This saw is how old?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JustinM

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
This saw is how old? Mint Husky 50 Special Edition

So I was skimming my local Kijiji (Ive been having more luck with it lately, than craigslist) the other day & came across an ad that simply said "older husqvarna 50. $100" No picture, no fanfare etc. It was located about an hour's drive from my place & even though I usually dont go looking for smaller saws, I had to go by there anyway, so I made arrangements to see the saw.

I was blown away when I got there. The owner said he bought it new in the late 80's/early nineties (i think the 50 special edition was only in production for 3 years), cut some landscaping ties with it, drained it* then put it away (in the carry bag that was included in the price). Forgot he had it until the other day when he was cleaning up the garage. (* IF only all non-saw users knew enough to drain their saws when they put them away for storage!!)

He said he hadnt even tested it - i brought some mix - filled it, 2 pulls and it fired right up like it was brand-new. Crazy.

Anyway, suffice to say I bought it. Haggled a little & got him to throw in some other stuff (rather than drop the price) which made the deal even sweeter. I am still sort of blown away at the condition of this saw - its in better shape than some of my 2 or 3 year old saws that have seen limited use. Not too shabby for a 23 year old saw!

241473d1339527124-dsc08468-jpg

241472d1339527117-dsc08466-jpg

241474d1339527169-dsc08471-jpg

241475d1339527175-dsc08473-jpg

Last edited:
tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice score! I came across one almost as nice as yours a little while ago, but stored with old gas. A bit of cleaning and a bit of tru-fuel and and it fired right up.

I was pretty impressed with how well it started after all those years of sitting. Almost didn't want to sell it but too many projects on the go and you know how it is.

mattinky

mattinky

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice score, I'm green with envy! I bought a 50 Special new in 1990, I was thinking they were only made for 1 year but I'm probably wrong. The 50 and 50 rancher use a 44mm piston, the 50 Special uses a 45mm piston like the 51... I always 'kinda thought of the 50 Special as the predecessor to the 51.

They're great saws that will run forever if you take care of them. It's very hard to find one in that condition. Almost every one of those saws you see is missing the gray plastic insert on the recoil cover that has the "Husqvarna 50" logo on it. If I were going to use the saw I'd find an old recoil to put on it when I used it as that part is no longer available.

ChainFinn

ChainFinn

ArboristSite Operative
Old biohazard, send it to me and ill take care of it :cool2:

Nice catch man, could you tell me, whats included in the SPECIAL version, compared to non-special ?
More power maybe or what ?

JustinM

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
He is probably right. I had a 85 model 50 just like yours.

What makes you believe yours is a 50 special? It's not labeled as one?

Nice find though.

But but, it seems so special!! Actually, Mark - i have absolutely no idea why I thought it was a special edition!! I think the original ad *may have* said "special" in it & I never really thought more about it? Dunno. So odd, because as you said - its clearly not marked as one, so you're right it most certainly is not. Funny.

Know that we've got that out of the way, then it most likely is an 85, which means its shape is even more remarkable as its actually closer to 27 or 28 years old. :)

Hermann

Hermann

ArboristSite Operative
Looks just like my Rancher 50 - except a little cleaner and newer. That's a great score under 100.. It worked quite well, but now I need a new 44mm piston as the saw WAS NOT stored empty for quite a long period.

One thing I never understood about this saw - got it from my Dad, is how the choke works - the choke switch just seems to press on a bulb on the air filter - no linkage to the carb??

Last edited:
ChainFinn

ChainFinn

ArboristSite Operative
50 Special should have a plate saying "Special", the part number for the tag/sticker or what ever that is, is #503 10 60-04, its says Special ;)

Does your saw have Walbro WA82 carb ?