This was not my idea. Really...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Wheelock

Finis Origine Pendet
Reaction score
My buddy asked me to help out getting a good size oak felled, limbed, and bucked on his property. Said he didn't like working along when doing this type of work; now I know why. :eek: He decided to set a rope 2/3 up the tree and tie off to his backhoe. Then set a ladder on his bucket tractor, make a back cut (no face) as far as he would reach, then go back and yank the tree down with the backhoe. I said why not make a proper cut on the ground, put the tree where it needs to go, and eliminate the risk. He said because of the proximity of power lines (visible in one picture) and his intent to do as little damage to trees near the felling line, he'd prefer to do it his way; said he'd done it this way lots of times. Thought he was going to cut his leg off trying to start the saw on the ladder. Anyway, I yelled at him to stop cutting when I saw the tree was starting to give. The backhoe wasn't far enough away and I figured the tree top would catch the cab, but the tree, with no hinge to control the fall, went its own way, smashing a couple of maples and cleaning off the lower branches of the pine he wanted to leave alone. Then he proceeded with the cleanup with a top handle saw, holding the small stuff with one hand and one-handing the saw with the other. You can't make this stuff up. Pictures tell the story:

BucketLadder.jpg OakChair.jpg

Glad you were there to dial the last 1 in 911 when he needed it..........OMG. :dizzy:

That's hope people get hurt and killed. He shoulda listened to you and he would still have undamaged trees also....

Ladder + chainsaw = trouble. Ladder in tractor bucket is a multiplier of the amount and severity of things that can go wrong. Glad no one was hurt...

Been in a bucket with a saw and did not like it. Cant even imagine a ladder in a bucket. Glad everyone made it home.

My buddy asked me to help out getting a good size oak felled, limbed, and bucked on his property. Said he didn't like working along when doing this type of work; now I know why. :eek: He decided to set a rope 2/3 up the tree and tie off to his backhoe. Then set a ladder on his bucket tractor, make a back cut (no face) as far as he would reach, then go back and yank the tree down with the backhoe. I said why not make a proper cut on the ground, put the tree where it needs to go, and eliminate the risk. He said because of the proximity of power lines (visible in one picture) and his intent to do as little damage to trees near the felling line, he'd prefer to do it his way; said he'd done it this way lots of times. Thought he was going to cut his leg off trying to start the saw on the ladder. Anyway, I yelled at him to stop cutting when I saw the tree was starting to give. The backhoe wasn't far enough away and I figured the tree top would catch the cab, but the tree, with no hinge to control the fall, went its own way, smashing a couple of maples and cleaning off the lower branches of the pine he wanted to leave alone. Then he proceeded with the cleanup with a top handle saw, holding the small stuff with one hand and one-handing the saw with the other. You can't make this stuff up. Pictures tell the story:

View attachment 419682 View attachment 419683
this just proves "you can not stop or fix stupid"....... makes you wonder how some make it to the old age of senior?

Is it kosher to call in the EMT's before they are actually needed... like for a sports event?
Yeah, I was snapping pix for the entertainment value, figuring I could call 911 and that he'd probably survive, up to the point where he was making his back cut (no face) with his head directly in the path of what I figured was a chair for sure. Also occurred to me that the stem might then hop backward and pile drive him into the ground. At that point I lost all interest in entertainment and started yelling at him for all I was worth. Too bad I lost my nerve; you would have enjoyed the photo of him making the back cut.

He's made mistakes in judgement before, like the time he made a riding ring out of 3' diameter boulders twenty years ago. Of course, a horse later bucked him head-first into one of the boulders. He still has a sore neck from that...

He's made mistakes in judgement before, like the time he made a riding ring out of 3' diameter boulders twenty years ago. Of course, a horse later bucked him head-first into one of the boulders. He still has a sore neck from that...

^^Epic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back