this guy scares me

• Thread starter Deleted member 83629
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what my Mechanic bud was saying. We were just talking about it again the other day as a almost bought one for $400 out of the pawn shop that looked in good shape. Leaking at the seal fue to crank wear. I'll ask him again but definitely he has had all kinds doing the same thing. Wearing. I'll post it here.

maybe your buddy is having the same problems as me? what i've been seeing for years is the crank shaft actually spins in the inner race of the bearing. really is sad actually as husky has had plenty of time to fix it. never had that issue on a 372. there is an updated bearing for the 385/390 but the sad thing is the last one i did actually had the tightest fit with an old original 385 bearing which wasn't the updated. little bit of loctite and she'll be good :)

Lol unless I missed something here???..I keep asking when??? a thought we were going to wait for the next .375
I am very tired and do work EVERY day so please clue me in to the rest and see what I can make happen. Thank you Hedge and best of luck to you also.
I don't own a 50 bar think I can work with it, just as long as the rails are tight and not some lite arbor bar, It is just work chain heat, right, not modified?
Thnx again

maybe your buddy is having the same problems as me? what i've been seeing for years is the crank shaft actually spins in the inner race of the bearing. really is sad actually as husky has had plenty of time to fix it. never had that issue on a 372. there is an updated bearing for the 385/390 but the sad thing is the last one i did actually had the tightest fit with an old original 385 bearing which wasn't the updated. little bit of loctite and she'll be good :)
Maybe that's it but the cranks are phucked

only 70 per Km. its cheap. that Alberta for ya. lots of easy ground though. Old existing line and a ton of cut blocks and muskeg with little black spruce. Sometimes you just ride and pick up money. The days you work the harders you make the least. Have been getting 8-9 per day from about 10 - 4 . today was bad though after getting into our heads. If the BC jobs got after Christmas its 165 per KM
Which is awesome, I'm getting a better partner if she flys. It's bad economy now and oil was $38 a barrel today. They usually like to do business at about $65 - 70$ I lot of company's are closings shop for now. Lots of layoffs in Calgary??
I don't think it will come back to 2017. Our $ hit a low since 2004 at 74.?? To USD. I wouldn't doubt if I end up fall and burn again shortly after Christmas.?

Lol unless I missed something here???..I keep asking when??? a thought we were going to wait for the next .375
I am very tired and do work EVERY day so please clue me in to the rest and see what I can make happen. Thank you Hedge and best of luck to you also.
I don't own a 50 bar think I can work with it, just as long as the rails are tight and not some lite arbor bar, It is just work chain heat, right, not modified?
Thnx again
No need to rush this bud !
We can wait for another weekend or another GTG.
Hedge is having some fellas over this weekend, if you cant make it, I can wait for you to be ready.
I do know that Hedge would probably run them whenever he has time and can fit it in his schedule, but be ready to be embarrassed, like I will be. I would wager that he will run a chain of his along with ours so he can get "perspective" and his chain will show us both what a real good one can do.

I will do a work chain only.
Nothing special, just a clean gullet, a set raker, and a square tooth. Nothing else.
My round will also be the same thing, just a filed round with a clean gullet and a set raker.
Nothing fancy, nothing more ................ I invite Hedge to take pictures of any tooth he or you desire and then post them up.
I just hope my round can compete with yours.
You set the time table with Hedge, I will just be along for the ride Sir.

I guess I didn't think this out, My Mum said I'm not allowed to talk to strangers
Ha-ha

No I was thinking a could just put a 50 on a bar 58 just to file it. except there is one problem, I don't have a bar smaller than a 20:dizzy: I'm getting stupider every day.
Maybe I will buy one and return it (when I get the chain). yeah I'll do that. It won't be this weekend, I think I work til the 21 or 22nd . we will be going to the sawshop in a few days when we get chain oil. It's always closed when we get back. I'll keep you posted if it looks like I can get it sent off soon.
Yes that's pretty much all I do to my chain. I was a nature filer right of the hop,
I heard my Dad say "just a couple of passes on each tooth so thats what I was doing despite the plating chiped back.
Then I got a job, dry sort bucking in 1989
At that time I was using the new 2101 and when the they unloaded the off road logging truck I would just be done and he'd be back. I never had time to eat.
The log scaller gave me a 10 min lesson on the raker and filing out All the damage.
So yes, 2or 3 passes providing you didn't run it into the rocks...lol
I still had a good understand of the cutter edge and where that file needed to sit.
It came to me fast and in '92, (tree spacing) in the interior I filed a little 377
(37.7 CC)
Shindaiwa for a friend and he was falling all the mature pine that had Mistletoe.(first day)
Doing a "one handed backhand" , the tree set back on the bar and stopped the rotation He had the trigger on as he pushed and that saw shot out of the cut and right through his new Faller pants and half way through his leg at the bottom of the knee cap (3150 FPM threshold pants) after 4 hours of cutting with it.
Now having said that, I don't think I do anything different 25 yrs latter just more theory, higher rakers. Some text book round filing at times, thats 10° up into the corner. Keeps things smooth, nice with the dogs, long shavings but I still max hook in the softwood and flattenn out. Could not tell you if there is faster ways to file round on average? sometimes chomping ends up bouncing, especially puncky wood and 1/4 throttle gets you there just as quick. "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and that's basically why I stopped tri filing. I couldn't beat my round but it always looked good but I would end up disappointed I have used more than a few fallers grinders in camp that they set up and its hard not to like it but in the softwoods I don't seem to see noticeable speed differences in work chains?
Mike's looks typical of a coast fallers grind. Brian's looks thin with that style of file, bTW I bought one like that in '93 for 11 bucks I believe. Most Fallers and saw operations, saw shops would not have ever heard of square chain and files.
Pretty strictly coast Faller and some coast saw shops.

I guess I didn't think this out, My Mum said I'm not allowed to talk to strangers
Ha-ha

No I was thinking a could just put a 50 on a bar 58 just to file it. except there is one problem, I don't have a bar smaller than a 20:dizzy: I'm getting stupider every day.
Maybe I will buy one and return it (when I get the chain). yeah I'll do that. It won't be this weekend, I think I work til the 21 or 22nd . we will be going to the sawshop in a few days when we get chain oil. It's always closed when we get back. I'll keep you posted if it looks like I can get it sent off soon.
Yes that's pretty much all I do to my chain. I was a nature filer right of the hop,
I heard my Dad say "just a couple of passes on each tooth so thats what I was doing despite the plating chiped back.
Then I got a job, dry sort bucking in 1989
At that time I was using the new 2101 and when the they unloaded the off road logging truck I would just be done and he'd be back. I never had time to eat.
The log scaller gave me a 10 min lesson on the raker and filing out All the damage.
So yes, 2or 3 passes providing you didn't run it into the rocks...lol
I still had a good understand of the cutter edge and where that file needed to sit.
It came to me fast and in '92, (tree spacing) in the interior I filed a little 377
(37.7 CC)
Shindaiwa for a friend and he was falling all the mature pine that had Mistletoe.(first day)
Doing a "one handed backhand" , the tree set back on the bar and stopped the rotation He had the trigger on as he pushed and that saw shot out of the cut and right through his new Faller pants and half way through his leg at the bottom of the knee cap (3150 FPM threshold pants) after 4 hours of cutting with it.
Now having said that, I don't think I do anything different 25 yrs latter just more theory, higher rakers. Some text book round filing at times, thats 10° up into the corner. Keeps things smooth, nice with the dogs, long shavings but I still max hook in the softwood and flattenn out. Could not tell you if there is faster ways to file round on average? sometimes chomping ends up bouncing, especially puncky wood and 1/4 throttle gets you there just as quick. "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and that's basically why I stopped tri filing. I couldn't beat my round but it always looked good but I would end up disappointed I have used more than a few fallers grinders in camp that they set up and its hard not to like it but in the softwoods I don't seem to see noticeable speed differences in work chains?
Mike's looks typical of a coast fallers grind. Brian's looks thin with that style of file, bTW I bought one like that in '93 for 11 bucks I believe. Most Fallers and saw operations, saw shops would not have ever heard of square chain and files.
Pretty strictly coast Faller and some coast saw shops.
Do you need any tree spacers out there WBF? I've been called the Wayne Gretzski of juvenile spacing, mostly due to my stump jumping abilities. Lol
John

. It won't be this weekend, I think I work til the 21 or 22nd . we will be going to the sawshop in a few days when we get chain oil. It's always closed when we get back. I'll keep you posted if it looks like I can get it sent off soon.

My square is ready to go Jamie

60 DL of .375 in .050 .......... plain, old, used, slightly rusted work chain

Lemme know when your are sending yours to Hedgerow and mine will go out the same day, or the next day.
My end of the bet will be in the box with my chain, in case you win.

I am also going to include a round filed chain in the box so if Hedgerow has the time, he can run my round with our bet chains so I can get some idea on how my round compares to yours

My square is ready to go Jamie

60 DL of .375 in .050 .......... plain, old, used, slightly rusted work chain

Lemme know when your are sending yours to Hedgerow and mine will go out the same day, or the next day.
My end of the bet will be in the box with my chain, in case you win.

I am also going to include a round filed chain in the box so if Hedgerow has the time, he can run my round with our bet chains so I can get some idea on how my round compares to yours
Hey Mopar,hows things?
OK that sounds good. I know you are chomping at the bit but its going to be something I will take on, on my first/second day off, (22nd) but I will send it priority air mail. I've been cutting Turn-key everyday and my saws are in the bush staying climatized. I'm glad you are sending a round chisel too. I'll go 700 on that one...lol I'm just joking. As I mentioned, I don't believe my filing have evolved (speed wise) in a quarter of a century. I would assume they should be the same there abouts. To me they both would be referred to as, nice cutting or sharp and dosen't go further than that...or that is until now. Basically we can file or 'we' can't.
Filing Pro style has to work in all aspects so 'you' find what works and holds an edge and you stay with it. Maybe I could find a slight speed advantage but wouldn't be a true work chain. Don't know, and never had the need to play around with it. My chains are fast enough to limb or cut small samplings without impeding my forward movement and slow enough to get a split second rest in the smaller crosscuts.
Talk soon
Thanks for letting me pick the particulars,
Gives it game, good on you

Latest posts

Back