This is awesome - eletrolytic rust removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.. CSP.. part of growing up is getting "wacked" by your dad for being real stupid... or in my case, completely out of control. He'd get locked up now...

Why not a giant Tesla Coil kind of aimed at the container?

^^ no. this is just silly. Tesla coils are AC anyway, typically 150 KHz or so, and put out very little actual current.

use a battery charger, and limit the current using a lightbulb. it's real kitchen sink stuff for anything up to the size of an engine block. If you have big stuff, it will just take longer.

Tonight I used an old model train power supply and Sodium Hydroxide to clean a Stanley #3 plane I got off eBay a couple weeks ago. It was a bit rustier than it looked in the pics... Cleaned it right up though. I'd like to let it work longer, but the caustic soda wasn't doing the japanning any favors. That train power supply is perfect. It puts out about 15V DC, and it has a switch to reverse polarity without switching wires. I don't know how much current it delivers but it bubbles away pretty good.

Back