This Is Why I Sharpen My Own Chains!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t tell if you’re yelling or if you accidentally got the black paint all over your fingers again 🙄😁
I have no idea where that comes from, I did not re set any settings on this site, that dark ink just starts up on its own and actually does not show up much darker on my screen, likely due to the light background choice I made a few months back, let me see if I can change it.

I have no idea where that comes from, I did not re set any settings on this site, that dark ink just starts up on its own and actually does not show up much darker on my screen, likely due to the light background choice I made a few months back, let me see if I can change it.
Just giving you some crap. I figured you bumped the ‘Bold’ icon ahead of time

Those chains on an 066 would absolutely rip softwood species of wood to pieces. If the powerhead has the power a chain can be adjusted to the species of wood being harvested. Someone with the hours under their belt will sharpen a chain to suit both his powerhead and the species and size of wood he is dealing with and often that chain will not resemble a stock chain at all, and all manufacturers recommendations are thrown out the
I bet they would cut like shidt. The top plate and side plate angles look pretty dull and that's that happens when you run the wheel too deep. Instead of cutting on the curved face of the wheel tip you end up grinding the most important part of the tooth on the flat of the wheel.

I bet they would cut like shidt. The top plate and side plate angles look pretty dull and that's that happens when you run the wheel too deep. Instead of cutting on the curved face of the wheel tip you end up grinding the most important part of the tooth on the flat of the wheel.
From the pics I can not see the top plate angle or if the underside of the top plate is sharp but the side on pics showing the tooth profile that others were commenting on does look similar to some chains I run, of course they are actually sharp.

It's pretty much Hexa with more angle. @SteveSr put them in wood! or send them to me. ;-D

1/4”, 3/8p, and .325 use the same 1/8”wheel. 3/8 and .404 use a 3/16 wheel. Larger chain can be sharpened with thinner wheels if the guy knows what he’s doing. In this case, it’s the Indian, not the arrow

Stihl uses the same wheel for .325 and 3/8. Actually on the label of the wheel. Dimensions are metric.
So, I don't suppose it's all that critical.

Not the greatest job, too much hook, and looks pretty inconsistent as ti where he held his file, but if they cut. 🤷‍♂️ wonder if he was even using the right sized file, some of the cutters look like it was too small a file the way he's dug into near the gullet area.
As others have noted this was done with a grinder that someone didn't know how to use.

BONUS QUESTION - Do you think that a local shop with a Franzen sharpening machine could fix it?

The top angle is correct and the tooth is sharp. However, we need these to be able to bore cut and this chain is way too aggressive for that.
What makes you think that bore cutting will be more problematic with that chain? To my eye it doesn't look sharp at all. In fact to my eyes it looks like a complete hack job.

As others have noted this was done with a grinder that someone didn't know how to use.

BONUS QUESTION - Do you think that a local shop with a Franzen sharpening machine could fix it?
One or two more sharpenings and those chains will look normal

Latest posts

Back