This Winter Colder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's goin' be cold, and my house is goin' be warm because I've got more seasoned hardwood ready to go than I can burn in both my Jotuls if they were going full bore all winter.

We'll see. I thought last winter was quite a long one and while not excessively cold, it was like we had no spring. I guess it is what it is and there's not much too be done about it. That said, I had the kitchen cookstove going yesterday for the first time this year. Got close too a frost the other night too but not quite. Here's hoping for that lovely Indian Summer! :cheers:

It is a sweet time of year Steve....Indian Summer will be coming as you wish. :agree2:
Though last winter was not too cold, it started damn early and went to near June for heating. With 100% dependenced on wood, the house used more wood --close to 6 1/2 cords -- than in past years. More snowfalls also. It would have been fine except for the early snows Downeast that covered wet unfrozen ground until February. Better than tornados, hurricanes, heat....anytime. :cheers:

Most of us here seem to have a pretty firm handle on securing enough firewood for the worst of winters and of course us dealers want to sell more wood, but let's consider the people who won't be able to afford enough raw material to keep their places warm through a long colder than normal winter. Being even the slightest bit cold really sucks.

Most of us here seem to have a pretty firm handle on securing enough firewood for the worst of winters and of course us dealers want to sell more wood, but let's consider the people who won't be able to afford enough raw material to keep their places warm through a long colder than normal winter. Being even the slightest bit cold really sucks.

:agree2:
What we do around here for the elders :
1. Have some extra firewood to give away when needed. Done.
2. Carefully ( there's pride involved ) ask if you can seal up their place. A few tubes of caulking around windows and doors take little time and $$$. Get a couple of spray foam cans too. Those plastic window "kits" are a cinch to put on and cheap. Done.
3. Ask if their furnace has been cleaned and checked out-- sometimes free or change their filters yourself. Easy job. Done.
4. Carefully ( there's some more pride involved ) ask how their winter clothing is. Most older people don't use long underwear or fleece or outdoor stuff that we take for granted. Done.
and
5. Call for them about fuel assistance programs run by county and state agencies. Most elders we know are too proud to call. Done.

Some of you will have better ideas to help out. Do it. :clap:

I don't trust them any farther than I can throw them... The "experts" that is. They predicted a drought summer this year, and if anyone else lives in WNY, they know we've had one of the best growing seasons in decades, plenty of rain, and almost enough sun.

I don't know about temperatures, because WNY has been mild all year, we never broke 90* officially I think, but if the precip holds up like it has during the spring and summer, we're in for record snowfall this year.

The old wives tales indicies are pointing toward a rugged winter:

Early goldenrod bloom. Supposedly, first frost comes 6 weeks after the first bloom.

Those wooly bear catepillars. They're fuzzy briwn with a black ring around the middle. Supposedly, the wider the black ring, the more rugged the winter. The ones I've seen have been almost all black.

About as scientific as a groundhog seeing his shadow, but fun to share some of these old sayings.

Latest posts

Back