This`ll make you cringe.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vibes

Vibes

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm no arborist but I do a lot of crane lifts. I always tell people when something is swinging or about to swing to not put yourself in a pinch point like that guy did.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I feel sorry for the putz. After 40 years of doing tree work it fails to amaze me what people will do to save a buck. Back in the 70's we had a customer with a Bradford Pear split in half in the front yard. The Neighbor across the street had one down too. As we pulled up he came running over with his hand up in the air, bandaged up as big as a ball glove. I said excuse me I have work to do and started gassing my saw. My helper started the 16" drum chipper. As I trimmed he chipped and we were done in about half and hour. Charged her $125. Then I went over and talked to the neighbor. His project and cut hand took two days to complete. He rented a trailer for $35 a day, a saw for $25, and 3 teenagers for $8 an hour. He still thought he was doing a good job untill he saw how long it took us and I told him we did it for $125, Joe.

mrbentontoyou

mrbentontoyou

ArboristSite Member
Yeesh....

that vid just made up my mind about whether or not to shell out for a pro when the time comes.

not worth it to take the chance doing something dangerous when you aren't sure of what you're doing.

(and by shell out for a pro I'm not talking about a trip to Vegas)...:hmm3grin2orange:

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
It was a suicide mission. Classic pinned climber scenario, not that he's a pro climber. Just shows how quick it can happen, harness and rope or not, still have to have brains and experience in the equation.

Gots to agree with that. The fact that he was making a cross before he started is proof that he was very unsecure about what was going to happen anyway. Sure he didn't think far enough ahead about the possible risks, so he got hurt.

Tough old guy anyway. I would have dropped that saw in a split second.

Using your brains is the most important thing for whatever mission you undertake. Admitting that a particular job is over your head sometimes is not a sign of weakness, but a honoust assessment of your skills, which deserves respect and understanding.

Last edited:
Ironworker

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction, always check you rigging and see how things are going to react before you make a move and always have an escape route. I am a Structural Ironworker and we have a saying "NEVER PUT YOUR FINGER WHERE YOU WOULDN'T PUT YOUR CRANK" I think that applys here

Last edited:
banshee67

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
he probably shouldnt have done the sign of the cross prayer before he went up the ladder.
how would god feel about him destroying the trees he "created" ?
kind of a slap in the face to the old bearded dude, no?

bcsizemo

bcsizemo

ArboristSite Member
I agree with everyone else, he held on to that saw for a good amount of time.

I like how he looks at it and is just, "Well hell, I hate to toss you out of a tree, but I ain't getting down without both hands either."

I'm not sure I've ever used a chainsaw on a ladder/in a tree like that...
I usually use a hand saw for things up high. Sure it takes a lot longer, but at least I'm in control.

And to the guy cutting on that tree forever....geez my CS-440 with a dull chain could do it in half the time.

Roanoker494

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Why did he not drop the saw? Shock, plain and simple. At the point of impact your adrenaline starts pumping and you are not even aware of your surrounds for a few minutes. When I broke my arm I even thought I was dreaming for a few minutes because of the lack of pain, the movies lead you to believe it will be the most painful thing you have ever experienced. For me that was not the case. My arm was broken in a car accident, I actually watched my arm as it folded in half and the bones came through the skin. The pain did not set in until I was in the Trauma center and they forced my arm into a temporary splint, I assume the pain was from the restricted room for the swelling. I do not have pictures, much less video, of the accident or before the doctor pieced me back together, but I do have pictures from a week afterward with they removed the splint. I was never in a true cast because of the risk of infection and the doctor used plates, screws, pins, chewing gum and a pint of Bondo to put it back together. Pictures are below and it is your choice to view them, I will not embed them due to the nature of them. There is a total of 49 staples and 14 stitches. The second picture is the worst of the two.

purdyite

purdyite

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
It appears that he had it roped off so that the pull of the rope was actually toward the trunk--there appeared to be NO slack in it so it was under lateral tension as well as vertical. So even with the limb weight out past the rope, the free limb was going to swing backwards--something to be assessed BEFORE you cut it!

There's great value in reading the potential energies of all the components involved. He basically made a big spring pole. Those pent-up energies will gitcha.

Anthony_Va.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
Why did he not drop the saw? Shock, plain and simple. At the point of impact your adrenaline starts pumping and you are not even aware of your surrounds for a few minutes. When I broke my arm I even thought I was dreaming for a few minutes because of the lack of pain, the movies lead you to believe it will be the most painful thing you have ever experienced. For me that was not the case. My arm was broken in a car accident, I actually watched my arm as it folded in half and the bones came through the skin. The pain did not set in until I was in the Trauma center and they forced my arm into a temporary splint, I assume the pain was from the restricted room for the swelling. I do not have pictures, much less video, of the accident or before the doctor pieced me back together, but I do have pictures from a week afterward with they removed the splint. I was never in a true cast because of the risk of infection and the doctor used plates, screws, pins, chewing gum and a pint of Bondo to put it back together. Pictures are below and it is your choice to view them, I will not embed them due to the nature of them. There is a total of 49 staples and 14 stitches. The second picture is the worst of the two.

Dang man. Thats some mean looking damage you had there. Must be some wicked scars. Must have been a really bad break. Is everything healed up good now?