This Is Why I Sharpen My Own Chains!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes you think that bore cutting will be more problematic with that chain? To my eye it doesn't look sharp at all. In fact to my eyes it looks like a complete hack job.
Because I have actually used it and can attest to its feistyness attempting to bore cut dead seasoned oak. It chattered like crazy and wanted to rip the saw out of my hands.

The side plate angle that your cutters are ground at don’t look excessively sharp, which would make it more aggressive yet. Are the depth gauges too low?
The depth gauges were also ground but are about right according to my progressive gauge.

I'd say the chain on the right was hand filed to me, that grinder head would have to be tilted pretty hard to get that hook on left. Agree the riders are pretty low, too much hook. The right chain looks like it could have used a new drive sprocket and some bar maintenance too!

I'd say the chain on the right was hand filed to me, that grinder head would have to be tilted pretty hard to get that hook on left. Agree the riders are pretty low, too much hook. The right chain looks like it could have used a new drive sprocket and some bar maintenance too!
The photos are opposite sides of the same chain. They were definitely put on a grinder. Good point on this possibly screwing up the drive links. I didn't look closely at them.

Latest posts

Back