This was not my idea. Really...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought of your friend when I read this ...

Man dies trimming from ladder

A man was found dead after an apparent tree trimming accident March 10, 2015, in Zumbrota, Minnesota, about 25 miles north of Rochester. A friend notified authorities when Dale G., 73, of Zumbrota, didn’t show up for morning coffee on Wednesday. The Sheriff’s Office and Zumbrota Ambulance responded to G.’s residence home in Roscoe Township. G. had apparently been using two ladders and a tractor with bucket to trim a branch 20-25 feet off the ground. The Sheriff's Office said it appears the branch broke off while G. was cutting it with a chain saw. The branch hit the ladder G. was on, sending him to the ground. The accident is believed to have happened the day before he was found, according to the valleynewslive.com and KTTC Television report.

Source: TREE CARE INDUSTRY MAGAZINE – MAY 2015

Ladder + chainsaw = trouble. Ladder in tractor bucket is a multiplier of the amount and severity of things that can go wrong. Glad no one was hurt...

TRUTH! I just visited a very dear friend in our largest regional medical center. He was trimming a limb from a ladder, with a chain saw. No one else was around to watch, help or make sure he was safe. Not knowing how he cut the limb -- we do know the limb came back or fell in such a way that it knocked him from the ladder. He broke his leg bone in two in the fall, and severely fractured bones in his face in the fall. He has had 2 surgeries -- and a long road to recovery. Safety is very important. The cost otherwise is very high! Be safe guys!

That's a pretty good trick...
Ummmmm......
I climb communication towers (and any other structure taller than the trees)... high-speed point-to-point communications antennas ain't much good unless they're some distance above the trees. Luckily I don't live 'n' work where the Redwoods grow, them are some tall trees... typically something between 100' and 300' gets it done 'round here depending on the terrain between points.

Seriously?? The communications towers where you live have stairs??
Heck man, most of ours don't even have ladders.

I climbed trees as a kid... now I'm all grown up... I climb steel.

View attachment 424315 View attachment 424316 View attachment 424317 View attachment 424318
i grew up with a guy does that........or he did, he fell and got banged up good, was tied in but still got some broke ribs. i thought he was nuts for doing it but he made good money.

what kinda chain can i use on them things? :happybanana:

it's gonna be noisy!

Some of them have guy wires to work around, make a Hel of a Siz though, couple guy lines left on one side, should swing like no other...

Maybe we can be ambitious and take one of them old growth wind mill beasties, I hear they're like 16' dbh and 200' tall

hard to get a choker to stick to em though...

scrap yard pays cash lol maybe we should wait till price goes up.
Some of them have guy wires to work around, make a Hel of a Siz though, couple guy lines left on one side, should swing like no other...

Things get to be a bit excitin' when guy wires break or get screwed up.
Usually happens when someone runs into the wires with a tractor... stretches 'em and/or pulls the guy anchor loose.
I've witnessed two of 'em come down while we were trying to save 'em.
Lot's of steel for the scrap yard when that happens.

Cresco 2007-3-12_03.JPG WU_2009-07-29_06.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back