This Winter Colder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawmute

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you think this winter of 2008-2009 will be like? Colder and longer than usual? Many of the "expert guessers" say it might be a cold one - even the Farmer's Almanac. This summer has been milder here in the Mid-south area with a lot more rain, and September is a lot milder than usual.

More and more people are going with wood heat because of the high price of oil/coal energy. That, coupled with colder weather, will mean a whole lot more fire wood will be burned. We started (went back) to total wood heat because of the ridiculous LP gas prices. We now just cook with Lp gas and saved over $1000 in just part of last winter.

I finally caught that dam chicken !
Looks like it Might be a warm one : )

This Winter Colder?

you guys are just getting older. :)

don't blame the weather.

I'll have you know, I'm stilll a spring chi..........
Never mind. don't want anyone lookin at my guts

I don't know. Some wooly worm watchers on tv have said they've been seeing white ones and that means a real cold weather. I saw a couple black ones under my woodpile while putting it up in the barn.

I'm kinda confused. Maybe it's gonna be cold all around me and hot where I'm at 'cause I've got a barn full of wood.

Be scared, be very scared. This will be the biblical cold of Winters. I know. :dizzy:

seems to me that it is getting cooler compared to past years for this time of year. does that mean a colder winter, who knows, I just hope i have enough wood

I hope its even colder than last year. I burned 5 cords last year, have 10 cords for this year....

10 Cords

I just finished my 10th cord today. Now I'll do 10 more over the next 2 months (for winter 2009-10). With an extra years wood on hand I won't run out, It will season for next winter, and I won't have to cut in next summer's heat like I did this year.:greenchainsaw:

black woolybears, trees leaves changing color by the 1st week of august, corn over 12ft high(some more), second corn ear on the stalk fully mature and kernals all the way to the tip of the ear, and a whole crap load of apples-matured early and dropped early. Hay crops were very good this year-grew faster and matured faster than last year...has a little bit to do with the early rains we had but still matured faster than last year.

I'm voting for a cold long winter, no im not old either.

Last edited:
It depends of course where you live. In my case I believe it will remain colder than normal in the central part of the U.S. because we have been stuck in a wet pattern for about 2 years. Once a snowpack is established it doesn't do much to help warm temperatures.

I cut up a persimmon seed yesterday and it has a big spoon in it. Meaning a lot of snow shoveling. But last year was mild and it was a spoon then too.

Yesirreee, it's those G.D. persimmons. Again.:sucks: Chicken Little signing off. :deadhorse:

I hope it is cold, with lots of snow, so i can sell more wood. The beer guys cant get to the woods when the drifts are 4' high... Only leaves the guys with equipment to get to it! Means more $$$$ for me. Hopefully i can make enought $$$ so i can buy another C.A. snowmobile with so my kids can have some fun like i used to when i was thier age.

Cooling off here quite a bit. Pretty early for these cold nights.

The old timers here say if you make a lot of hay and the sunflowers in the ditch are tall it will be a colder, snowier than normal winter. We've had both.

One thing im learning as I age is that about this time every year people start talking about how rough the upcoming winter is going to be.:cheers:

We'll see. I thought last winter was quite a long one and while not excessively cold, it was like we had no spring. I guess it is what it is and there's not much too be done about it. That said, I had the kitchen cookstove going yesterday for the first time this year. Got close too a frost the other night too but not quite. Here's hoping for that lovely Indian Summer! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back