limbs and trees that fall down.

My 3 saw lineup serves me well - I seldom have any wood that requires a 660.

Last edited:
Back